Conditioning for Military

going into the military in the fall, i want to be very conditioned for bootcamp. should i continue lifting then run a few miles after and/or push and pull a sled or should i condition with weights. help is appreciated!

bmac,
You really don’t need to prepare for bootcamp other than running a few hill sprints after training, doing a few push-ups and sit-ups. Bootcamp is easy. If you want a free e-book I wrote on Maxing the Army Physical Fitness Test I’ll tell you how to get it free.

Be able to run 3 miles in 25 minutes, do 60 pushups, 15 pullups, 60 situps, and make sure you’re strong in deadlift/squat/bench/front squat also. That will give you a leg up on a lot of people in most basic training. Obviously, it would be better to get a perfect score on the final physical test that you take in bootcamp before you even go, but if you don’t have time for that, the above stuff should be a good start.

Personally, I’m planning on getting as close as I can to a perfect score on the PFT/CFT before I go to bootcamp, and ignoring serious weight training for awhile. I have several friends who say that their conditioning before bootcamp made Hell a LOT less terrible. The guys who came in who could only run the minimums and didn’t get good scores on their IST and really weren’t in that great of shape got worked much harder, just because the needs of the platoon outweigh the needs of a recruit. Thought recently I think they work recruits in groups of their own IST scores. But it’s still better off to just be in great shape before you go.

My training will be the “military athlete” website up until I leave for boot. That is, if my RSS doesn’t make me go to work out in the DEP and beat the shit out of me twice a week, which may happen.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/alphas_work_ii?id=3712734&pageNo=0

thx everyone…STANDTALL how would i get access to that ebook?

my buddy