Competition Within the Gym

There’s this guy, who is an absolute cock at the gym. You know the type, THINKS he’s a meathead and someone special, cos he can do 2 plates aside for a few.

Thankfully, I can out-lift this wanker in the bench and squat, which is what matters, but my brother can’t, not YET, soon though.

You’re going down PUNK, anyone at your gym who has one of them faces you just wanna punch all day lonnnng??

JUST HAPPENED TO ME!!!

im been forced into a shit commercial gym because my hardcore one is currently unavailble.

today me and my mate were in and doing legd. there only have a smith machine, NO BARS. so we were forced to squat in the smith machine…

we were going to parallel and squeezing out the hard reps.

this absolute fucking retarded fucktard, comes over and says my mate who according to him is “lanky” was grimacing at the bottom of the squat. so this obviously means that he is destroying his back. but apparently its ok for me to grimace at the bottom.

i challenged this retard with the fact im half an inch shorter than my mate so y is it ok for me? i also asked him how he thought we should strengthn are legs and backs then and he pointed me to the leg and back extension machines…

i laughed at him and continued1 squating. this fucktard knows my mates mum and went and got her out of a class and told her that i was hurting her son. she came over and asked what was going on… this guy went off on one, siting the fact that his son has a bad back and used to squat instantly making squating bad. she just looked at us and went “be careful lads” then walked off knowing this retard was infact a retard.

this guy qouldnt let it sit and went and got who he thought was a “PT”. but the guy he got is infact a rugby strength coach… he took are side and starting ripping this fat bastard out. then tubby mc tub tub walks off saying “well when ur in a wheelchair because of not squating,dont come crying to me”,

i retaliated with “when ur in a wheelchair from not squating, make sure to order a XXL one made of titanium”

i continued to squat, then did stiff leg DL and hack squats. he keep looking over and shaking his head.

he then challenged us again as we left the gym. i stood there and took the flack of him… then walked off without saying anything. ive just got back from the gym.

this guy was doing a circuit of the upper body machines, putting up the whole rack but using about 1/8 ROM on all movements and thought he was class. he was about 40, has the normal big biceps, tattoos to highlight the fact, A MASSIVE GUT. and was wearing tracksuit bottoms to hide the obvious stick legs beneath.

If this gym wasnt infact also my work id have headbutted the fat cunt!

RANT OVER :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, some people need putting in there place.

Maybe gyms should have yearly competitons, could be something like:

5RM Bench Press
1RM Squat
Repetition deadlifts
And other tests to test how athletic you are

And then after that we could have the bragging rights all year round and laugh at these nobs.

my gym in glasgow has a push/pull competition every quarter. which is good craic and gives everybody in the gym something to train towards.

but then again it is a hardcore powerlfting gym and all the dickheads stay upstairs in the “fitness” suite

while all the guys who have goals and actually no what there doing go down to the dungeon (weights room). you pretty much have to earn the right to go down there, first couple of times you go you will be looked at and everyone will watch you to see if you are training hard, if your accepted you will get a multitude of advice and plently of amazing training partners. its like a brotherhood.

How old are you people?

19…

you calling us cry babies? :stuck_out_tongue:

Your time would probably be better served if you ignored these people. These people used to bug me, but I’ve learned to ignore them and I’m much happier.

I get on with my own thing.But they still piss me off haha.

i tried to today. the first time he approached me… i just said cheers for your advice but im going to continue doing squats anyway.

he then pretty much kept chiming in after every single set…

i need my old gym back.

were abouts are you from and what gym were u training in?

I bet guerrero likes this thread a lot.

In all seriousness, I use to get mentally competitive with a lot of people in the gym, more to prove to myself who was better. Eventually, I zoned everyone else out and focused on my own workout.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I bet guerrero likes this thread a lot.

In all seriousness, I use to get mentally competitive with a lot of people in the gym, more to prove to myself who was better. Eventually, I zoned everyone else out and focused on my own workout.[/quote]

A little competiton never killed anyone. Use them as someone to beat I say.

One thing that kind of pisses me off is the guys who are legitimately stronger than I am, but during their workout they don’t even try. And instead of being silent and ignoring me, or encouraging, they straight up talk shit because they are more experienced or stronger. It would be nice if some of the veteran lifters were more supportive or even neutral in their attitudes towards new guys.

I am squatting 205x5 for a number of sets and this is a new PR for me, so I am pumped up and shit. Some cat is doing 365 next to me like its nothing. Good on him, but he comes over to me and tells me I need to use more weight because I am being a bitch. Wow. Talk about a douschebag. I add 10 lbs a week to my goddamn squat and deadlift, and I never downtalk anyone else for working at max effort. Everyone starts somewhere.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
One thing that kind of pisses me off is the guys who are legitimately stronger than I am, but during their workout they don’t even try. And instead of being silent and ignoring me, or encouraging, they straight up talk shit because they are more experienced or stronger. It would be nice if some of the veteran lifters were more supportive or even neutral in their attitudes towards new guys.

I am squatting 205x5 for a number of sets and this is a new PR for me, so I am pumped up and shit. Some cat is doing 365 next to me like its nothing. Good on him, but he comes over to me and tells me I need to use more weight because I am being a bitch. Wow. Talk about a douschebag. I add 10 lbs a week to my goddamn squat and deadlift, and I never downtalk anyone else for working at max effort. Everyone starts somewhere.[/quote]

Ye, you’re right. Them type of guys (a lot of them are nothing to brag about) give them stupid little tips when people first join.

When my brother first started, he couldn’t squat or bench two wet socks- like a lot of people. He’s now adding on weight every session, and in the next couple of months will already be stronger than them guys.

It’s all about consistency, make your weakest link, you’re greatest.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

I am squatting 205x5 for a number of sets and this is a new PR for me, so I am pumped up and shit. Some cat is doing 365 next to me like its nothing. Good on him, but he comes over to me and tells me I need to use more weight because I am being a bitch. Wow. Talk about a douschebag. I add 10 lbs a week to my goddamn squat and deadlift, and I never downtalk anyone else for working at max effort. Everyone starts somewhere.[/quote]

Fuck those people, you shouldn’t even give a shit. I’d give some tip for something to say to them, or a technique to ignore them, but just fuck 'em all together.

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
There’s this guy, who is an absolute cock at the gym. You know the type, THINKS he’s a meathead and someone special, cos he can do 2 plates aside for a few.

Thankfully, I can out-lift this wanker in the bench and squat, which is what matters, but my brother can’t, not YET, soon though.

You’re going down PUNK, anyone at your gym who has one of them faces you just wanna punch all day lonnnng??
[/quote]

How did we know you were young and immature?
hmmmmm
– two plates aside (per side)
– using cos (because)

Young and imamature?

More like just lazy. I wouldn’t say per side, so i typed it how I would say it.

I think YOU’RE that guy. :slight_smile:

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
I’M not immature.
YOU’RE immature.
[/quote]

Wow.

The only way to make your post more impressive is with a QED at the bottom.

I used to try to outlift the other religious lifters in the gym, but now I don’t let it bother me, and do my own thing

this may be why the ipod is the single greatest gym invention. you can completely immerse yourself in your own workout and ignore everyone else there. Who cares what someone else is lifting? my mind is on my next set of deads.

The one thing that does get to me is trainers who are absolutely terrible, I really wanna walk up to them and ask their low back training is going (after they finish a set of hip humping, halfway bent over backwards curls with the weight that their trainer picked for them and is watching them completely screw up because they don’t know any better).