T Nation

Concerned About Aggression

I've read the New User Sticky, the Thyroid Sticky, and the TRT Injection Sticky.

I don't have a lot of labs to post. I am meeting with my doctor this week after getting these labs back 2 weeks ago. I've found a lot of great information on this site. Special thanks to KSMan.

Quick and dirty labs that I have:

TSH: 1.2 uIU/ml Range: 0.45 - 4.5
Hematocrit: 47.9% Range: 37.5 - 51.0
Cholesterol, Total: 240 mg/dL Range: 100-199
Triglycerides: 436 mg/dL Range: 0 -149
HDL Cholesterol: 29 mg/dL Range: >39

Testosterone, Serum: 198 ng/dL Range: 348-1197

Height: 74" Weight: 299 lbs Waist: 44" Chest: 52'

Current Meds:
Wellbutrin for anxiety / depression
Sertraline for anxiety / depression
Metoprolol for high blood pressure
Lansoprazole for acid reflux
Xanax as needed for anxiety / hot flash anger attacks

I've struggled with depression all my life, since junior high school. I wonder if this could have been due to a T imbalance as far as back then. Depression / anxiety meds cause weight gain, which led to Obstructive Sleep Apnea (treated with CPAP), and the weight gain also led to high blood pressure and acid reflux. I often wonder if the root cause could be found, I could feel great, lose weight, and eliminate all these health problems & meds.

I also take a multivitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Krill oil, and Osteo-BiFlex.

I used to bodybuild in college. Then I got into MMA. Now I'm in my 40's and have really let myself slip in the past 5 years due to a ridiculous work schedule and occupation and basically lying to myself that what I was eating was healthy (McDonald's chicken selects & KFC - it's chicken, right? :frowning: )

Been feeling like shit. Tired all the time, unmotivated to go out socially. Married but all we do is stay home. ED is not an issue. I can perform when I need to (which blows me away if I have a T level of 198 Ng/dL). Have had aching testicles - got an ultrasound last winter and all they said was there was some fluid - a hydrocele. Treated with an antibiotic and Ibuprofen. Muscularly feel weak. Have done some exercise and don't gain any strength or size, but sore as hell. Joints hurt - feet & ankles, knees sometimes, low back, upper back, neck, & an elbow. Don't have a lot of facial hair. Can't grow a good beard, let alone a good goatee. Was a late-bloomer in puberty - didn't change until late in year 16 - all the other kids (guys) had already changed. Went to Dr. because wife urged me to because of dizziness and vertigo (room spin when lay down in bed). Wife says I'm an irritable, "moody bitch". Basically have lost interest in life. Would seriously consider suicide if it wasn't for my belief in God, Heaven, & Hell.

I have a little hope knowing that my T came back so low. I asked my Dr. about it 6 - 9 months ago but it was dismissed because the test was "quite expensive" and "almost always comes back normal."

Before I get more labs and can post more info here, my biggest concern is:

Will TRT give me a short fuse? I am already irritable but not violent. I lose my patience with wife and kids very easily, though, & sometimes raise my voice. I do not want to become violent. Am I more likely to feel better all-around or is there an undiscussed side effect involving anger, short fuse / violence on TRT?

I searched a lot of threads but really didn't see anything about this with TRT. Seen more so with synthetic testosterone / steroids.

I'm not sure if there's something else going on in which my cholesterol is not being converted to T and other hormones. A pregnenolone level would be helpful. E2 would be helpful. If adrenals --> thyroid --> T. Maybe there is something wrong back at the adrenals or thyroid. I don't want to supplement T if that really doesn't address the root problem. I wonder if I should have the pituitary MRI. I'm not sure if 42 is considered young or old. It's middle-age, I guess. I have been taking my body temp in the AM for the past week and it's always 96.3 to 97.3. By afternoon, my temp is 98.1. However, I always feel hot, sweaty, and clammy. My T-shirts are F'd by 2 hours after I've showered.

'Nuff babbling. Partly venting to a crowd that seems helpful and willing to listen. Thanks.

