T Nation

Conditioning Routine Advice

Hi all, I'm looking to work on my conditioning and lower my body fat percentage. I'm not able to workout on the weekends so that leaves just the week, I was thinking of something like this:

Monday: Conditioning (deck of cards training using double unders, burpees, db swings, etc.)

Tuesday: Weights
Front Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
T-Bar Row 5x5

Wednesday: Conditioning (same as Monday)

Thursday: Weights
Sumo Deadlift 5x5
Push Press 5x5
Weighted Pull-Ups 5x5

Friday: Conditioning (same as Monday and Wednesday)

Would this help me reach my goals? Will all the conditioning work conflict with the weight training? Any insight would help a lot.

what is this “deck of cards” I have never heard of this.

the program I use is stronglifts 5x5 its very simple,its a 3 day a week program leaving 2 days for cardio and any other conditioning and then weekends off.

but still please explain this deck of cards thing im interested.

Basically you assign a conditioning exercise to a suit or color. You then shuffle the deck and the number on the card is the number of reps you do. If you pull a jack, queen, or king then you do 10 reps and I think ace’s are 11. It’s explained here in more detail:

I had thought about do the stronglifts 5x5 but I wanted to focus more conditioning so I opted against it.

I would take another look at the 5x5 if your interested.
its a great base strength program.
its very easy and its good for everything general conditioning included.

its focus is for overall strength to build a solid base on.
they are nothing more than basic compound movments.

really take a look into it I promise you wont be sorry.
if you want a 5 day a week program then try this.
day 1-3 do your 5x5 work out warm up and cool down with jogging or biking.

day 4-5 do conditioning type stuff like cardio,bag work,swiming flexablity work,kettelbell work ect but no heavy lifting these days.

Ill look into this training thing I have been getting a little bored I need something to break it up a bit on my off days.thanks

I dont see my post to edit it sorry, but this is basicly what your doing anyways.

you have your pushing pulling deadlifts and squats and pull ups. looks like your doing that 2 days a week with the other thing 3 days a week

I think switch it up around to your liking and youll be alright
are you seeing any results from this or have you just started?

I couldn’t tell you my progress on the routine as I’ve just started it. I wanted to ask first before too long as to avoid spinning my wheels on a potentially poorly designed program.

I’ll give stronglifts another look though. I appreciate the advice.

[quote]jrumpf wrote:
I couldn’t tell you my progress on the routine as I’ve just started it. I wanted to ask first before too long as to avoid spinning my wheels on a potentially poorly designed program.

I’ll give stronglifts another look though. I appreciate the advice.[/quote]

im sure youll get more advise soon its kind of late here.

but I personally dont think youll regret using that program.

I’m just getting off something like this:

Monday: TBT Heavy Lift
Tuesday: Conditioning
Wed: Rest/Light Recovery Workout or Slow Cardio
Thursday: TBT Heavy Lift
Friday: Conditioning
Sat: Squat Cleans, Deadlift, Conditioning Finisher
Sun: Total Rest/Shop/Cook/Clean

…It wasn’t a whole lot of fun, especially when I dropped my calories pretty low. I still put on some muscle and dropped some fat, but strength gains were slow. Fridays were the workouts that I dropped the most when I didn’t feel recovered as I had Saturday to get some quality work in. I added some slow cardio after my lifting too as I progressed.

My conditioning workouts were gymjones/crossfit circuit type metcons, jump rope timed rounds, or kb intervals.

I am not sure the rest of your circumstances, but taking wednesdays off to recover was nice, but I also used it to get shit done like cook and throw a load of laundry in.

In short, it sounds like a lot of work, without a whole lot of recovery. If you do it, I wouldn’t make too drastic a calorie cut and make sure to get good sleep.

Personally, I would just add a rest day on Wednesday and do some jump rope and burpees on Saturday and swap Monday and Tuesday.

Your diet is also going to the driving factor of the majority of your fat loss, so there is no use in beating yourself up if that base hasn’t been covered.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I’ll try taking Wednesday off and throwing in a workout on either Saturday or Sunday. There is a track fairly close to where I live so I can always just do sprints then.