T Nation

Computer Advice / Acer Laptop

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
Are there actually Thinkpads that go for under $500?

I’d go with the Acer, but I have no recent personal experience with them.[/quote]

Yes, I think you can pick up an R series (as a closeout deal, maybe from TigerDirect) for that price. Maybe.

We use acers at work. Laptop and Desktops. I have had no issues with either cept for moving parts wearing out after a few years. Then I can replace them and put them in warehouse locations etc. They have a nice built in ghost utility for quick restore. And if you use external drives for your data your good as gold. One restore every blue moon and your machines runs good as gold.

My family and friends have Acer laptops ranging from the low end to the ultra gaming setups (pfffht)… Almost every week I am fixing something on them.

The only way to make an Acer work properly is to buy the most basic model with good performance stats, fucking wipe the piece of shit and install clean copy of XP (and forget trying to use it without AC for more than an hour… well that was generous actually).

Why standard? Because the ones with integrated webcams, blu-ray drives, different kindsa touchpads and fingerprint sensors, etc… just won’t work without Acer’s own Vista drivers.

Alright maybe I am a bit biased, I am sure yours will not be as problematic as the ones I have come across. cough

The Gemstones are pretty for sure though (only the audio touchpad and “subwoofer” stopped working after a week or so lol!).

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
We use acers at work. Laptop and Desktops. I have had no issues with either cept for moving parts wearing out after a few years. Then I can replace them and put them in warehouse locations etc.

They have a nice built in ghost utility for quick restore. And if you use external drives for your data your good as gold. One restore every blue moon and your machines runs good as gold.[/quote]

For the past 5-6 years I have used this custom built computer running Win XP Pro (Abit AN7, Athlon xp2600+, 2gb ddr400, Radeon 9800pro) averaging around 10 hours a day[quote]*[/quote], without a single system re-install or restore.

Now I do understand the difference between work and personal computer, but still I must confess I feel a bit special[quote]**[/quote]. :slight_smile:

Actually I haven’t broken any technical gizmos I’ve owned as far as I can remember.

[quote]* It’s silent, but I still prefer to shut it down when I sleep/am not at home

** I’ll leave that to anyone’s personal interpretation[/quote]

If you are ok with computers and run Win XP… do get the Developer version of SP3.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Saved my ass when I was cruising the web without a firewall couple months back and managed to gather quite an impressive collection of p… ahem malware crap on my comp. After a while it got so bad that even the standard fail safe mode stopped working and all I got from restart was either a bluescreen or a crash.

Luckilly this SP3 has a second even more stripped down fail safe mode that allowed me to nurse my comp back to it’s rigid operations capability and install adequate protection against harmfull infections in the future!

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
Where in Minnesota are you? I work at best buy, you can come and buy a computer from me :slight_smile:

P.S. I know the ins and the outs of the PC sales industry, most of you are hypnotized and don’t really know what you’re talking about. Not trying to be arrogant about it just remember I know the ins and outs of these machines. From quality to speed… there are differences.

The breakdown:

1. HP
  2. Toshiba
  3. High-End Acers
  4. Mac
  5. Dell ( DO NOT ORDER FROM ONLINE )
  6. Sony
  7. Gateway

This is how quality is sorted. Toshiba being the most durable[/quote]

Don’t worry, you’ll never sound arrogant when prefacing a sentence with “I work at Best Buy”

[quote]R@NE wrote:
Luckilly this SP3 has a second even more stripped down fail safe mode that allowed me to nurse my comp back to it’s rigid operations capability and install adequate protection against harmfull infections in the future!
[/quote]

LOL - you’d think if you know enough to get the developer’s version of SP3, you’d know enough to sandbox your pr0n in a VM of Ubuntu or your favorite Linux distro, or at least use the free non-malware sites.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
Where in Minnesota are you? I work at best buy, you can come and buy a computer from me :slight_smile:

P.S. I know the ins and the outs of the PC sales industry, most of you are hypnotized and don’t really know what you’re talking about. Not trying to be arrogant about it just remember I know the ins and outs of these machines. From quality to speed… there are differences.

The breakdown:

1. HP
  2. Toshiba
  3. High-End Acers
  4. Mac
  5. Dell ( DO NOT ORDER FROM ONLINE )
  6. Sony
  7. Gateway

This is how quality is sorted. Toshiba being the most durable

Don’t worry, you’ll never sound arrogant when prefacing a sentence with “I work at Best Buy”[/quote]

Testy1 speaks truth. A friend of mine went to get a laptop at Best Buy because he knew of a few with big rebates and wanted to take advantage.

He asked the salesman, heretofore referred to as “jackass,” if the couple of models he was looking for had 4-pin firewire connections; jackass went on a spiel about how only Macs have firewire connections because they own the patent.

When my friend said that just about every laptop he’s ever seen has had firewire, jackass tried to convince him that they were mini-USB ports. Because, you know, no one ever licenses a patent or anything.

I’ve never met a BB employee who could even run an inventory check competently.

Still better than Circuit City though.

Curious, HangerBaby, why wouldn’t you order a Dell online when it’s significantly cheaper most of the time and you have more component options to choose from? Also, why isn’t ASUS on your list?

-Dan

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:

Curious, HangerBaby, why wouldn’t you order a Dell online when it’s significantly cheaper most of the time and you have more component options to choose from?

[/quote]

I wouldn’t order a dell either. They used to be decent, but I’ve been really upset with their build quality (and customer support) in the last few years.

My wife had a dell laptop that had issues with the ac adapter port – it wouldn’t plug in or charge. That was several hundred to get it fixed… the first time. Then it happened again.

She also has a dell desktop. It bluescreened and completely shit out not once, but twice. The first time she listened to the tech support guy, formatted, and lost all her data (I wasn’t around when it happened and she claims he never mentioned full data loss was a consequence).

There went the only copy of her master’s thesis. The second time it bluescreened and refused to boot, customer service told her to format again. I Was around that time, and I got it up and running, but I’ll never trust that machine to store any kind of sensitive data again, making it a very expensive typewriter.

[quote]Travacolypse wrote:
There went the only copy of her master’s thesis. The second time it bluescreened and refused to boot, customer service told her to format again.

I Was around that time, and I got it up and running, but I’ll never trust that machine to store any kind of sensitive data again, making it a very expensive typewriter.

.02[/quote]

I wouldn’t buy their consumer lines either - they’ve taken to using shitty Foxconn mobo’s in their desktops and the consumer laptops have always been iffy.

Their business lines, however, are pretty good.

Same goes for consumer/business tech support.

Hope she learned to keep multiple copies.

-Dan