Company Announces Drug Screening

So this morning my company announces that there is a mandatory drug screening for 100% of employees at our location. I work at a plant location so that’s roughly 1,500 employees.

Our markets have been hurting lately and because of my position I have been in the many talks regarding how many people we have and how many we actually need. Up until now we had decided to bite the bullet and take the costs as a financial loss so we wouldn’t have any layoffs.

It seems the evil corporate machine has decided that they were going to agree with us in that sense but turn around and have this drug screen so we can fire people and not pay benefits.

Anyway just a random ass rant because I think this is BS. (I’ll pass btw, so I’m bitching on behalf of others lol)

So people who pass get to keep their jobs and those who fail don’t? With times the way they are, people should do what they can to ensure they keep their jobs, unless they have something else lined up.

I’m having a hard time seeing the problem here.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
So people who pass get to keep their jobs and those who fail don’t? With times the way they are, people should do what they can to ensure they keep their jobs, unless they have something else lined up.

I’m having a hard time seeing the problem here.[/quote]

I just see it as a cop out on their part and going back on their word. We had already told people in a company wide announcement that we would be avoiding layoffs at the expense of profits.

I’ve never seen a 100% test before.

Oh well. 7 down thus far :confused:

Tell everyone to also volunteer a stool sample in the specimen cup. When the testers ask why they were given a combo cup, tell them you can’t just #1 when you’ve go a #2 ready to go.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

[/quote]

That’s what they tell you. They are using this drug test as direct evidence of violation of company policy to cull the herd. The highest level corporate executives won’t suffer the consequences of a weekend coke binge in Vegas with their high priced hookers.

Profits always come before people in any large company.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
[/quote]

too true.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Tell everyone to also volunteer a stool sample in the specimen cup. When the testers ask why they were given a combo cup, tell them you can’t just #1 when you’ve go a #2 ready to go.[/quote]

HAHA I haven’t gone yet and I may just do that to them.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

That’s what they tell you. They are using this drug test as direct evidence of violation of company policy to cull the herd. The highest level corporate executives won’t suffer the consequences of a weekend coke binge in Vegas with their high priced hookers.

[/quote]

True.

The large companies will ALWAYS find ways to work around policies to get what they want, while avoiding possible lawsuits.

Typically, they’ll go after higher management to free up quick money, then move somone in their position, but pay them less, or they’ll just eliminate the position(s) and spread the work load around.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
So this morning my company announces that there is a mandatory drug screening for 100% of employees at our location. I work at a plant location so that’s roughly 1,500 employees.

Our markets have been hurting lately and because of my position I have been in the many talks regarding how many people we have and how many we actually need. Up until now we had decided to bite the bullet and take the costs as a financial loss so we wouldn’t have any layoffs.

It seems the evil corporate machine has decided that they were going to agree with us in that sense but turn around and have this drug screen so we can fire people and not pay benefits.

Anyway just a random ass rant because I think this is BS. (I’ll pass btw, so I’m bitching on behalf of others lol)
[/quote]

So if one refuses to take the test. Do they get fired and keep their benifits. I’m not sure what rights you poor Americans have in these cases.

If I had advance notice I’d go see a lawyer about my options. So if you do drugs you’re fired, so refuse the test get fired and see what happens.

Drug testing is so easy to get around, its not even worth worrying about. Especially if its going to be done within the working world. Its not like you are going to have someone watching you piss in the cup, and even that isn’t too hard to beat. If its going to be a blood test thats a different story. Don’t trip Crew, not much of anything will change. Its sad people dont do shit about this type of behavior, as people’s right are slowly being milked away from us while corporate filth takes over.

[quote]streamline wrote:
So if one refuses to take the test. Do they get fired and keep their benifits. I’m not sure what rights you poor Americans have in these cases.

If I had advance notice I’d go see a lawyer about my options. So if you do drugs you’re fired, so refuse the test get fired and see what happens.[/quote]

Fired on the spot, no benefits package. There was 0 advance notice. Everyone showed up today and this was given to us.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Its sad people dont do shit about this type of behavior, as people’s right are slowly being milked away from us while corporate filth takes over. [/quote]

See that’s the thing. Since I am in the corp. side of things, I’m trying to fight this for my employees.

I’ve already had a handful of people fail this morning. I think it’s BS and I would like to pick up the fight for them.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
streamline wrote:

If I had advance notice I’d go see a lawyer about my options. So if you do drugs you’re fired, so refuse the test get fired and see what happens.

Fired on the spot, no benefits package. There was 0 advance notice. Everyone showed up today and this was given to us.[/quote]

Damn.

What kind of company do you work for, if I may ask?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
Its sad people dont do shit about this type of behavior, as people’s right are slowly being milked away from us while corporate filth takes over.

See that’s the thing. Since I am in the corp. side of things, I’m trying to fight this for my employees.

I’ve already had a handful of people fail this morning. I think it’s BS and I would like to pick up the fight for them.[/quote]

See, they have you by the balls. As noble and right as it is, if you show opposition, this may affect your future with this company.

It’s corpoate politics like this that I fucking despise, but if you want to advance, then you have to play by their rules.

Was there a drug test to get the job/s? If not I cannot see how they can make everyone take and pass this test to keep their jobs. Corporate BS.

That’s the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. It sounds like layoffs were coming one way or another anyway, this is just their way of “sugarcoating the shit”.

But the plus side is as long as you are clean you have nothing to worry about right?

In my opinion, you can hardly blame your company for this, they aren’t the ones that think pot will kill you. That’s our government sticking their hands in places they don’t belong. Again.

I for one think a company has to do what it has to do. And this is a more fair way to do it than I’ve seen it done before. Things like tormenting a person until they quit are worse.

[quote]dday wrote:
Was there a drug test to get the job/s? If not I cannot see how they can make everyone take and pass this test to keep their jobs. Corporate BS.[/quote]

It is not to get the job, but rather to keep the job you already have.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
That’s the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. It sounds like layoffs were coming one way or another anyway, this is just their way of “sugarcoating the shit”.

But the plus side is as long as you are clean you have nothing to worry about right?

In my opinion, you can hardly blame your company for this, they aren’t the ones that think pot will kill you. That’s our government sticking their hands in places they don’t belong. Again. [/quote]

Also true. But they are getting out of having to pay the layoff benefits if they went that way.

My thing is, I need the best people working my lines. I really don’t care what they do once they leave the gate as long as they are performing well while here. What I see happening now is that the younger people are at risk so my line COULD end up with a bunch of old ladies and that’s it working it. Then I wont produce parts worth shit.

Layoffs should be on performace basis and they deserve the benefits they are entitled to if they get laidoff. We haven’t drug tested in YEARS now all of a sudden it’s a 100% test.

Lord knows what’s going to happen with our 3rd shift people. You gotta be on something to be able to work from 11PM to 7AM!

I guess time will tell the fall out of this. As a numbers person I suspect 10% will be out today.

I think Piss Wars (Urine Screening) should be against the law. What I do on my own time (smoking pot, etc. etc.) is my own fucking business. If I show up to work and perform my duties, my personal life is none of my employer’s fucking business.

Besides that, it is my understanding there have been a lot of false positives from these tests (such as people failing for having taken cough medicine, etc).

Anyway, rant aside, make sure that you are as clean as possible going in to the test. Hell, I wouldn’t take even the most LEGAL substance, supplement or medicine.