Conditioning Without Running

I play wing for UTD’s rugby team and I tend to lose a step or three by the second half. I need to start a conditioning routine on my own, apart from our practice. The problem is that I’m very prone to shin splints, so I prefer to save most of my running for the game. Does anyone have any ideas for conditioning exercises that don’t involve running or jogging? Would a stationary bike or something similar even be worth my time?

Thanks

JMB

It sounds like you need some rope work and some unweighted GPP. Check out the artical Renegade rope training, and renegade body building for a good description of how to set up your GPP.
Good luck
WIll42

Why not build up speed reserve? although this would be an offseason thing it would be a good idea. and to clarify, this is to make yourself as fast as possible so you expend less effort to outrun your opponents, enabling you to keep this level of speed that is greater than your opponents but less than your best, for the game.

Maybe Wing isnt the best position for you eh? unless you are particularly fast. They don’t have that much to do generally.

Although yea that probably depends on your coach.

I used to play wing a few years back, before I quit. It probably wasnt the right position for me either.

As far as conditioning goes, I know what to do, I’m a boxer. Jump roping is good and goin a few rounds on the heavy bag is tremendous. In my experience, aside from running and sprinting, the best conditioning exercise I have done are burpees.

GPP ASAP by Chad Waterbury should solve your needs.

Also the “Aggressive Training” video put out by Mike Mahler has a good slew of exercises (you can take all his kettle bell stuff and apply it to dumbbells)

Your body becomes its function. If you want to be better at running (ie faster or more endurance) then your primary training should be running focussed. Instead of avoiding the problem, I would recommend performing exercises that help to correct shin splints.

Shin splints are generally caused by a muscle strength imbalance around the ankle joint. The tibialis anterior (shin muscle) tends to be too weak relative to the prime movers of the calf in most shin splint sufferers.

My advice, as a fellow shin splint sufferer, is to start a running program slowly. Focus on short sprints 30-40 40 yd dashes per workout, and work your distance up from about 1.5 miles on paced runs. As your shins strengthen, the ideal rugby running workout IMHO would be 6-12 400m sprints.

I hope that helps. Good luck this year.

Todd

[quote]JMB wrote:
I play wing for UTD’s rugby team and I tend to lose a step or three by the second half. I need to start a conditioning routine on my own, apart from our practice. The problem is that I’m very prone to shin splints, so I prefer to save most of my running for the game. Does anyone have any ideas for conditioning exercises that don’t involve running or jogging? Would a stationary bike or something similar even be worth my time?

Thanks

JMB[/quote]

wanna know the greatest conditioning without running, which will help muscle tone and not strip you of your hard earned muscle like alot of cardio does?

Swim my friend… swim alot… if you want me to make you a workout i’d be more then glad…

hoosierdaddy,
Why doesn’t swimming strip you of your hard earned muscle? I’ve noticed this as well, I just want to know why this happens.

[quote]kligor wrote:
hoosierdaddy,
Why doesn’t swimming strip you of your hard earned muscle? I’ve noticed this as well, I just want to know why this happens.[/quote]

Swimming is not an aerobic event, It burn calories, but not as many as low intensity cardio does. Because of the resistance swimming often tend to be a . Anaerobic lactic work: Activity of short duration (25 seconds to 3 minutes) and high intensity: medium to long sprints (150-800m). I feel best result conditionning from swimming would be made by incorporate very different pattern of parameters.

The first idea come to be mind would be every other day alternate interval short burst duration with short/medium rest and longer duration 20-30min of continuous effort lower intensity, give my feedback of you try it.

[quote]toddjacobs13 wrote:
Shin splints are generally caused by a muscle strength imbalance around the ankle joint. The tibialis anterior (shin muscle) tends to be too weak relative to the prime movers of the calf in most shin splint sufferers.

My advice, as a fellow shin splint sufferer, is to start a running program slowly. Focus on short sprints 30-40 40 yd dashes per workout, and work your distance up from about 1.5 miles on paced runs. As your shins strengthen, the ideal rugby running workout IMHO would be 6-12 400m sprints.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting this info.

Do you know what causes the muscle imbalance?

How would one go about addressing this cause? I have a friend who suffers from shin splints. I suspect that running shoes cause shin splints by weakening supporting muscles, but this is just a guess on my part, inferred from the fact that running barefoot has really toughened up all the small muscles in my calves and feet.

With conditioning, I agree that Coach Davies stuff will get you into bad-ass shape. I used a program that incorporated burpess as well some other jumps. Here it is:

1. Jumping Jacks-1 min
  2. L Jumps-1 min (Jump up and bring your legs together in front of you so your body looks like an L. Your legs should make a 90 degree angle with your torso)
    3.Star Jumps-(Jump up and split your legs in the air and bring together before coming down) 1 min
  3. Burpees-1 min
    Go through the cycle twice, for a total of eight min. If it ever gets easy, inrease each jump by 1530 seconds.

Re what toddjacobs13 wrote:
Interesting. That’s what I was told a long time ago, but I didn’t buy it; my tibs are literally a slab of meat. I mean, they are huge. I know size doesn’t always correlate with strength, but I used to walk a lot when I was younger, and I suspect this is a big reason they are this way. Could periods of relative inactivity detrain them to the point that shin splints could start occuring?

Great device for developing the muscles of the lower leg, especially the shins, is called the DARD(Dynamic Axial Resistance Device).
I wanted to try Thib’s running man regimen, but due to shin splints could not continue with the program until I found exercies for the lower leg and bought the DARD. Also running in sand did not effect my shins. I also iced my shins with a cryo-cup.

Tibial stress syndrome is the clinical name for shin splints. It’s usually caused by an inflammation of the long toe or ankle flexors at or near their insertion to the posteromedial tibial border.
Predisposing factors include pronation, inflexible calf/Achilles/long toe flexors, tibialis ant weakness, and foot conditions (flat or high arch) that alter the shock absorbtion.
Examine your footwear, ensure you have adequate arch support.

Until you find and correct the problem which is manifesting itself as shin splints, there is a very simple tape job that will usually allow people to compete/train. Its called a Candystripe, or simply Shin Splint Tape job. Look it up. If you’re unsure, I’ll provide a description.

As was previously mentioned, our bodies operate on the SAID principle : Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demand. If you want to be a better runner, run. If you want to be a better wing, continue to practice with your team but concentrate on your personal intensity in the 2nd half of practice. I think its natural to lose some speed in the 2nd half, especially in a game where your body is in constant motion and contact.

If your team practices anything like the level of similar rugby teams I’ve been involved with, your practices are probably sufficient to stimulate your body. Extra work may be too much in season.

Adonail,
As you mentioned that swimming is an anaerobic activity, a big DUH! hit me.

Thanks!