T Nation

Complex Training

I tried my version of complex training recently, because I have been wanting to get back into basketball playing shape. This is what I did, how I did it, and the results I came away with.

I took a week off lifting and started my program. The program I just came off was very basic, Deads, Flat Bench, Bent Rows, Lunges, Pullups, SLDL’s, Close-grip bench presses and Barbell Curls. I had my deadlift up to 370, and that is the only lift I am going to talk about because that is where my question is.

When I played Junior College basketball we had this drill called 16 in 60. You have to run the width of a basketball court 16 times in 60 seconds. If you dont run your ass off, plant, and run the other way you are not making the time. So this is hard. At first I would do 1-2 sets 2 times during the week, while continuing my previous program. Then I started complex training. I would deadlift5-8 reps, with about 250-275, then go outside and do a 16 in 60. First off, when I finished the first day my hamstrings were hanging off my thighs. The next week when I went to do the complex training again, I would say I lost 60lbs on my deadlift at least. I was not very happy with that but I stuck with it. I did this for about 4 weeks. I had been playing basketball this whole time on days I wasnt lifting about twice a week. My jumping began to be extremely explosive, my hamstrings and glutes were like hair-trigger sensitive, they just felt very taut, and I was jumping out of the gym. But the weirdest thing happened. The longer it was since I had lifted the less explosive I felt. Then the next lifting day came and I could jump again.

My question is this. Was the huge increase in jumping ability due to acute factors (nervous system stimulation of some sort)? Or is this to be expected with this type of program? I have my theories but I’m interested to hear what other people have to say.

It probably has to do with the “complex” training itself. It has shown to have potentiation effects on the nervous system.

[quote]Ze wrote:
It probably has to do with the “complex” training itself. It has shown to have potentiation effects on the nervous system.[/quote]

I second this, wave-loading is where it’s at.

I know for squats that it’s super-easy to see. Do jump squats with 10%, 20% and 30% of your 1RM all with plenty of rest. On the second wave, I’ve almost invariably seen more higher jumps.

^^^^^Exactly, what was your theory Shadowzz?

It seems to me that it is a combination of an acute response to a single bout of complex training, and a slight increase in “maintained” adaptation reaped through the program.

But I also must say this, when I did this program while I was playing basketball, I was a beast for the first 2 weeks, after that my nervous system shit the bed. What I hate is that the jumping ability, explosiveness I have attained seems more an acute product of the actual training, and not any significant residual change/improvement in those attributes.

I think alot of the nervous system excitement sprinters, DH hitters try to stimulate. Its not that you are improving yourself over the longterm, but kindof manipulating the existing system…

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
What I hate is that the jumping ability, explosiveness I have attained seems more an acute product of the actual training, and not any significant residual change/improvement in those attributes.[/quote]

This is very true to a large extent. I feel like my standing VJ and, to an even greater extent, my running VJ vary a solid 3-4" at times.