Composing Program with Limited Equipment

Hey T Nation community,

I’m a former fitness nut of 6 years who’s fell off the wagon hard and I’m looking to get back into it. The tough battle for me is to stay consistent and develop a reasonably attractive routine to ease myself into training again. That and a busy work schedule will likely enable me to work out 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes.

Here’s the catch - my closest gym has dumbbells, a chin up bar, double-sided pulleys, kettlebells, medicine balls and some cardio equipment. While it may seem sufficient for now, I wanted to ask around whether someone could offer me some tips or point me towards a resource that could help me. Namely, I’m looking to put together a program of 3-4x/week, with the equipment that I have available, and focusing that program on regaining muscle memory, gaining core strength & mobility, and enabling me to get into the mindset of working out again.

Thank you!

That’s more than I have, both time and equipment.

I usually do a main movement working up to a few heavy doubles or triples, then 3-5 sets of an accessory. With pullups throughout.

For conditioning I do a lot of KB Swings or stairmaster.

Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate on your program a little more - especially if you follow a detailed method of sets/reps/exercises?

Sure it’s pretty simple. I have three main movements: front squat, deadlift, OHP, and a chest day when I’m staying in hotels.

Leg day may look like:
Front Squat
Work up to 5 doubles at 90% max

Spit Squats with KB
3x12

Goblet Squats

OHP day
Axle or Oly bar
Work up to 3 triples at 85% max

KB Press or KB Snatch
3x12

Pullups throughout workout

It’s fairly simple containing a heavy main movement and higher rep accessory. I mix up the main movement using TBDL, axle deadlift or oly, etc.

Conditioning is KB Swings, stair master or jog.

I work 60ish hours a week and play baseball plus am the president of a league. I don’t have a lot of time so workouts are usually 2-4 times a week for 20-30minutes using what I have at home.

Loads of good tips here…