T Nation

Conditioning for Rugby

I’m working on my endurance for rugby, especially since I have a 10’s tournament coming up. Where there will be a lot of space.

I have the speed to exploit this space, but without the conditioning I won’t be able to keep it up in the later stages of the competition.

Instead of doing long boring jogs, I’m think about doing sprint intervals.

Anyone got any ideas what to do, 50mx10 with 45secs rest etc, give me your ideas.

Thanks

Watch your recovery capacity. You’re currently in-season so I would imagine just playing and training would just about use it up if you’re doing any sort of weight training at the moment.

Towards the end of off-season is the time to push the envelope in training and conditioning.

You could experiment with supplements. I’m no expert but I believe Glutamine might be useful.

I’m in-season, but this is at college level, not club level.

So every Wednesday we either have training or a game.

Maybe we’ll have extra sessions after christmas and I might join a club team after christmas as well I just don’t want to go from not playing for a while to playing all the time.

Once you re in season, dont do anything too hard if you are playing at a reasonable level. I play RL at uni level and we do team conditioning twice a week once games have started.

Personally, I think the best way to improve conditioning is to play. Nothing beats match fitness.

10’s isnt too demanding, there isnt that much space if you are organized well.

What do yous do for conditioning?

Ye there’s not loads of space in 10’s like there is in 7’s, but there is enough. Run through a couple of men and that’s you gone.

Where do you play league.
I used to travel to York to play.

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:

Ye there’s not loads of space in 10’s like there is in 7’s, but there is enough. Run through a couple of men and that’s you gone.

I used to travel to York to play.[/quote]

Have you ever tried dragging a sled? (you know from Westside Barbell?) it is very good for GPP and conditioning, in my limited experience playing rugby at university i did sled dragging and it built up my endurance a lot.

Hope this helps matey.

btw your not a Man U fan are you? argh! (Liverpool is my team :slight_smile:

A lot of people rave about sleds and prowler, but I don’t have access to them.

United till I die.

Well its quite easy to make your own(that’s what me and my mates did-our university is shite for equipment). Get a strong bag(construction type) and fill it with sand(you can use multiple bags or a bigger bag-which ever you have available). Tie a rope firmly around the bag and knot the other end so you can pull it(hands behind your back).

There you have a makeshift sled. I suggest you only drag it on grass though otherwise it will rip on tarmac or concrete.

Also from what i read on WestsideBB your sposed to keep the body upright. Its really worth doing.

Liverpool is all heart, whilst Man U is a faceless corporate entity :wink:

Liverpool all heart?
Anfield’s a disgrace full of out-of-towners who are wearing the full replica kit and holding the club shop bags. Just like most of Old Trafford.

Which is why I only go away games watching United, home games aren’t what they used to be.

I suppose you’ve never even been a liverpool game and no nothing about any of this.

Liverpool all heart?
Anfield’s a disgrace full of out-of-towners who are wearing the full replica kit and holding the club shop bags. Just like most of Old Trafford.

Which is why I only go away games watching United, home games aren’t what they used to be.

I suppose you’ve never even been a liverpool game and no nothing about any of this.[/quote]

Well i lived in Liverpool in my early years(actually born there), then i moved to Stoke On Trent which is 40 mins away on the train. I used to go to home matches now and then, i’ve been in the VIP box only once though. I really used to like the team more pre 2001.

Most of the teams these days are foreign players and what not-who cares its inevitable. I would accuse Man U of having more out of towners for fans and players than any other team in the premierleague :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway this doesn’t matter neither of us play for Man U or Liverpool. Chill.

Give the sled a try. I was just trying to be helpful.

I used to travel to York to play.[/quote]

sprints, sprints and more sprints.

easiest drill- stand on the halfway line, sprint to 10 m line and either hit a pad or do 2 press ups, back repeat 10 times. Thats 1 set. We normally do 5.

We also do quite a lot of wrestling stuff, but thats more RL specific.

I play at uni in exeter, southern most outpost!

And what would you say the hardest drill you do is?

Let me know more if you don’t mind.

What position are you?

Exeter ay, never had that down as a place where league was played.

This season ive been playing standoff or dummy half.

The hardest stuff we do are the sprint sets. Seriously, do one, they re fucking savage-even worse if you have someone to hold a pad.

Another drill we go is to set up a circle of cones in a circle, stand in the middle, number the cones like a clock face and then have someone call out cones to sprint to in combination. Mimics game situations more than just shuttle runs.