Con Artist/Antoine Dodson Look-a-Like

As some know, I work in a small supplement/nutrition store which is located in the business center of the city in an upscale shopping center. However, the mall itself seems to be quite the target for the “less fortunate”. Working my shift tonight, a gentlemen who resembles Antoine Dodson to a tee comes into the store looking to purchase a weight gainer. I’ve seem him before and have always been a tad cautious, not to stereotype, but he looks like someone who would be likely to shoplift.

He gets me to price a few items, until we find one that is below $60 taxes in. Transaction is going smoothly until I’m just about to give him his change and he informs me that he thinks he gave me $80, as he claimed he just came from the ATM and withdrew $100 in twenties, and that I’m trying to short change him. I assure him that’s not the case as I counted the $60 before I put it in the till (I’m horrible with change and the last thing I’d want to do is rip someone off) He argued with me for several minutes over how he feels he’s being ripped off but I assured him that was not the case and if in the odd chance my cash was $20 over for the night, the next time he was in I would happily apologize and reimburse him.

Obviously, this trick has worked for him in the past and he figured he was going to get quite the deal. The whole situation just annoys me to no end and I’ve alerted security with his description and run down of the interaction. My question to you fellow T NATIONers: Assuming my till is correct at the end of the night, do I call him out on it if he ever returns to the store? And for others working in retail, any similar experiences or different con tricks.

/Rant

My boss recently told me not to put the money in the register until you give them their change back. If they ask just show the money you have on the till to prove that you are giving the correct change.

Next time he comes in see if he’d like a VIP card or something like that that your store may offer.

Once you have his address wait until winter and put a 2 liter bottle of water with two small holes in it hung off of a clothes hanger upside down over the gas register outside. Once it freezes over it will cause a sizable explosion.

Or stab his face with a 20 pinned to it.

As expected, my cash at the end of the night was correct. I’m torn due to the fact that he blatantly tried to rip me off, but perhaps he was confused about the amount of money he had or lost the $20 somewhere else. I think in a gesture of good faith I’ll give him a discount or something the next time he’s in, if that ever happens. Either way, not going to lose sleep over it as my boss would have been upset if I had given him 20 bucks back as the customer is hardly ever right at our store.

I like that idea Fuzzy. It would be so much easier if everyone just used their debit/credit card.
Nards, I like where your head is at.

Sucks man. Guys at GNC are always cool with me- they hook me up with fat discounts usually + gold card prices. I’d say next time just have him count it out as he lays it down so there’s not confusion.

this pacific islander dude works at my gnc…i consider him equiviliant to tribal healer…

he tells me about strange herbs that i’ve never heard before lol…

It’s possible he was just mistaken, people screw up all the time.

It’s also possible he’s as shady as he seems, people will lie/cheat/steal anytime they think they can get away with it.

lol @ you guys that shop at GNC

i remember the fist time i bought supplements

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

i remember the fist time i bought supplements[/quote]

Where do you shop boobsmcgee?

For the record, I do not work in nor have I ever step foot in a GNC. Independently owned and operated, and carrier of the occasional Biotest product too.

Common scam. Don’t take it personal, just know he is a scammer.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

OP, the dude probably stopped at the food court beforehand and forgot about the $20 he spent there.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

OP, the dude probably stopped at the food court beforehand and forgot about the $20 he spent there.
[/quote]

It’s cool you guys are giving him the benefit of the doubt…but:

He SPECIFICALLY looked for an item UNDER $60, then claimed he gave the OP $80. It’s too obvious.

Perhaps he was just retarded?

Count it out, then put a customer’s money HORIZONTAL on the black box (makes a ledge) above the cash drawer, then count out change and put their money in the drawer.

Retail 101.

Oh, this was a scam. When your “shoplifter meter” is going off, they’re thieves.

Same with the creepy guy, ladies. He’s got a van with chlorform and zip ties.

People need to trust their instincts and de-learn all the politically correct crap forced into their brains by Hollywood and publik skrols. Creepy people make you nervous because they’re fucking dangerous in some manner.

Fuck I swear I learned more working in my uncle’s furniture store when I was 15 than most people learn in college.

Well, Obviously, we have a con artist in the supplement shop. You know what, you are dumb, you are so dumb! We know what you look like, we’re going to find you and figure out your exact change!

He’s coming in your supp shop,
Snatching some creatinez up
Trying to get swole
Trying to get jacked
So you better
Hide yo cell-tech
Hide yo jacke3d
Hide yo cell-tech
Hide yo jack3d
And hide your kre-alkalyn
Cuz he’s snatching creatinez up here

Duh, he was trying to scam you. Don’t give him a future discount!

Another trick is that they will give you a 20, ask for change, and then keep asking you to change it up - 2 10s, 4 5s, etc. - trying to get you flustered so they can get an extra $20 out of the deal. Had a guy try to do it to me when I was working grocery, around age 15 or so. He was pretty smooth but I realized what he was doing, and he left when I said, “You’re trying to cheat me.”

LOL Byukid

BYU, I’m willing to bet you could be the most famous rapper out of Utah ever if you put your mind to it. Quit school, book learnin’ is wack anyways.

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:
BYU, I’m willing to bet you could be the most famous rapper out of Utah ever if you put your mind to it. Quit school, book learnin’ is wack anyways.[/quote]

A rap I wrote a long time ago (actually it was part of a rap project called “Chicken Digger” but that disappeared). The video for it used to be on youtube- someone made a beat and rapped it

Here I come again
The one note wonder, that rollin thunder
here to mess you up like a gangster

Iâ??m rollin through your town with a decree for all around to get down with the sound and feel the earth from the ground
True gangbanger I be packin, not lackin, soul crackin, earth shakin, heart breakin give and takin till I rest and awaken

Iâ??m here once again you let me out
To murder, death kill plunder and trouce
absolutely nothingâ??s gonna keep me back
and Iâ??m here to be the leader of the pack

Iâ??m rollin through your town with a decree for all around to get down with the sound and feel the earth from the ground
True gangbanger I be packin, not lackin, soul crackin, earth shakin, heart breakin give and takin till I rest and awaken

tearin it up like a caterpilla
cuz i am the greatest thrilla
got more fresh beats than ice, vanilla
mess with me youâ??ll get roughed up
find you in the street with your clothes tore up

Stay put or steer clear of this enigma,
Iâ??ll give ya
Exactly what you wanted in a new kind of way
And when they come together hereâ??s what theyâ??ll say