Complex of the Day

I thought it would be a good idea to get this thread up and running.

I’m gonna start with posting a complex each day, and you guys comment accordingly with your own complexes or opinions on how mine can be improved.

Today’s complex is pretty rough: incline DB press/kroc row (same DB’s)/dip/pullup/plank.
4 rounds of this, trying to hit 8 reps on the weighted movements and going to failure on bodyweight movements.

Can we give the complex chick names? You know, to make it easier to remember or something.

[quote]mattyg24 wrote:
Today’s complex is pretty rough: incline DB press/kroc row (same DB’s)/dip/pullup/plank.
4 rounds of this, trying to hit 8 reps on the weighted movements and going to failure on bodyweight movements.[/quote]
I hate to be Tommy Technicality, but I’d call that a circuit, not a complex. And if you’re using the same weight for incline DB presses and rows, they’re almost certainly “plain old” DB rows, not Kroc rows.

That aside, interesting idea. I recently wrapped up 4 weeks of Cosgrove’s Complexes for Fat Loss.

This was an uncut “real time” workout on the last week:

Last set starts around 10:00 if you’re interested.

I haven’t played much with heavier/low rep complexes, but I’ll probably work them in sometime down the road.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]mattyg24 wrote:
4 rounds of this, trying to hit 8 reps on the weighted movements and going to failure on bodyweight movements.[/quote]
I hate to be Tommy Technicality, but I’d call that a circuit, not a complex. And if you’re using the same weight for incline DB presses and rows, they’re almost certainly “plain old” DB rows, not Kroc rows.

That aside, interesting idea. I recently wrapped up 4 weeks of Cosgrove’s Complexes for Fat Loss.

I haven’t played much with heavier/low rep complexes, but I’ll probably work them in sometime down the road.[/quote]

That seems pretty brutal with the jumps incorporated.

My favorite low rep complex goes like this

hang clean - push press - front squat - RDL - row

I don’t like having to put the bar on my back and then push it off after a lot of fatiguing with heavy weight, so the bar is always in front. I’ve gone up to 165 and 3 reps and it is exhausting in a very different kind of way

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]mattyg24 wrote:

I haven’t played much with heavier/low rep complexes, but I’ll probably work them in sometime down the road.[/quote]

That seems pretty brutal with the jumps incorporated.

My favorite low rep complex goes like this

hang clean - push press - front squat - RDL - row

I don’t like having to put the bar on my back and then push it off after a lot of fatiguing with heavy weight, so the bar is always in front. I’ve gone up to 165 and 3 reps and it is exhausting in a very different kind of way [/quote]

I partially tore my subscapularis (if that’s the correct spelling) a few months back, so I have to stay away from olympic lifts and squats for a while.

Today is a bodyweight CIRCUIT: 10 rounds of wide grip pullup/pushup/plank/jump rope all nearing failure. Gonna be brutal but I love training outdoors.

Inspired by Chad Waterbury’s ‘fat loss finishers’, I use as a standalone, which is quick when time is of the essence, and/or resources limited (I have a 20kg KB at my girlfriend’s house for such occasions!):

20kg single KB
A1) Goblet squat
A2) One arm alternating high pull (both limbs = one rep)

Rep scheme: A1 = 20/18/16/14, etc; A2 = 10/9/8/7, etc

Execution: do A1 for 20 reps, then with with as little rest as possible do A2 for 10; next set do A1 for 18 and A2 for 9, until you reach 2 and 1.

Waterbury advocates moving onto a 10/5 rep scheme after this but personally I’m gassed after the 20/10. Whole thing takes under 10 mins. Heart monitor is out of action at the moment so I can’t state what my reading is.