T Nation

Concentration Problems

Hello everyone I lift full body type training 3 days a week utlizing mainly compound movements ie deads, squats, dips, overhead presses, pull ups, presses the whole compound movement gammut.

But some days just like today i just dont have any concentration whatsoever, constantly switching songs on mp3 player lookin for something to strike me to get in the zone.

Any ideas on how to improve concentration? Im also lookin into supplemnts as well what ive been using is animal pump and a cup of coffee pre workout for a while now.

Stats 5’11 185lbs up from 165 back in janurary squats and bench still laggin like hell though :frowning: Trying to reach the magic 200 mark with no regard to any possible fat gain due to eating poorly on occasion tryin to get them calories in.

Spike, I like the caffeinated version.

[quote]PhoenixRizing wrote:

Any ideas on how to improve concentration? .[/quote]

We could send you to concentration camp…

hehe.

–JB

btw, for anybody with a sense of humor, that was a south park reference.

get in the mind set pre gym go do it dont let things knock that focus the #1 thing at hand make it habit Go TRAIN there will be outside stimulus learn to ignore them

Phill

Write down your goal(s) for your workout, and see if you can match them or beat them. Like Phill said, focus your mindset BEFORE you hit the gym. If you go to the gym with no real plan, then you’re wasting your time.

In essence, it’s MAXIMUM 2 hours out of your day. That means you have 22 hours a day to do whatever else the heck you want. Focus. Hit it hard. Head home. Done deal.

Don’t wai for a song or something external get you into state. Go into the gym and hit the weights right away and don’t stop until you get into the zone or have fnished your program.

Before I do a set I usually put on a serious face and look at myself in the mirror and try and get angry. It helps me to get focused.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Write down your goal(s) for your workout, and see if you can match them or beat them. Like Phill said, focus your mindset BEFORE you hit the gym. If you go to the gym with no real plan, then you’re wasting your time.

In essence, it’s MAXIMUM 2 hours out of your day. That means you have 22 hours a day to do whatever else the heck you want. Focus. Hit it hard. Head home. Done deal.[/quote]

Thats a really going point everyone seems to be making. When i go Im never amped to go. I just go because i know i have to in order to reach my goals, but with a mindset before i even set foot into the gym that could very well make a huge difference.

Also might give Spike a try when i order some more Flameout and Muscle Revolution in a couple of weeks. :slight_smile:

Im not sure how much of it is placebo effect but I’ve been taking creatine for a couple of months now and I find that it gives me very good focus in the gym.

I used to take my ipod with me to the gym before I used creatine to keep me motivated and ‘in the zone’ but now that I started taking creatine I have no need for my ipod. I can now mentally block out everything and just concentrate on lifting heavy shit.

One of the things that has worked for me is thinking about hitting the bench mark I’ve set, days in before I go to the gym. Thinking about the movement, how the plates will look on the bar, etc.

Also, watching Powerlifting and Olympic lifting on YouTube helps too. Hell, those vids got me into Slayer and Motorhead.