T Nation

Conditioning w/ Knee Pain

So the back ground to this is I’m pretty sure I got patellar tendonitis back towards the end of November doing a back squat/front squat/box jump complex(when I would get fatigued Id crash forward and favor my right knee during front squats.)

I honestly don’t think I ever rested it enough and when it did start feeling better I just went back to training as usual(I’m 24 and I guess its just me thinking I’m beyond injury, dumb mistake) But I’ve been trying to find some kind of conditioning I can do while I rest it.

I was doing rows and jump rope, but that’s starting to bother my knee too, I tried hang cleans but it has the same effect. My last resort is sledge hammers on the tractor tire…all these are done tabata style. My only other thoughts are push up/pull up complexes.

Should I just give up on conditioning all together right now and work on resting my knee completely or does anybody have any other ideas?

[quote]wmob wrote:
So the back ground to this is I’m pretty sure I got patellar tendonitis back towards the end of November doing a back squat/front squat/box jump complex(when I would get fatigued Id crash forward and favor my right knee during front squats.)

I honestly don’t think I ever rested it enough and when it did start feeling better I just went back to training as usual(I’m 24 and I guess its just me thinking I’m beyond injury, dumb mistake) But I’ve been trying to find some kind of conditioning I can do while I rest it.

I was doing rows and jump rope, but that’s starting to bother my knee too, I tried hang cleans but it has the same effect. My last resort is sledge hammers on the tractor tire…all these are done tabata style. My only other thoughts are push up/pull up complexes.

Should I just give up on conditioning all together right now and work on resting my knee completely or does anybody have any other ideas?[/quote]
Hi Wmob, join the club, you’ll be glad to know it’s not an exclusive one! Some of the things that I have found have helped my knees tremendously are:

1. Bulgarian Squats, very good!
  2. Rehband knee sleeves…your knees wil thank you.
  3. Jumping. Check out the latest stuff written by CT. Seriously it works. Just do it.

Hope that helps.

Hey MartyMonster, thanks! A couple of questions for ya:
When you say helped your knees do you mean your knee pain has disappeared or subsided to the point of being bearable? Also, I was doing broad jumps with deads and box jumps with squats…but have since stopped due to the knee pain…did starting theses help your knees? Also where is the location of your knee pain?

Thanks again!