Concensus on R-ALA Supplementation

I figured I could get a thread going about each of ours experiences/opinions on supplementing R-ALA with our high carb meals…Would love to hear what you think

I don’t think you’re going to see much if any changes visually. But for health, it’s one of my favorite supplements.

blood sugar control/insulin sensitivity and a strong anti-oxidant

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I don’t think you’re going to see much if any changes visually. But for health, it’s one of my favorite supplements.

blood sugar control/insulin sensitivity and a strong anti-oxidant [/quote]

Well wouldn’t the insulin sensitivity benefit allow us to eat some more carbs at a different other than post workout, or when we first wake up (the times we’re usually most insulin sensitive), thus potentially creating some visual differences? More muscle tissue?

in theory yes, and it probably does, but how much? I’d bet very little in the grand scheme of things. On the impact scale of what provide results as far as muscle:fat gains I’d say many other things would be more important.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
in theory yes, and it probably does, but how much? I’d bet very little in the grand scheme of things. On the impact scale of what provide results as far as muscle:fat gains I’d say many other things would be more important.[/quote]

Nutrient timing/overall diet

Does increasing insulin sensitivity also increase insulin sensitivity in fat cells aswell?

[quote]Musclemorse wrote:
Does increasing insulin sensitivity also increase insulin sensitivity in fat cells aswell?

[/quote]

Not if the insulin sensitivity was created via muscle contractions. In that case, it’s just in skeletal muscle tissue that was depleted of ts glycogen… There’s some that say supplementing R-ALA can increase insulin sensitivity in both skeletal muscle, and adipocytes…I actually had a pubmed stufy up earlier but I cant find it atm, that validates that point… If thats the case, than I’d just rather get the increase in skeletal muscle-only sensitivity via exercise… I have a bottle of R-ALA right now and would LIKE to use it with my carb meals (which either way are mainly pre/post workout anyways so the boost in insulin sensitivity wouldn’t really be necessary but nonetheless). But I see it coming into play on my off days where I don’t get the exercise induced Insulin sens.

Anyone else have anything to add? I was hopin this thread would get some more views and activity… We’ll see