Comparing Zercher and Back Squats

How does your Zercher Squat and your Back Squat Max Compare?
I’m at 405 for Back Squat and 315 for Zercher. What about you all?

That sounds about right. I have not figured out my 1rm but I know I can do more with my back squat than zercher squats.

It’s the exact opposite for one of my buddies, he can zercher 455 but can only back squat 380.

It depends on the person I guess. I’m kinda curious though what the advantage of a zercher squat is biomechanically speaking.

I’ve been back squatting for 2 years and zercher squatting for a week. I feel like I might have had 10 pounds of extra zercher left in the tank yesterday. It’s defiantly easier to move more weight in a zercher squat than a front squat.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
It depends on the person I guess. I’m kinda curious though what the advantage of a zercher squat is biomechanically speaking.[/quote]

Zerchers defiantly force you to stay tight in the descent and ascent.

would being able to zercher squat more than you can back squat indicate an imbalance?

My zercher squat is 250 vs 200 for my squat. I’m clearly not a monster, but does this perhaps indicate a weakness? Lower back? I’m tall and lanky and have trouble avoiding leaning forward when back squatting. Maybe a flexibility issue?

I think your back squat will eventually overtake your zercher squat as you continue to train. The same is with your pull-up in relation to your bench press. If you start off training right your pull-up is greater and then your bench press overtakes your pull-up max.

And this is my Parallel, Wide-Stance Squat. I don’t know how Zercher relates to your ATG Olympic High Bar Squat. I wouldn’t give it much thought since both the powerlifter style squat and the zercher squat should be done with wide legs.

And I’ve just started to do the Zercher. Maybe I’ll discover my Zercher is closer to my real squat once I get better at the Zercher.

I imagine that the Zercher Squat cannot be as strong as the back squat otherwise the Zercher squat would have taken the back squat’s place in powerlifting.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
It depends on the person I guess. I’m kinda curious though what the advantage of a zercher squat is biomechanically speaking.

Zerchers defiantly force you to stay tight in the descent and ascent. [/quote]

I’m actually thinking that zerchers allow you to be as flexible as when you do back squats (ie. I could do a goodmorning in a zercher position). In fact, I think there is greater potential for zercher than a back squat because you have a lower center of gravity and it is easier on the back. This could be why we weak guys can zercher more than we can back squat. Stronger folk could back squat more because they’re used to it. The only limitation of zerchers IMO is when your elbows hit your thighs or the sheer weight rips them apart.

Just my two cents. Feel free to argue.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

Zerchers defiantly force you to stay tight in the descent and ascent.

I’m actually thinking that zerchers allow you to be as flexible as when you do back squats (ie. I could do a goodmorning in a zercher position). In fact, I think there is greater potential for zercher than a back squat because you have a lower center of gravity and it is easier on the back. This could be why we weak guys can zercher more than we can back squat. Stronger folk could back squat more because they’re used to it. The only limitation of zerchers IMO is when your elbows hit your thighs or the sheer weight rips them apart.

Just my two cents. Feel free to argue.[/quote]

Makes sense. You could be right. But the weight that can be held in your arms will eventually become an issue. I think people with 500 pound zerchers and 800 pound squats can back squat more because when the back squat is done perfectly there’s more efficient leverage but when starting off squatting, it’s easier to get better leverage out of the zercher. Maybe I’m full of shit. Maybe you are. Maybe we both are.

I think for the people who can Zercher more than they backsquat, that a big part of it is technique on the squat. The Zercher doesn’t take a technician to do, it takes a monster who will grip and rip. The back squat, if done right, is very technical and a small flaw can change your numbers significantly. But, I’m sure there are also those people who have leverages better suited for Zerchers.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
And this is my Parallel, Wide-Stance Squat. I don’t know how Zercher relates to your ATG Olympic High Bar Squat. I wouldn’t give it much thought since both the powerlifter style squat and the zercher squat should be done with wide legs.[/quote]

I do zercher squats ATG olympic stance. My elbows hit my thighs that way though.