A few comments would be appreciated. I will update with more after meeting with my doctor this week (he is a GP).

You have a bunch of issues that would be better answered by KSman.

Just wanted to give you my .02 on TRT and anger.

It's not the additional Test that makes you angry. Its the conversion of TEST to Estradiol
and the ratio of the two (with estrogen being dominant over testosterone) that generally causes anger.
But, the conversion can be managed with an aromatase inhibitor (AI).

It's possible that your issues can be sorted out and you won't need TRT, but if you do, don't
worry about anger issues. TRT when managed properly is a calming experience for most,
and really adds to your quality of life as far as mood, outlook on life, patients and libido.

Good Luck.

Thank you for that response.

I'm 51, and new to TRT myself. I'm no expert by any means, and my situation is quite a bit different from yours, but it sounds to me like you might benefit tremendously from TRT.

I too was a little concerned about increased aggression/anger. I started my TRT just a few days ago, and will be chronicling my experience in detail here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_trt/51_about_to_start_trt

BTW, that doctor who didn't want to do the test because "it almost always comes back normal" is a complete ass. That's like saying "I know you have the symptoms of cancer, but most people don't have it, so lets not bother testing for it". I would look for a new doctor QUICK.

I don't feel my doctor is an ass and I'm not upset with him. As you can see, I have a few medical issues going on. Sometimes it's hard to pick out one target to drill when you are the one in charge of the trigger. I just feel vindicated and glad I brought it up. Maybe he needed some time to think about it. Next time I saw him, he tested for it. He is genuinely concerned and I consider him a friend. He is very open to ideas and working together.

I am no expert on the subject matter but I experienced anxiety, lethargy, lack of patience ect. all due to an imbalance in my Test and E2. The most troubling to me was that I felt I was not being a good father to my children. I basically had zero patience with them and found myself yelling and acting in a way that was very unlike my "old self". After dialing in my TRT almost all of the issues I was dealing with have been resolved, including the quick temper. Good luck with any future treatment. I has changed my life.

Guys get irritable and short tempered with:
- low T levels
- high T levels plus elevated E2 levels

T does not cause aggression. That is a myth. Yes there are some ass holes who take take T.

TRT with proper E2 control typically makes one calm and tolerant.

You need this:
- EFA's, fish oil, nuts, flax seed meal or oil
- 5000iu vit-D3, look for tiny oil caps
- DHEA if DHEA-S is low, probably need 25 mg, you can do that then test
- high potency B-complex multi-vits with iodine listed and other trace elements, might be a multi cap delivery
- natural source vit-E, vit-C and other antioxidants
- 50mg ubiquinol form of CoQ10

What are your body temperatures and what is your history of use of iodized salt or vits that list iodine?

Labs needed before you start TRT:
- TT
- FT
- E2
- LH/FSH
- PSA
- fasting cholesterol
- fasting glucose
- Glycated hemoglobin (A1C)
- TSH, fT3, fT4 if body temps are low

Take action. You are at risk of vascular disease and diabetes.

TRT will make you feel better, but you need to address any thyroid/temperature/iodine issues.

TRT will make you a more pleasant person.

Life style changes will be needed.

I have been checking my temperature upon waking for the past week and a half. I am consistently 96.3 in axillary and 97.3 orally. In the afternoon, my temp gets up to 98.1 (orally).

My wife read some book a couple years ago and rid our house of all iodized salk and replaced it with rock sea salt. I put iodized salt on the grocery list last weekend and have started using it. Considering an iodine supplement to boot and I'll see what happens.

Lifestyle change: Already joined a gym two weeks ago. Already have lost over 5 lbs. Feeling great. Goal is to get down to around to 195 - 205 and be lean and muscular - more fitness model physique than a pro bodybuilder.

Diabetes runs in the family and I'm totally aware of it. I needed a kick in the ass to get going. My cholesterol, triglycerides and weight were that kick in the ass. My low T is more of a light at the end of the tunnel kind of thing. Gives some explanation to why I've felt so down and out for so long.

Thanks for your responses.