Competition Diet Feedback

I’m currently weighing in at 234. Last November I had my body fat tested at 249 and another time at 251, my lean bf was between 183 and 189. The lower number is less reliable, I have learned because the calipers were not the greatest. In any case I believe I need to get down to 190-195 to try be ready for my competition on the last weekend in October. It is a natural event. The following is just the Day 1 diet.

Meal 1
5 ounces liver
1 cup green beans

Meal 2
5 whole eggs

Meal 3
5 ounces liver
1 cup green beans

Meal 4
5 whole eggs

Meal 5
5 ounces steak

Meal 6
5 ounces chicken breast

On Day 2 I add a cup of green beans to one meal and a potato (10 ounces) to another.
On Day 3 I add one more potato.
On a weekly schedule I plan to have day 7 of the week to be another Day 3, with a cheat meal around 1500-2000 calories. Like a pizza or a dessert.
I only workout 2 days a week, I have not found that I can recover like some people can, so I intend to make the earliest Day 3 a workout day, as well as my cheat meal day. Of course I intend to manipulate the diet for post-workout nutrition on those days.

At the beginning of the diet I plan to use Plazma and MAG-10, and I will look to add a couple of more supplements after some time has gone by. I would appreciate some feedback on this as well.

Also in a few weeks I may add 20 minutes of steady state cardio every day. As it stands I play hockey as a goalie once a week.

Beef Liver (Calf)*

[quote]tuttle wrote:
I’m currently weighing in at 234. Last November I had my body fat tested at 249 and another time at 251, my lean bf was between 183 and 189. The lower number is less reliable, I have learned because the calipers were not the greatest. In any case I believe I need to get down to 190-195 to try be ready for my competition on the last weekend in October. It is a natural event. The following is just the Day 1 diet.

Meal 1
5 ounces liver
1 cup green beans

Meal 2
5 whole eggs

Meal 3
5 ounces liver
1 cup green beans

Meal 4
5 whole eggs

Meal 5
5 ounces steak

Meal 6
5 ounces chicken breast

On Day 2 I add a cup of green beans to one meal and a potato (10 ounces) to another.
On Day 3 I add one more potato.
On a weekly schedule I plan to have day 7 of the week to be another Day 3, with a cheat meal around 1500-2000 calories. Like a pizza or a dessert.
I only workout 2 days a week, I have not found that I can recover like some people can, so I intend to make the earliest Day 3 a workout day, as well as my cheat meal day. Of course I intend to manipulate the diet for post-workout nutrition on those days.

At the beginning of the diet I plan to use Plazma and MAG-10, and I will look to add a couple of more supplements after some time has gone by. I would appreciate some feedback on this as well.

Also in a few weeks I may add 20 minutes of steady state cardio every day. As it stands I play hockey as a goalie once a week.[/quote]

Workout 2 days a week? Hmmmm… No bueno

Had to look up “No bueno”. Also I calculated the calories. Day 1 = 2000 (rough numbers here), Day 2 = 2200, Day 3 =2500

If you can get by without losing lbm by only training twice a week, that’s fine for you then, even though it’s probably a bit uncommon. Calorie wise, there’s a fine line between scaling back just enough for consistent progress and going too far and risking muscle loss and metabolic slowing in the process.

For a guy over 2 bills, 2000 calories as your low day sounds excessively low.

S

Where would you put the number given my timeline? I have not started this diet, but stepping on the scale this morning I was 231.6, every time I eat liver I lose a ton of fat. I have a few days in June and July where I plan to ramp it up, law school exams, I know what it is like mentally when you diet and I don’t want my GPA to reflect that btw.

Training 2x a week actually represents an increase in training frequency for me, up from 1. I used to train far more frequently, but I did not grow and scaling it back, those are the numbers I got to.

Try vince girondas eggs and stake for ultimate definition about 8 weeks before comp, that’s the recipe for succes

I started this a while back, and I’ve been suggested to make a log to help with the questions I have about Indigo 3-G. I have 30 day supply.

I currently sit at 223.0. And I did what I said I would do about taking two consecutive cheat days on the days I have law quizzes, the most recent was Monday-Tuesday, it took me until today to get down to where I was before. So I expect to get down to 220 by Wednesday. Wed is my law exam date, so I plan to do it again, and again workout on the second day. This is the last time I will do this before the competition, I will only have cheat meals from now on, and only once per week.

