T Nation

Compressing Video Files?

Hey, I need some help.

I recently bought a dig. camera (Samsung Digimax A402) and it can take video clips.

Since I bought a memory card for the camera, my video files are larger than 10meg and I can’t send them with Hotmail, Yahoo, my Outlook Express, or Putfile.com.

Does anyone know of a way to compress these files?

I can choose a lower quality with the camera, but you can barely make out the person’s face with it.

Thanks,

you could try an xvid or divx encoder. You should be able do download both from the internet. The person you send it to would then need a decoder, satsukis.decoder.pack is a pretty good one IMHO.

you could also try ogm to encode/decode . GREAT compression but I?m just starting to use that, so I would not know if there were any problems down the road with it.

get your buddies onto AOL Instant Messenger (or whatever one you like) and then send them the file directly. This way you don’t have to screw with it at all.

Discrete Cleaner XL and Sorenson Squeeze come to mind as the best all around re-compressing programs.

They cost money… unless you find them for downloading, you know, somewhere.

You might also try download.com and search for video compression or some such for some non-enterprise options.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
get your buddies onto AOL Instant Messenger (or whatever one you like) and then send them the file directly. This way you don’t have to screw with it at all.[/quote]

I don’t recommend doing this. Go with the previous piece of advice. Go with a DivX encoder. I actually got my degree in Animation with video editing as being a few of my classes. After getting done with my groups senior design project, the video file was around 50 or 60 MBs, I think that was using an MPG2 encoder.

Anyhow, we used the DivX one, and it reduced it down to 2 or 3 MBs. Save yourself and your friends on AIM time by reducing the files in the first place. Plus if you are doing any amount of video editing or collecting, the space they take up add up fast. I know for our project, by the end, it was around 10 Gbs for all the seperate video clips and files.
-T

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just tried a divx encoder (from divx.com) and it gave me an error message when I tried to add any of my video files to it saying that type of file isn’t supported.

I downloaded the free trial “DivX Play Bundle with free 15-day trial of the DivX Converter (Windows 2K/XP)”.

The converter is what I tried to add the file to, then I tried the player and got the same message (which I expected since I didn’t change the file yet).

I’m pretty sure the files are .AVI, and when I right click the video and check the properties it shows “Type of File: Video clip” and it opens with Windows media player.

Any suggestions?

none?