Conditioning with Adrenal Fatigue

Here is a recent article pertaining to ‘adrenal fatigue’ written by Dr. Steven Novella, clinical neurologist at Yale.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Here is a recent article pertaining to ‘adrenal fatigue’ written by Dr. Steven Novella, clinical neurologist at Yale.

Awesome.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]JFG12 wrote:

LOL! What a lot of BS. Written by a neurologist of all people. Not even an endocrinologist.

“The medical community does not recognise this condition, ergo it does not exist”.

Ignore the fact that the medical community is largely beghind the times when it comes to functional medicine.

This is the same community that has no formal training on nutrition - the very CORNERSTONE of health and wellbeing.

Find a cutting edge functional medicine expert and lets hear his opinion.

That is my take.

BBB[/quote]

What the fuck is functional medicine? I would argue that allopathic/osteopathic medicine is the only “functional” medicine in practice. If there is a flaw in our training, it is the lack of education on nutrition, but rest assured there is some education on the topic. You will understand if I take offense at the notion that the medical community is not the body of authority on all things medicine.

Well, I will start by saying that I am an allopathic (MD) student.

I do realize how blatantly ignorant commenting without knowledge sounds, however I was hoping to communicate the fact that it sounds a little arrogant to label a field as, “functional,” thereby inferring that the remainder of the fields of medicine are nonfunctional. Apparently I failed to communicate that with the previous post, but I hope you now see what I mean. I struggle to think of a field more “functional” than orthopedics; patients unable to walk without pain prior to a surgery are given a new knee, and regain their mobility and independence. Sounds functional to me.

I looked up functional medicine before the prior posting, and read exactly what you posted. I have to say that I really admire this philosophy. It is more in tune with my personal opinion on the functioning of the human body. And traditional medical education is changing, slowly, in that we are being taught to pay more attention to the unit of the body, not merely addressing the symptoms of individual systems. I think I just struggle with the nomenclature. If it called itself “chronic disease management” or something similar, I don’t think I would have been so taken aback.

As to believing only what we as scientists can see, I am going to say that I ascribe to this line of thinking. It got us out of the dark ages of medicine where we bled and purged patients of their humoral imbalances. Science may believe in unseen miracles, but not unmeasured ones. As a creature married to logic and reason, I have to admit that I am unlikely to believe in such things either. I refuse to make life and death decisions based on rumor and heresay. That is not to say I dismiss functional medicine; quite the contrary. I am just going to have to read more about it, and as a corollary, validate its legitimacy. And I don’t want to undermine the fact that we are forever limited by our instrumentation. As it advances, so does our knowledge.

"Just because something cannot be seen, measured or proven - from a scientific perspective, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. "

Exactly. For instance, Elvis visited me in a dream last night. He told me adrenal fatigure doesn’t exist.