I have been using Indigo since Wednesday this past week, today is Sunday. I have noticed my definition increased, but part of the result is a little exaggerated, because I also play hockey on Friday’s as a goalie, and I got a little bit of a tan.

Getting down to 220 by Wednesday may not happen perfectly, because since I learned that I should not go below 100 grams of carbs I decided to alter my diet, now 3 potatoes is my low day and 5 potatoes is my high day.

The questions I have deal with when I should eat these carbs. Should I eat them in the 6 hour window after ingesting Indigo or does it not matter as long as it is on the same day?

I took pictures a few days ago, however the camera my wife uses really sucks. This sounds like I’m deluding myself, but I believe it makes anyone look fatter in the pics, I’m gunna try with a different camera soon.

When I do post the pics, it will still likely be misleading to look at my body because I have very good genetics for striations. For example, the beginnings of my glute striations are already there when I flex, and I have had lower back striations since 240. I still have 30 lbs to lose.

When do people take pics? Right after a workout? First thing in the morning?

I am currently losing about 2 lbs a week before the introduction of cardio or Indigo.

My workout plan is based upon Dr. Hatfield’s bodybuilding book. But it is heavily influenced by Dorian Yates as well, and it has been further adapted to my recovery capabilities and the pre-competition diet I am doing.

The entire body gets trained in 2 weeks, I’m not going to go into detail about how I train in the off-season.

On the first Saturday I train Back, and it will be one of two workouts, either an A or a B workout, they are alternated every workout.

A Back: Pullover Machine 8x12 Not to failure- I have not yet figured out the right weight to do this yet, I need to lower it from what I am doing at the moment

Machine Rear Delt exercise 1x12 Not to failure
         Deadlifts 1x12 Not to Failure - During the offseason I was doing this with 365, I'm currently using 320, though I could still go higher and am working on it

B Back- Pullover Machine 3x12 last set to failure
Bent-Over Barbell Rows 3x5 last set to failure
Rear Delt Machine 1x8-15 to failure
Deadlifts 1x12 Not to failure

Now you have seen the template, 3x12 and 3x5, it applies to all the B workouts.

Legs would then fall on the following Thursday.
A Legs 5x8 Squats- the last time I did this the weight was 405 going to parallel
Abs- Hanging Leg Raises- 8x 15
Standing Calf Raises- 8x12

B Legs- I often do the 12’s and 5 alternating, so 1 set of Seated Curls, then one set of leg extensions. Etc.
3x12 Seated Leg Curl
3x12 Leg Extension
3x5 Lying Leg Curl
3x5 Hack Squats
4x15 Calf Raise Machine, there is not enough weight on the machine, and the Smith Machines do not have safety catches on them. In the past with proper Smith Machines I can do a little over 700 lbs 8 or 9 times to failure.
Abs 8x15 Hanging Leg Raises
Abs and Calves are done alternating as well.

Next is Chest and it falls usually on the next Sunday.
A Chest 10x10 Pec Dec Machine - Any biceps involvement always gives me Biceps problems, can’t do flyes or anything like them. Recently tried 20 lbs for incline flyes, no good.

B Chest
1x8-15 Set Pec Dec Machine to Failure
3x5 Hammer Strength Decline Press
3x12 Hammer Strength Incline Press

Shoulders would then come on either Wed or Thurs
A 8x12 Rear Delt Lateral Machine
8x12 Side Lateral Machine
I have begun adding Calves and Abs to this workout, same as A Legs version.

B Shoulders
2x12 Rear Delt Lateral Machine
2x12 Side Lateral Machine Lateral Machine
3x5 Seated Dumbbell Press
Abs

Before each workout I have Brain Candy and Plazma. After each workout I have MAG-10.

Outside each workout I take a multi-vitamin with one of my fatty meals. I also take Cod Liver oil, CLA and soon I will be adding Omega-3s. And as I mentioned I have recently started taking Indigo.

Trends with losing weight: only recently did I learn that I did not need to add any sugary carbs when I took MAG-10, and since I cut that it was not unusual to drop a lb and a half after a workout day. During the period taking Indigo I mentioned that I increased my carbs, but it that weight loss trend continues after I drop carbs again after Indigo, I may have to increase my overall caloric intake, at least on workout days.

Just realized I did not put my Biceps work in there. Biceps are trained with Shoulders- when my Biceps are not bothering me. I don’t train triceps. My triceps are fantastic, and don’t need it.

