Compound vs Isolation Hypertrophy Study

I would be interested in seeing a study which compares the hypertrophic results of a compound movement vs an isolation movement.

Like for example examining the hypertrophic increases of the chest where group A does dumbell presses and group B does chest flies and of course equate volume/intensity.

I’d be inclined to say the isolation movement would lead to a slightly greater muscle gains because you are able to exhaust the muscle fully vs a db press where the shoulders or triceps might give out before the chest.

Ovbiously the benefit of a compound movement is that it will train multiple muscles at the same time and it’s rather unfeasible to only do isolations in the gym.

But I’m curious as to what the seasoned lifters here think?

Seasoned lifters use both types of lifts for the most gains.

The ratios vary.

4 Likes

I think that building muscle is a more complicated process in the body than what you’re describing, and that simple exhaustion of muscle fibers is only a part of the equation. You’re completely ignoring hormonal response here.

6 Likes

Another thing to consider is the development of all the supportive muscles that are involved in compound movements. If overall strength has anything to do with your goals, you’re going to need to perform compound movements. The muscles in your body are designed to work in synergy.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right if you’re interested in strength it would be silly. That’s why I said from a purely hypertrophy-related experiment.

Altough the exercised-induced hormonal changes you speak of have been largely debunked to have any correlations with muscle growth.

But I’m curious as to why you believe a db press will have a different effect on hormones than say, a chest flye?

Oh Fuck …here we go again.
science

watching

7 Likes

…“Another Majoring in the Minors Thread”…

1 Like

“Chest flies” = DB flies? If so, I’m curious to hear what the difference is between DB presses and DB flies that renders presses a ‘compound’ movement and flies an ‘isolation’ movement.

1 Like

Even if you could somehow control for all of the variables and produce a peer-reviewed study that conclusively says one or the other is “better”, what does the real-world application look like? Let’s say the guy in a white coat with a clipboard says leg extensions are superior to squats for hypertrophy, how would you apply that knowledge to your training?

I think what can be taken from it would be if you want to bring up a muscle it would prove beneficial to isolate it very hard. Which is something competent gym goers already do but I feel like a chunk of gym goers half-ass their isolation work because they feel it is less effective than the compound work which I believe is false.

Also, squats and leg extensions aren’t interchangeable since squats work more than just quads. So i think the right takeaway would be if you want to bring up your quads fast, focus more on the leg extensions after you’re done squatting. Thats my take

Only people hoodwinked by Ripplestilkskin believe that stuff.

Everybody who does curls knows isolation lifts are effective but different.

4 Likes

I’ve heard plenty of bodybuilders say this from experience. Huge dudes. Are you suggesting that you or other people wouldn’t try this approach if it wasn’t proven via a study somehow?

That may be true. Do you feel this way about your own training? Or is this wish for a study rooted in altruism, so that more people will gravitate to training methods shown by studies to be superior?

Are these problems really problems that can be solved by a study? Are you envisioning a person whose trap development is in crisis finally cracking the code that gets rid of his neck once and for all?

Or are you more concerned with people only getting kinda jacked from compounds when they could be getting even more jacked?

There’s no wrong answer to any of these questions, by the way. I’m just curious why people think studies are so important in lifting.

I’m more interested in crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me and hearing the lamentation of their women, but I’ll keep that in mind if I ever want to grow my quads.

1 Like

Just cheat your isolation movements by using a lot of body English and turn them into compounds to get the best of both worlds, duh.

6 Likes

^ tho im curious if the study will prove im right and isolations can build more muscle than compounds.

It won’t. But if you are doing barbell curls with 135 or 225lbs you will have some big arms I guess.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on why you believe otherwise.

Actually I said that you should do compounds but if you want to grow a lagging muscle it’s best to start looking at isolating it hard because the compounds might not be fully fatiguing it. I guess you didnt see it because you’re busy posting memes.

Like if you want to grow big quads and squats aren’t cutting it you might want to look into doing leg extensions rather than tack on more squats which aren’t fully fatiguing your quads.

I use to listen to all these studies until I found a group of Einsteins of the lifting world. They gave me a formula that has worked for me and many others 100%. Guaranteed or your money back!

Consistency + Hard Work + Eating Enough x Compound Movements^2 (Isolation + Conditioning - Junk Food) = Strong, big, aesthetic, conditioned muscular body.

If you are in PL, Strongman, Bodybuidling, OL, the variables change a bit, but the foundation of the formula will remain the same!

But you can still squat. Front squats or high bar more narrow stance will FOR SURE blow up your quads.

2 Likes

Just curious what is your experience level? just starting out ? or got some time under your belt?

No your not… your wanting to debate them.

There is already a term for that its called a assistance movement…

I read this as ‘If what you’re doing isn’t working, do something else.’ Which is pretty solid advice. My only quibble is that it needn’t be limited to the context of recommending isolation exercises to someone who mainly does compound exercises.

Perhaps or perhaps isolation work would just compound the problem

:smile:

2 Likes