Compound Row

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
JamesBrawn007 wrote:
K2000 wrote:
The compound row appears to me like a regular pulldown movement (with a specific handle) just like you would do at the regular pulldown station, except you “lay back” during the contraction. I always thought this was a form of cheating, but I do see a lot of advanced lifters lean back during the contraction, so maybe I’ll try it. But those two movements appear to be identical in form, as far as path of motion, angles etc. Am I wrong?

I also don’t see how any significant weight can be used, performing the movement ‘free-standing’ as described.

Check Nick T’s demonstration in the article: you lean back (you have to or the weight would pull you forward). It’s unlike a pulldown because you are standing several feet back from the pulley. Once your lower body is anchored in the desired position, it doesn’t move and instead your upper body pivots. I find it stimulates upper back, as well lower back and abs because of the pivoting motion. So together with the natural stress on arms, as well as focussing on keeping the lower body tensed, I think it is a great compound exercise.

That wouldn’t be sufficient for above-bodyweight work and probably not bodyweight.

That fact wouldn’t make it useless of course. But I’m having a hard time seeing it as likely to be superior to more common methods. It doesn’t have enough promise (to me) for me to want to try it.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t recommend it as a mass-builder per se. And, you’re right, a shit-load of weight on this movement would be hard to master in terms of technique. However, my contention remains that this is a fantastic addition to a compound-based HVT routine where the emphasis is on fat-burning/lean mass gain. I recognised this the first time I saw it and immediately incorporated it into a lactate session, where the load is naturaly lighter and reps higher. For me, it was a great choice.