T Nation

Complete Beginner

Hi All

New to the site, someone else directed me here. Basically I am 5ft7, weigh 10st even and have large excess of fat. I want to get a more athletic physique, gain more muscle and reduce fat levels. Could someone of you knowledgeable chaps point me in the direction of a workout plan and also a diet plan. Thanks in advance...

Another pic

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/1/c/1c4b4-sbcbcljcj9f755z3qkv_1_.jpg

Another…

Read the stickies at the top of the beginners forum.

AR

surely! If you go to tmuscle.com you will find a ton of free articles by some of the worlds best training and nutrition experts. New articles are posted 5 mornings a week. There is a ton of stuff to read. It’s all really interesting. Some of it is theoretical, some of it includes programs. You should, in a short while, have enough information to pick out a good beginning program that meets your goals. Also, at tmuscle.com, there is a handy dandy search function, where you can search the entire site (including or excluding the forums, as you prefer) for a topic (and believe me, you aren’t the first person to come here in approximately your position… there’s plenty of previous advice to read).

I suspect that folks will not be very helpful towards you in response to the question you pose here, because the site is brimming over with resources for you if you take a moment to seek them out. That said, if you run into any more specific questions, I suspect folks will be eager to help you answer them!

Dan

Sure thing.

Workout plan - Do a simple 2 day split. Work your upper body one day, lower body the next. This’ll get you working out and learning to do some basic exercises. Try to stay to the basic lifts like presses, squats, rows, deadlifts. After some time of mastering these exercises invest some more in discovering more unique workout plans for your specific goals.

Diet plan - Again, stick to the basics. Be sure to eat enough, but try to stay clean. Get enough protein, good carbs and good fats. Using this formula you’ll be sure to gain some muscle, lose some fat and be on the right track to more advanced training/dieting.

Begin by reading the stickies up top. Seriously. They’ll acclimate you to the site. Then browse some articles on training and diet. You can find links on the main page that’ll direct you to what you’re looking for. But, start with the stickies up top. Welcome to the site.

Try reading all the threads at the top of this forum aimed at beginners:

Bulking Tips for Newbies
New to T-Nation?
Must Reads for Beginners!
Are You A Beginner II

These will point you in the right direction. I’ll warn you (because I had an awesome session today and I’m in a fantastic mood), people on here will tell you to use the search function. If you do some reading and post specific questions you’ll get more help.

Good luck.

Cheers for responses.

I wasn’t being a lazy fucker asking you to help me with exercise/diet. Its just I am completely knew and there is sooooooooo much info out there it can be a little daunting to say the least!!

I’ll start with the stickies and work my way from there.

Thanks again

I don’t think anyone called you lazy? This site’s a powerful resource and there’s a lot of knowledgeable users. Just a word of caution: there are also a lot of people who don’t give the soundest advice. Read, learn, grow. And don’t be afraid to ask questions. Good luck.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
I don’t think anyone called you lazy? This site’s a powerful resource and there’s a lot of knowledgeable users. Just a word of caution: there are also a lot of people who don’t give the soundest advice. Read, learn, grow. And don’t be afraid to ask questions. Good luck.[/quote]

No one called me lazy. I just wanted to make sure that wasn’t the impression I was giving off.