T Nation

Comparing Protein Powders?

Hi, I have only recently found this site and i’m very impressed with all the info on here. I was really interested in the v diet article and spent a few days last wek reading up on it.

I don’t want to start a debate about different supplement brands, I am only asking this question so I can understand a bit more. I am confused by the differences between protien powders. I was given a couple of tubs of Nutrisport 90+ from a friend about a month ago and have only had a few servings. Over the last few months I have been eating paleo style, so I didn’t feel the need to supplement with shakes, as I was getting a lot of protien through eggs, meat and fish.

I have noted that the price of this powder is cheaper than most others. In most cases I have the view that you only get what you pay for, but have been told that this is not the case with supplements, as there are pricey ones which are not that clever. I checked that the nutrisport also has whey and micellar casein. I have also bought a tub of Metabolic Drive and am thinking of getting another one. The Metabolic Drive by Biotest are around double the price and I wanted to know how superior to nutrisport it is. If I have to I will bin the nutrisport and buy more of the other.
Cheers.

Part of the fun of working out is having nice (costly) supplements to support you. So buy the best you can afford, without spending to much of course. I am on the V-Diet also, or atleast a version of it. I eat a very lean high protein meal at night like a can of tuna or lean beef patty. You might want to get some Surge for your workouts.

TM

gav, I recommend reading the full article in the T-Nation store on Metabolic Drive if you haven’t already. This would be the best clarification for you on the quality of Metabolic Drive. If a product has a bargain price attached to it often times there’s a reason for it.

D

Cheers guys, I will read that article about Metabolic Drive some time tonight. The price difference between the US and UK is unbelievable.
In total I will be taking the shakes plus ZMA, Surge Recovery, TRIBEX gold and HOT-ROX. I also take vit c, multivits and chromium already. I use flax powder with my shakes also.

I am on my second day and have only been taking shakes. I should have everything by tommorrow.
Cheers.

[quote]gav223 wrote:
Cheers guys, I will read that article about Metabolic Drive some time tonight. The price difference between the US and UK is unbelievable.
In total I will be taking the shakes plus ZMA, Surge Recovery, TRIBEX gold and HOT-ROX. I also take vit c, multivits and chromium already. I use flax powder with my shakes also.

I am on my second day and have only been taking shakes. I should have everything by tommorrow.
Cheers. [/quote]

For those where outrageous shipping costs are a concern, and you have a protein that seems to be ok, maybe you could stick with that. Or do a 50/50 mix. Normally I push Metabolic Drive as a standard, given it’s quality both in taste and mixing, but it’s not the only product out there.

You have probably read all of the threads about people doing modifications of the V-Diet and not succeeding, or at least not to the potential that the diet has to offer. (I’m sure someone has, but most haven’t) So that is a factor as well.

Thanks guys for your help. I’ve calculated that for me to buy Metabolic Drive in the UK is roughly double to what you guys can get it for in the US. As it’s the main product that you use on the V-Diet I have to try and keep the cost down.

The nutrisport costs around the same as what your able to buy the Metabolic Drive. Although I know that the main goal is to keep as much muscle as possible I don’t really mind losing slightly more by using an inferior powder, as I don’t have that much to start with.

On Monday I was 164lbs, on the Tanita scales It said I was 19% fat, but when I used the calipers they were saying 14/15%, I was completely confused. Hopefully as I am using all of the other decent supplements, the powder shoudln’t cause much of a problem.
Cheers.

How is it going? I have also recently registered for this site and I’m also am pretty impressed with the info. Since I have gotten married (4 years), I have been pretty much on the poor man’s diet, (No offense to my wife) but I have recently graduated from college and am starting to become somewhat finacially sound so I would like to start adding supplements to my poor man’s diet.

Since I have been out of touch for a while, could you guys recommend some websites with quality products?