T Nation

Conditioning On The Elliptical - and I Sweat

Hey.

This isn't really a conditioning question, it's more a gym question. And this is from someone who works at a gym.

I do most of my workouts at my old college gym, because it's free, and I'd rather workout, where I don't "work-work".

But I'm on the verge of getting kicked out because of my "intensity" and the amount of sweat I produce (I wipe it up, bring an extra towel, wipe the machine, the floor around it, although you can still tell the floor is damp).

Got a pretty "strong" email today about it.

Anyone have any tricks, thoughts, ect about "sweating too much" at gyms for non-gym people where that's an issue? Something better than a full sized cotton towel to wipe up with?

This really seems ridiculous to me. As someone who works in a gym, part of my job is to maintain and clean equipment: I don't expect people to do more than give the stuff a nice wipe-down when finished.

I've been using this particular facility for over 8 years, the only thing that I can tell that's changed are the workers are now students working their because it's a student job, not because they want to work in a gym. I really have a hard time taking this seriously, but they are going to ask me to stop using the facility if there's another complaint...

Any thoughts? I'll state the obvious: this isn't ideal gym for me anymore. Yeah. And I'll probably start using it less, but I'd like to continue to have access.

So any thoughts or strategies from heavy sweaters on making it look like you were never there?

Thanks

Are you kidding? Sweating too much? Seriously?

What’s next?

A gym that has free pizza night and Tootsie Rolls? Oh… wait.

Anyway, what do they expect?

It’s different if you’re training and leaving puddles of sweat behind for others to clean but if you’re cleaning up after yourself, what’s the harm??

mf

Just to be sure…you’re not wiping your sweat off quickly with your hand or anything are you? Because if you did that and some of your sweat flew onto somebody else that would be cause for complaint.

I only mention this because I was next to a guy on a stationary bike and he did this obliviously and I nearly killed him.

I don’t get this. What did the email say exactly? Sweat less or you’re out?

Unless you’re sweating on people or leaving a mess, I’d have a talk to the manager. Alternatives are sweat bands plus clothing which covers most of you up. That should catch most of it.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
Hey.

This isn’t really a conditioning question, it’s more a gym question. And this is from someone who works at a gym.

I do most of my workouts at my old college gym, because it’s free, and I’d rather workout, where I don’t “work-work”.

But I’m on the verge of getting kicked out because of my “intensity” and the amount of sweat I produce (I wipe it up, bring an extra towel, wipe the machine, the floor around it, although you can still tell the floor is damp).

Got a pretty “strong” email today about it.

Anyone have any tricks, thoughts, ect about “sweating too much” at gyms for non-gym people where that’s an issue? Something better than a full sized cotton towel to wipe up with?

This really seems ridiculous to me. As someone who works in a gym, part of my job is to maintain and clean equipment: I don’t expect people to do more than give the stuff a nice wipe-down when finished.

I’ve been using this particular facility for over 8 years, the only thing that I can tell that’s changed are the workers are now students working their because it’s a student job, not because they want to work in a gym. I really have a hard time taking this seriously, but they are going to ask me to stop using the facility if there’s another complaint…

Any thoughts? I’ll state the obvious: this isn’t ideal gym for me anymore. Yeah. And I’ll probably start using it less, but I’d like to continue to have access.

So any thoughts or strategies from heavy sweaters on making it look like you were never there?

Thanks[/quote]

Besides the “what lol?” response to the people who sent you that email, as someone who has always sweated a lot I HEAVILY recommend something for your head. Besides hopefully making the sweat nazi’s happy, you get the added benefit of not having to wipe your face so much and it getting in your eyes. any type of sweat band that you like will work.

Personally, I take old, thick t shirts, cut off the arms, and wear those. They work PERFECTLY and don’t feel uncomfortable.

This is a little hipster explanation, but you get the idea: http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/step-by-step-instructions-diy-t-shirt-sleeve-headband-craft#slide=19

What I do is make sure the bottom starts just slightly above my eyebrows and the top goes just a smidge past my hairline. That way it covers my entire forehead and no “flap” at the top. The back I twist and push it down toward my neck (tightens the hold and keeps the entire thing in place better).

I fling sweat all over the place when I run on the treadmill or the arc trainer so I wear a long sleeve under armour type shirts. when I change machines I sometimes have to run into the locker room and change shirts.

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
I fling sweat all over the place when I run on the treadmill or the arc trainer so I wear a long sleeve under armour type shirts. when I change machines I sometimes have to run into the locker room and change shirts.[/quote]

I just wanted to post and say that I loved the arc trainer so much. My gym had them but got rid of them for some reason.
They were to ellipticals what Krispy Kreme is to other donuts.