A Biceps 10x10 Cable Curls

B 3x12 Incline Curls
3x5 Hammer Curls

Also I mentioned that I am not doing cardio, and I do not plan to add any until fat loss slows. Then I will introduce it slowly and gradually, but daily. For example 15 minutes is what I would plan to do the first week I add it, and slowly move up from there.

If I followed your training template right, it looks something like this?
Sat: Back
Sun: off
Mon: off
Tues: off
Wed: off
Thurs: Legs, abs, calves
Fri: off
Sat: off
Sun: Chest
Mon: off
Tues: off
Wed or Thurs: Shoulders, biceps, abs, calves
Fri: off
Sat: Back
etc.

That’s just wild, man, but I find it phenomenally hard to believe it’s that difficult for you to recover from 7-12 sets per workout every 14 days.

[quote]tuttle wrote:
My triceps are fantastic, and don’t need it.[/quote]
Dude, you seriously need to post a current picture, like, immediately. No “I’m getting a better camera soon”, no “but it’s not going to show me correctly”, no excuses. I’m seriously confused by your current condition. 20+ % bodyfat with fantastic triceps and glute/low back striations while training bodyparts twice per month. So confused.

Doesn’t really matter, just preferably be consistent with each pic. After training people tend to look their best, all pumped and stuff. First thing in the morning, you tend to look “leanest”, with an empty stomach and no mid-day food bloat.

Like I said before, I think at your height (5’8"), 190-195 on-stage natural is kind of gigantic. Just be open to the idea that you may end up at a lighter bodyweight if you seriously push for enough fat loss to be stage-ready.

X2 on everything Chris said. The way you’ve described yourself, you have to look pretty awesome. Your workout schedule baffles me. I have a hard time understanding how that sort of schedule would be productive.

5x8 squats at 405 lbs is god damn impressive as well. I did 405x10 once, and it was the most difficult set of squats I’ve ever done, without question. I really hope you post some pictures soon.

When I’m not dieting I do Squats at 445 for 5x8, I only go to parallel however. My best on a set of Squats was 465 for 7, which was only a couple of months ago. But with lower glycogen I can’t handle the same weights. When I was 23 and more inclined to powerlifting-style training I deadlifted 545 for a single on a number of occasions. But after they changed the age for Juniors down a year, at least for the federations I had been looking at, I stopped bc I did not have an interest in pursuing powerlifting long term.

I should mention that it’s not my muscles that can’t recover fast enough. After every workout I am thrashed for a day or two, so I think it’s my CNS. I have a requisition form for a blood test to get done because of it, but I don’t wanna do a 12 hour fast while dieting, so I plan to do it after the competition.

I’ve decided I’m not going to wait for a different camera. I’m going to use my Ipod after my workout on Thurs. Before then I have to figure out how to get the pics and vids of my kids off of it and onto my laptop, bc its full.

The bodyfat tests I mention in the first article are from November and December. They were not first thing in the morning but my BF% was measured at 24 and 25% @ 249 and 251. I’m now at 223. One thing I should mention about my body is that I have wide hips and somewhat larger bones than average, so not all the weight I speak of is muscle.

Also I am open to the idea that I am lighter, I’m not married to that weight. The federation recently posted information about who I expect to be my main competition for the contest, he was a fitness pro recently and now he’s trying to get his bodybuilding pro card. He is small, but he also has a small waist and he can get into condition, so that is my priority. One other thing I notice about natural competitors is that they are so unbalanced. It’s so rare to find a body that is not missing either the back or the legs. And rear delts are almost impossible to find. I have balance issues as well, but they are more left to right, and not to the same degree.

I just made the decision to move to all liver for protein. for the course of the Indigo, this allows me to have about 170 carbs through potatoes on a low day. and 255 on a high day.

Funeral Thurs, won’t be able to upload till next week, out of town.

[quote]tuttle wrote:
I just made the decision to move to all liver for protein[/quote]

that’s really not a good idea

[quote]tuttle wrote:
I just made the decision to move to all liver for protein. for the course of the Indigo, this allows me to have about 170 carbs through potatoes on a low day. and 255 on a high day.[/quote]

Maybe I missed it, but what was your rationale for this?

S

They keep telling me to raise my carbs while I’m on Indigo 3-g. So I need to cut fat.