T Nation

Composition Over

Ok I don't know if the title captures what I wanna say but: Should someone be/do you look at the macro's over "quality" of the food?

This is what I mean: I'm eating my awesome peanut butter with an apple. I dip the apple slices into the PB and munch on that. Now I know that you don't really wanna mix all the macros together, but-am I shooting myself in the foot with this kind of snacking?

PB: (32g) cal-169(fat cal 98), fat-11g, carb8g (4g fiber), protein 10g, sugar 2g (multiply by 2 to get what I ingest in that meal)
apple: cal-65, carbs 17g, Fiber 3g, Sugars 13 g

Now, I'm NOT obsessing about this. Just wondering.

I don't think it's as bad as say, eating some fries with a bottle of ketchup///

I can think of better snacks, but there's not much wrong with that...especially with the serving size you're talking about. Why don't you just create a daily recipe list including your snacks if you want to micromanage all the details so intensely? That way you don't have to worry about things like this.

I don't really wanna manage it so intensely, as you put it. I was just wondering if I'm fucking up somehow. And I'm only basing it on the thing that you're not really supposed to mix carb,fat,prot all together. Unless that's a myth and I got sucked in by it. I mean, I know there's a difference getting all of the macros mixed up in let's say pepperoni pizza, and what I describe before. I'm just wondering how "bad" is it in the type of snack I mentioned.
Thanks for input.

PS: feel free to list snacks

PPS: holy shit ur ripped

The main aesthetic reason combining carbs and fats could potentially be a problem is that you're making it more likely that the insulin response caused by the carbohydrates will then also shuttle the fats you've ingested into fat storage. An apple unless I'm mistaken creates a relatively small insulin response so in my opinion, like I said before, it's not the best snack I can think of, but it's not that bad either. A similar scenario could be combining a rib eye steak and broccoli which I do all the time. This isn't going to be a problem because broccoli although technically a carbohydrate isn't going to have an impact on your insulin levels. I personally don't snack like that. I don't like to worry about "free-style" eating, so I actually follow a boring plan every day. The actual foods change, i.e. 350 grams of tilapia instead of 350 grams of chicken at such and such a time. But the construct and timing remain the same.

my thoughts exactly.

I'd be more concerned with getting some protein with said snack though.

DaVinci- I see. That helped (I think). So basically, if I decide to have carbs AND fats together, make sure the carbs are low GI so they don't pump the fat into storage? Or am i getting this wrong?

spadesofaces- 20g of protein in a snack is too little? Hmmm now that I think about it, it is. Thanks for pointing that out

I'd say that's an ok generalization.