T Nation

Concealed Weapons License

How the fuck do you get one, especially in Los Angeles…hardest thing in the world. I might just move to Texas or Arizona…

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
How the fuck do you get one, especially in Los Angeles…hardest thing in the world. I might just move to Texas or Arizona…[/quote]

Xen

I can only speak for Michiagn, but you need to check into the requirements for your state. I’d start with NRA.Com and search their site.

In Michigan you first need to complete a course which takes 2 days and covers legal issues as well as has you spend 3 hours on the range.

Once you have your course, you go to the local sherrif’s dept or city police and you fill out the forms and get yoru finger prints done for a FBI background check.

If you clear the FBI then you have to clear the local gun board which consists of representatives from the following departments, Mich state Police, local/county police/sherrif, and the prosecuters office. You have to sit before this board while they ask you a bunch of questions, and if at anytime you ran afoul of the law, including speeding tickets/noise complaints they will ask you about them. Any game violations will also be questioned.

If you’ve had a game violation in the last 3 years, or a PPO (personal protective order) against you in the last 10years (I believe) you are disqualified. Also any form of felony or violent misdemeanor disqualifies you.

I’d also do a search for “california concealed weapons” and see if there is a state group that has the info you need. We have one in Michigan which is very educational for a michigan resident.

www.packing.org is the best resource I know of.

thanks for the info guys- I’ll keep you posted on how the search goes.

Can I ask why someone would need to carry a concealed gun for?

jaystyles

jaystyles, protection.

[quote]jaystyles wrote:

jaystyles[/quote]

The main reason is protcetion.

The second is, it is my right in this state to choose to do so. So I choose to do so.

I am not a paranoid person that sees the boogie-man around every corner. I am 6’6" 260lbs, not lean by any means but trying to get there, and one on one I’m not worried.

The need for additional protection arises when the number of assailents increase or if I have my wife and or 5 children with me. I also dont work in the best neighborhood. When I was a paramedic all of the shootings I ran took place within 1/2 mile of my worksite.

The old phrase still fits, “It’s better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one”.

Another one is “It’s better to be a warrior tending your garden than a gardener tending to war”.

I would prefer to be prepared for the event if it was to occur.

The responsibility of carrying a firearm is not for everyone and it’s a personal choice. Make yours wisely.

[quote]jaystyles wrote:

jaystyles[/quote]

Having the capability to defend your family and/or self is the most basic of all human rights.

When someone asks a rhetorical question such as yours, they already have their mind made up, so I’m not going to try to change it.

BUT, what pisses me off, is when someone doesn’t see any need for a firearm in their own logic, they want to take away everyone else’s freedom to possess, carry, and shoot firearms!

“Better to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.”

I do have a ‘legitimate reason’…

I have some friends who are bail enforcement agents, and it seems like a fun ‘hobby’. Most of them are actually professional’s and have career’s (carpenter, graphic designer, stock broker, et al) but every few weeks or so their vacation time is spent kicking ass and taking names.

I’m down for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Xen

Besides jay, you’re Canadian. Canadians don’t understand guns like we Americans do.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I live in TX so getting one was not a problem. From what I hear concealed carry permits in parts of CA are hard to come by. LA being one of those parts.

Here is my take on this. For what it is worth. Go ahead and carry. Think about it, when was the last time you were patted down by a cop. If you have a good system, it is the only way they will know, unless you tell them. Get yourself something small say a .45 with a 4" barrel. Then get a good IWB holster, and a good belt. Wear a somewhat loose shirt over it. Unless someone goes rubbing on your waist, they will never know that you are carrying. Remember the world is a cold place, better pack your own heat.

[quote]jaystyles wrote:

jaystyles[/quote]

You’ve never lived in Houston, TX. If you did you would know that a conceal carry could come in handy.

[quote]Bad John wrote:
I live in TX so getting one was not a problem. From what I hear concealed carry permits in parts of CA are hard to come by. LA being one of those parts.

Here is my take on this. For what it is worth. Go ahead and carry. Think about it, when was the last time you were patted down by a cop. If you have a good system, it is the only way they will know, unless you tell them. Get yourself something small say a .45 with a 4" barrel. Then get a good IWB holster, and a good belt. Wear a somewhat loose shirt over it. Unless someone goes rubbing on your waist, they will never know that you are carrying. Remember the world is a cold place, better pack your own heat.[/quote]

Good to hear from a fellow Texan!

Quick story:

My friend has his permit … some guy starts shit with him one night (dumb idea … my friend is big) … fight breaks out … my friend wins … 2 nights later … the loser of the fight and his brother pull up next to my friends car at a gas station … get out … with guns drawn … my friend had one choice … shoot or be shot. He shot one in the head (the brother was killed instantly) and other guy (who had gotten beat up) … his gun jammed and he ran.

My friend is alive today because he DID have that permit and no charges have been filed on him to this day. The guy that got away … not only did he get his brother killed … he is in jail for attempted murder.

GG

Jaystyles

Posting an asinine question like that is just asking to get a figurative beat down.

If you fellas are interested, please read this:

http://www.rkba.org/comment/cowards.html

Its a very thoughtful piece.

As a law enforcement officer, I wholly support the right of decent, law abiding people to protect themselves. Thats because I know better than anyone that the police cant be everywhere to protect you from the wolves. Taking responsibility for your own safety, your family’s safety and the safety of other people is a sacred duty. It is also a very American tradition that is sometimes misunderstood by people who live in countries that force a high degree of reliance on the government for everything, including safety.

With that said, if you choose to carry a weapon, or keep one in your home, you are duty bound to get proper training in its use, practice those skills regularly and conduct yourself with the utmost attention to safety and honor.

If your one of those guys who just wanders around thinking nothing violent could ever happen to you just do the rest of us a favor and bah like a sheep every day when you wake up, because thats what you are.

[quote]Bad John wrote:

Here is my take on this. For what it is worth. Go ahead and carry. Think about it, when was the last time you were patted down by a cop. If you have a good system, it is the only way they will know, unless you tell them. Get yourself something small say a .45 with a 4" barrel. Then get a good IWB holster, and a good belt. Wear a somewhat loose shirt over it. Unless someone goes rubbing on your waist, they will never know that you are carrying. Remember the world is a cold place, better pack your own heat.[/quote]

Actually last time i was in L.A. some cops threw me on their hood and gave me a really hard time for a WWB (walking while black). So I don’t think I’ll be just carrying… I have in the past but thats only cause i knew the situations that I was going into might require such.

I love what you said though… world is cold pack your own heat…im gonna put that on a shirt or something.

-Xen

Oh and my buddies mentioned something about getting licenses in different states first, and having those for a while helps to get a permit in CA. Apparently a gun permit is actually easy but a concealed weapons permit is the hard part So if you guys have any other info. thanks.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Oh and my buddies mentioned something about getting licenses in different states first, and having those for a while helps to get a permit in CA. Apparently a gun permit is actually easy but a concealed weapons permit is the hard part So if you guys have any other info. thanks.[/quote]

CA has no reciprocity agreements with other states. Go here: http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/california

This gives all the info you need to get a CCW in CA. It even has a downloadable form.

Good luck.