Computer Help!

Ok so here’s the deal:

I just started a job with a new company and they have given me a project where I will need to make a fairly complicated excel macro, and possibly split it up into multiple macros. I got this assignment because it deals with financial data, I’m the youngest in the office (so I therefore should be great with computers?), and hell I’m the new guy so stick it to him.

The thing is, I’m a finance guy! You want to know what a stock is going to do or how much you should buy a firm for? I’m your man. A complicated excel macro? Crap.

Does anyone here know a place I could go to and get some help from? I’m thinking along the lines of a geek squad, but they don’t do software help.

By the way by complicated I mean the macro will involve several Hlookups, if statements ect.

Thanks for any help!

Pierce

i’ve gotten some good help from the people at kasamba.com

usually have reasonable rates.

Good luck man. I had to do macros last summer, but used access. Not very good with macros in excel.

Use lots of google searches until you find a good forum that helps with this stuff. That’s how I pretty much got through that summer.

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
Good luck man. I had to do macros last summer, but used access. Not very good with macros in excel.

Use lots of google searches until you find a good forum that helps with this stuff. That’s how I pretty much got through that summer.[/quote]

Lol sounds like my hell. The real PITA part of this is, I have to do it because someone from Germany is too lazy to just read our data the way it is. For no reason that is known to me, it must be put into this one particular format. But what I suppose is even more ass backwards is that we refuse to just put it into that format to begin with.

In case you didn’t know there is a record macro function that records anything you do manually. This helps tremendously if you know what you want to do, but are not sure about how to code it.

Remember that Google knows everything, or close to it.

I do remember about the record macro function, the thing is I would need to do a lookup just to make sense of the data. It comes down to being able to track every part that goes onto a car, by location it is produced, then price, and then taking that info and putting it into a German format. Fun stuff huh?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
I do remember about the record macro function, the thing is I would need to do a lookup just to make sense of the data. It comes down to being able to track every part that goes onto a car, by location it is produced, then price, and then taking that info and putting it into a German format. Fun stuff huh?[/quote]

Maka a pivot table

I would suggest getting yourself some ebooks on the subject. Try appzpla.net - it’s a forum where you register for free, and then use the search button and look for “excel”. I just tried it and there are quite a few books on excel available.

If you do look into it and need some help, PM me.

I’m a finance guy who’s also a computer guy, but I was a computer guy (well, math guy, really) first, so I jumped into VBA (what most people call “Excel Macros”) pretty quickly.

The two sites I used the most when learning VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) were j-walk.com and www.cpearson.com. j-walk.com is more oriented to beginners and has lots of good examples, but both assume a fair amount of knowledge with programming concepts already.

Feel free to PM me if you need further help.

hey thanks for all the help guys!! I will be checking out those sites tonight and tomorrow!

I wish I could just use a pivot table!! Oh well thus is life as the new guy!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
The real PITA part of this is, I have to do it because someone from Germany is too lazy to just read our data the way it is. For no reason that is known to me, it must be put into this one particular format.[/quote]

Welcome to the corporate world :slight_smile: