Competitive Powerlifters

This is what most of the arguments here look like. The people on both sides argue something that really looks like an argument, and is a close imitation of a logical argument, but that’s all it is. It’s like when a little kid makes a joke; he knows that there’s supposed to be an opening and a punch line, but he doesn’t quite grasp the humor part.

[quote]luburic wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
Well, since you asked the question and will only agree with the answer you want, then yes, that’s the absolute best way to do it.

You’re right. Great observation. You’re super smart. Way to go.

Everything I said, I backed up with arguments.

Nobody proved that I am wrong either.
I am waiting to see a post from some competitive powerlifter to give his honest opinion.

Why would I abandon my point of view just to agree with others?
Either post something useful or live your sarcasm at home. [/quote]

That’s because we don’t freaking care. They did give you their honest opinions, with a couple people deliberately misunderstanding you. You just didn’t want to hear it. Let me get this straight, you posted a rhetorical question to start a thread, so you want everyone to tell you how smart you are?

PS–it’s “leave” not “live”. Yes, that’s “LEAVE your sarcasm at home” not “LIVE your sarcasm at home”.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
This is what most of the arguments here look like. The people on both sides argue something that really looks like an argument, and is a close imitation of a logical argument, but that’s all it is. It’s like when a little kid makes a joke; he knows that there’s supposed to be an opening and a punch line, but he doesn’t quite grasp the humor part.

[/quote]

That is so true.

[quote]luburic wrote:
A 200 lb. powerlifter benches 400lb.,deadlifts and squats 500 lb.
His bench makes only 28 percent of his total!

HIS BENCH MAKES ONLY 28 PERCENT OF HIS TOTAL!
Why should he concentrate on benching more,when he can build both squat and deadlift with developing bigger and stronger legs![/quote]

Because in order to be really good you have to be good in all 3 lifts. The best PLers don’t have a major weakness. Why, because the competition isn’t thinking about just one lift, they are training all 3. I do agree with you (as I said before) that if you did have a speciality the worst thing to specialize in is the bench.

But what I also said, that you didn’t respond to, is that you can increase your strength through neuromuscular coordination in all 3 lifts without changing your size, so if you can improve all 3 why would you only improve 2? And yes I compete in PL.

[quote]luburic wrote:
3.most powerlifters spend most of their time trying to build bench[/quote]

wrong

[quote]luburic wrote:
Lets say you compete in 165 lb.weight class,have 6% body-fat and your total is not increasing.
Can you lose some muscle from upper-body to add muscle in legs .That way you increase 2 lifts-squat and dl.
[/quote]

I’d say you are sacraficing energy producing substrate, hormonal production, neurotransmiters, and recovery ability at that point.

Optimal body comp in strength sports is about 10% +/- one or two.

At this point your would actualy have to recompose your body with a few lbs. of fat to get better results.

It’s not quite as simple as getteing as lean as possible at a certain weight.

The flaw in your strategy is not in allocation of muscle, it’s in the composition.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
luburic wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
Well, since you asked the question and will only agree with the answer you want, then yes, that’s the absolute best way to do it.

I am waiting to see a post from some competitive powerlifter to give his honest opinion.

Either post something useful or live your sarcasm at home.

That’s because we don’t freaking care. They did give you their honest opinions, with a couple people deliberately misunderstanding you. You just didn’t want to hear it. Let me get this straight, you posted a rhetorical question to start a thread, so you want everyone to tell you how smart you are?

PS–it’s “leave” not “live”. Yes, that’s “LEAVE your sarcasm at home” not “LIVE your sarcasm at home”.

[/quote]
What is wrong with you,man?!

[quote]jackreape wrote:
Nah, the only time you back off on a lift is if you are focusing on another, but it is athree lift sport and you need to be prepared to do your best in all threelifts because you don’t know what will happen on meet day.

You keep your muscle mass down by keeping the reps down and skipping the buffet.

jmo
jack[/quote]

Yes,its a three lift sport,but winner is the powerlifter with biggest total,not the most all-round powerlifter.
But,huge respect for your opinion Jack!
You are THE ONE with GREAT TOTAL!
Good luck with your training and competing!

P.S. No problem in keeping the reps down…I hate high reps(anything over 3 reps,and in deads anything over single,ha ha ha!!!) so I increase the weight!
But avoiding food is much harder!

[quote]nptitim wrote:
luburic wrote:
A 200 lb. powerlifter benches 400lb.,deadlifts and squats 500 lb.
His bench makes only 28 percent of his total!

HIS BENCH MAKES ONLY 28 PERCENT OF HIS TOTAL!
Why should he concentrate on benching more,when he can build both squat and deadlift with developing bigger and stronger legs!

Because in order to be really good you have to be good in all 3 lifts. The best PLers don’t have a major weakness. Why, because the competition isn’t thinking about just one lift, they are training all 3. I do agree with you (as I said before) that if you did have a speciality the worst thing to specialize in is the bench.

But what I also said, that you didn’t respond to, is that you can increase your strength through neuromuscular coordination in all 3 lifts without changing your size, so if you can improve all 3 why would you only improve 2? And yes I compete in PL.[/quote]

Thank you for your post!
You are right regarding neuromuscular coordination,but you have to agree that you can add much easier 50 pounds on deadlift than on bench without increasing muscle mass.

From my own experience I have seen skinny guys with skinny legs squatting and deadlifting a lot,but I have never seen a lifter with small upper body and arms benching big.Thats very rare.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
luburic wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:

Either post something useful or live your sarcasm at home.

[/quote]

Sorry,American is not my native language!

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
luburic wrote:
Lets say you compete in 165 lb.weight class,have 6% body-fat and your total is not increasing.
Can you lose some muscle from upper-body to add muscle in legs .That way you increase 2 lifts-squat and dl.

I’d say you are sacraficing energy producing substrate, hormonal production, neurotransmiters, and recovery ability at that point.

Optimal body comp in strength sports is about 10% +/- one or two.

At this point your would actualy have to recompose your body with a few lbs. of fat to get better results.

It’s not quite as simple as getteing as lean as possible at a certain weight.

The flaw in your strategy is not in allocation of muscle, it’s in the composition.

[/quote]

It seems to me that most elite Olympic weightlifters are under 10% BF in lighter weight classes.
I might be wrong,though.
Maybe their muscle tone is so high that 12% BF athlete looks like 8%BF.

[quote]luburic wrote:
Thank you for your post!
You are right regarding neuromuscular coordination,but you have to agree that you can add much easier 50 pounds on deadlift than on bench without increasing muscle mass.
[/quote]

I do agree with you on that point.