Computer Help

Okay guys im applying to college and i need to upload a document but the only word processing program i have is Microsoft Works and the common-application process does not allow me to upload documents from this program.

When i try to upload my essay it says the following:

“Please select a file of the following type to upload:
.doc, .xls, .rtf, .pdf, .wpd, .txt”

basically, i dont even know what that means. can someone tell me either a program i can download (for free) or some way to convert this file?

thanks in advance

In MS Works there should be an option to save as text(.txt). Upload that file and it should accept it.

I’m not sure I fully understand what you’re asking, however Works will allow you to save your essay in .rtf (Rich Text Format) and other formats as well. Select the Save As from the file menu and select .rtf in the Save As Type box when the dialog box comes up.

thanks a ton guys. i saved it as an rtf and it worked fine.

I actually didnt even know that feature was there.

[quote]TomRocco wrote:
thanks a ton guys. i saved it as an rtf and it worked fine.

I actually didnt even know that feature was there. [/quote]

You have much to learn young Padawan :slight_smile:

[quote]TomRocco wrote:
Okay guys im applying to college and i need to upload a document but the only word processing program i have is Microsoft Works and the common-application process does not allow me to upload documents from this program.

basically, i dont even know what that means. can someone tell me either a program i can download (for free) or some way to convert this file?

thanks in advance [/quote]

Have you tried Google documents.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
TomRocco wrote:

thanks in advance

Have you tried Google documents.[/quote]

Or OpenOffice…

[quote]Renton wrote:

Or OpenOffice…

[/quote]

I gotta say I dig OpenOffice…

[quote]Renton wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
TomRocco wrote:

thanks in advance

Or OpenOffice…

[/quote]

Does it have a feature to store data online?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Does it have a feature to store data online?[/quote]

Not that I can see anywhere unless you use some third party thing like x-drive.