T Nation

Conditioning For Basketball?

What would be the best type of conditioning to get into basketball shape within 2-3 weeks? I dont mean NBA ready, just in a good enough condition to play some adult league.

I was thinking some type of intervals, maybe with weights, not sure yet. What do you guys do/reccommend?

Play ball. Lift to get stronger and/or bigger.Play to get better. I don’t care how sound your program is, if you want to get in game shape then play games.

You could jump rope as a warm up to your weightlifting workouts. I really like this program: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459616

Good luck
Will42

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t care how sound your program is, if you want to get in game shape then play games.[/quote]

It cant be that simple, can it? I dont know why people over complicate things. You want to get into playing shape then…PLAY!

If you don’t have access to an indoor court, go to a park. Shoot around, simulate a game if nobody is there.

What everyone else said - play basketball.

If you can’t get anyone to play, do full court fast breaks all by yourself. Do the thing that kids make famous - get out and play by yourself in a fictional game. You do this at high speed you will not only get your conditioning up, but you will get game specific conditioning of changing direction, elevating for jumpshots and rebounds, and running the break with the ball in hand.

When I had to switch from football to basketball, I would go to a church gym or somesuch late at night and just play hard all by myself - pullup jumpers, posting up, fast breaks, the whole thing - all at competitive speed. It may look odd to an observer, but it was great to get in sport-specific shape quick.

Just play. Nothing will get you into basketball shape like playing basketball. The first day back is always a bitch…your lungs will burn and your legs will hurt. Then keep going and soon you can play for hours and be fine.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
Just play. Nothing will get you into basketball shape like playing basketball. The first day back is always a bitch…your lungs will burn and your legs will hurt. Then keep going and soon you can play for hours and be fine. [/quote]

The fist day is the absolute worst, lung capacity wise. You want to pass out and throw up if you play for more than 30 minutes. But nothing gets your basketball wind back as fast as…BASKETBALL!

To echo what everybody else said, just play fullcourt games with no stopping and get every to just push the ball up the court and fastbreak constantly. For conditioning, nothing beats playing your game at a faster pace then practice. It will also force you to focus on your skills when tired, which is definitly an important factor.

If you can’t find anybody to play a game with, just find an empty court and do a ton of basketball-related movement on it. Shuffle across the baseline, sprint the length of the court and do 10 rim jumps. Stuff like that.

just play ball like everybody is saying…I just started my season since I wasn’t allowed to play or practice with the team first semester…I ran 3 days a week on my own, stuff like ladders, 17’s, suicides all timed…I got in my first game and was winded after about 45 seconds…nothing is as effective as playing

Just play ball like everyone was saying. Unless. You have a good amount of experience lifting. If this is the case I would mix in at least 1 workout a week of complexes such as deadlift sprints. Here is how you do them.

I wouldnt just jump into these I would seperate them at first. The first week do a workout that includes 5 sets of 5 deadlifting. After this is done go to a nearby area you have measured off as 50 feet. Run back and forth the 50 feet you have measured off until you get to a total of 16. Each time your foot touches one of the lines you drew that counts as one. Ideally you should be able to get your time down to :60. These are called 16 in :60’s. The second week take 70% of your deadlift and do a set of 6 deads then immediately run the 16 in :60, hopefully you will have at least 3 weeks to build up to this. I would do only 2-3 sets max of this. And only once a week for three weeks. This simulates explosive hip extension followed by sprinting which is found in basketball. I did a workout similar to this to prepare myself for a second semester of juco basketball. Afterward my hamstrings and glutes were like steel springs.

But also play at least twice a week during this time.