T Nation

Computer VS Log Book

I got sick of my log book. It has water/postworkout drink spilled on it …blood chalk etc. All my pages are curled and looking beat up.

I want to make sure I keep the data in the book so I looked around for a program. Since I work out at home. I have a computer playing my mp3’s. I figured I would use that.

So I started using Notepad.exe to record my lifts untill I found a program. I never found one that I liked all that much. Most of them were excell spred sheets or something that would not record well over a long period of time. Or I had to pay for it.

I also wanted to see my progress over time in certain lifts. Well I needed something better then notepad. So I made my own from access 2010. It records all my stats. everything I need to track data over time. I also made it multi-user so partners/teams can use it too.

Just wondering if anyone else has made anything similar it would be cool too see.

I will provide screen shots of my cheesey little program. But it works well for me.

Nah, doesn’t have the same “feel” to it. My log book has coffee stains on it. Imagine if I spilled coffee on my laptop…

[quote]B.L.U. Ninja wrote:
Nah, doesn’t have the same “feel” to it. My log book has coffee stains on it. Imagine if I spilled coffee on my laptop…[/quote]

My computer is right beside my rack so it was a small adjustment to get use to it.

I prefer the traditional log book. And the chalk, drink or sweat stains don’t bother me at all. Together with the hundreds of logs inside, it makes it look much more hardcore.

It’s good to fish through that box of mine and pull out some of my tattered notebooks. I’d flick through the pages, nostalgic, and see how awesome or shitty I had been on different training days. What’s even more awesome it’s how my handwriting shifts between reps, especially after a challenging deadlift or bench.

I’m not sure I can feel the same with a computer log. Feels so impersonal to me.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
I prefer the traditional log book. And the chalk, drink or sweat stains don’t bother me at all. Together with the hundreds of logs inside, it makes it look much more hardcore.

It’s good to fish through that box of mine and pull out some of my tattered notebooks. I’d flick through the pages, nostalgic, and see how awesome or shitty I had been on different training days. What’s even more awesome it’s how my handwriting shifts between reps, especially after a challenging deadlift or bench.

I’m not sure I can feel the same with a computer log. Feels so impersonal to me.[/quote]

Yeah I know I was looking in my old log books and seen the messy writing. It does have that feel of looking in the past at another time.

For me the trade off is the reporting on the data. Seeing clear trends in your lifts helps with motivation. Also you can see where things are slacking. Seeing the data in a graph and the numbers in graph form leave no room for bullshit.

Guess being a computer guy I hate loosing data and love seeing a sexy display of where I am going and where I have been. In neat clean interface.

Here’s an excerpt.

Sept 23. 2011

Hill sprints @ G. Ross Park. x 10

Note: Injured quad still hurts.

LOL Love going through the pages.

[quote]dirtman wrote:
Guess being a computer guy I hate loosing data and love seeing a sexy display of where I am going and where I have been. In neat clean interface.
[/quote]

Yeah, that makes sense.

I use my log book to enter my data into my training log here. I like having both, but my log book is minimal just for quick reference and memory, where my training log is a detailed place where I can look back in the future and see exactly what I looked like, did and thought at certain times. Both super valuable to me.

Your access thing looks cool though. Graphs etc. would be easy to make I guess, kinda like the bodyspace feature on a certain website if I remember right.

I wrote an application a few years ago to store my data -> I suppose being a computer programmer has its perks. I’ve got all my data stored in a SQL database & allows me to look back at all my different workouts & even allows me to ‘beat’ my previous bests at different weights.

I even added a little button “Generate workout text” that generates the exact text that I’d need if I was logging my workouts here online. (or another forum)

[quote]Rasto wrote:
I wrote an application a few years ago to store my data -> I suppose being a computer programmer has its perks. I’ve got all my data stored in a SQL database & allows me to look back at all my different workouts & even allows me to ‘beat’ my previous bests at different weights.

I even added a little button “Generate workout text” that generates the exact text that I’d need if I was logging my workouts here online. (or another forum)[/quote]

That’s is brillant. Makes me want to edit mine. Although I don’t have access to a sql server at home. I guess an access database will do. Also love the brag on twitter feature. Nice touch!

Notepad for me.

Log books are cool, but the Ctrl + F function is what puts Notepad light years ahead.

[quote]Rasto wrote:

I even added a little button “Generate workout text” that generates the exact text that I’d need if I was logging my workouts here online. (or another forum)[/quote]

Have you written any part of it that can track progress and see patterns in your exercise selection that have produced the best gains?

CS

[quote]dirtman wrote:
That’s is brillant. Makes me want to edit mine. Although I don’t have access to a sql server at home. I guess an access database will do. Also love the brag on twitter feature. Nice touch![/quote]

Yeah -> the twitter function was me playing with the Twitter API & trying to get my twitter count up! LOL. It uses the workout name, total time, and total amount lifted “Wednesday DE Upper - Week 4 - Deload ~ 60 minutes ~ Total Weight lifted: 16245 pounds ~ Posted from WorkoutLog application”

For the SQL Server part -> You know SQL Server express is free, right? (I’m just sayin’)

:wink:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

Have you written any part of it that can track progress and see patterns in your exercise selection that have produced the best gains?

CS[/quote]

I haven’t done that part per say -> although with all the data in a database, it would be a matter of figuring out the correct the query to pull out that data.

More recently I did add some functionality where I could find out what my top 10 “max # of reps” at a specific weight were for an exercise. Kind of neat to see the progress (or regression?) when you’re working out. I’ve attached an example -> for my squats at 200lbs. I like knowing what the max reps were for a weight & when the last time I did it was. Kind of helps motivate you to keep getting “one more rep” I think.

[quote]dirtman wrote:
That’s is brillant. Makes me want to edit mine. Although I don’t have access to a sql server at home. I guess an access database will do. Also love the brag on twitter feature. Nice touch![/quote]

PS -> I keep telling myself I should re-write the app so that it has simple login capabilities so that other people can use it. I originally wrote the app in .NET 2.0, then re-worked in .NET 3.5 (now with AJAX!) and now I’m looking for a way to learn ASP.NET MVC…who knows?

I love how Notepad does not mean a note pad.

theres a 531 iphone app…I installed it on my ipad…it rocks my socks