🥇 Community Challenge: 500m Row, Sub-2 Minutes

THE TEST

1. Hop on a rowing ergometer and start cranking.

2. Complete 500 meters in 2 minutes or less.

EVALUATION

I did it! You’re in pretty darn good shape.

I failed! Work on your conditioning. Try it again. Get better.

DETAILS

This is derived from a fitness test for rowing athletes. Now, coaches use this to test an athlete’s total body anaerobic power, but I think just getting sub-2 minutes is a pretty good indicator of overall fitness.

If you want to get picky about the test, drag factors should be set at 90 for females and 100 for males. (But I don’t think that’s a big of a deal. I just set mine to mediumish – not too light, not too hard. Rowing nerds will hate that.)

Try it out and post your results and experiences.

1 Like

I added the row machine once a week, five weeks ago.
500m = 1:50
2,000m = 7:41
3,900m = 15:00

4 Likes

I always row before lifting as part of my warmup. If I’m feeling sluggish I’ll take 2:05 to 2:10 for 500m, but if I have a reasonable amount of energy I do 1:55 or so. I’m not usually trying to go all out. I’ll give more of an effort on Friday (Thursdays are deadlifts) and see how it goes.

2 Likes

I’m lazy and don’t do any cardio apart from walking my dog and very light stuff with under11s football coaching. I pissed this though. I forgot to strap my feet up and I didn’t see what the drag was, but I’m happy with that.

I think I prefer the rower to cycling or running. If anyone has any suggestions for something I can do progressively for a maximum of 5-10 mins at the end of my workout once a week that won’t harm any other goals that would be awesome. I’m not well versed in cardio AT ALL.

If you got access to a rower I would recommend checking out the Beginner Pete Plan. It should give you some ideas.

2 Likes

The first time I tried this I added it to the end of a scheduled metcon session. Not the smartest move for testing purposes, but I was feeling froggy so I hopped:

Workout

Tire Flipping Machine: 25 flips, walking from one side to the other
Tire Flipping Machine: 30 flips with jump over tire (3 x 10)
Back Extension Machine: 3 x 15, bodyweight with holds
Ab Work: 4 rounds, banded sprinter’s crunch
500m Row Challenge: 1:48

Did the first 300m too fast and almost gassed out. Took a few breaths and finished up under 2 minutes. Tried it again fresh the following week and knocked off a few seconds.

The rower is awesome since it’s full body, if your form is halfway right. It’s the only cardio machine I actually own. I’ve always found it tough to use as NEPA though. It’s more of a go-hard machine. I’d rather just walk on an incline than try to row slowly.

I really like the stairmill too – revolving staircase, not stepper. Small steps, big steps (skipping a step), backwards, speed changes, holding a medball… so many ways to mix it up and they all suck. Positive adaptations seem fast though.

1 Like

This has been my experience with my rower, as well.

I’m in the middle of prepping for a move, but once I have space for the rower again, I’m going to give this challenge a shot.

1 Like

I set the timer to 2.00, got to about 1:40 and saw I still had quite a way to go so smashed the last bit out to finish on 501 in the 2 minutes. I felt like I could have gone a decent amount faster so I will see how I fare next time now I have a bar set.

I am extremely surprised I managed this because I consider myself extremely unfit right now. I can get short of breath just jogging across the road to beat the traffic sometimes, but rowing didn’t seem taxing at all. I think I could genuinely enjoy just pushing hard for a song length or two a couple of times a week.

Maybe I am underestimating myself. I haven’t had a chance to do the other challenge yet.

…or maybe someone set the rower to ez-mode

1 Like

Ha! I think there’s a good bit of carryover from lifting to general “cardio,” at least compared to the untrained person. Grab 100 regular, untrained people off the street and I bet 90%+ would fail this test, especially those over 30.

And I bet you’re a powerful puller and get a lot of distance per yank. [insert joke here]

2 Likes

Next time set the countdown feature to 500m so you get a precise time for the 500m.

2 Likes

Agree 100%, especially for short duration work like this particular challenge.

1 Like

I thought the Concept II was hard (and still do!) until I tried the Versaclimber…Holy mother of God!!!

I bet! I’ve never had a gym that had one. Played with one at a resort once. Brutal.

I tried this today at the end of my total body workout. Ended up with 1:35 and a max heart rate of 164 according to my Apple Watch. I was convinced I could do around 1:30 and so went out way to hard and then blew up with 275m to go. Lol.

1 Like

I did a WOD this week of:
1 mile run
2000m row
1 mile run

The rowing portion was sub-8 minutes, just after a hard mile run . I’ve improved a lot on the rower and now enjoy it. I hated it for a while though.

1 Like

Ended up hitting 1:43.3. Somewhat disappointing, but not terrible for a middle-aged guy who doesn’t practice rowing.

1 Like

The rower is probably my favorite cardio machine. I used to do a series of 500m row sprints for my harder conditioning day. Best efforts were always around 5:06 minutes and 508m or so.

Now I do a five minute row as a warmup/full body activation before lifting. Usually cover between 1050m if I’m feeling sluggish up to 1150m if I’m at my best.

Need to work on my form. I think I could shave off a few seconds if I improved my pull (back) to push (legs) ratio in favor of the latter.

Based on this, I’m around the beginner level for my age (56 yrs), which sounds about right. I tend to set the damper at 7 these days. When doing the row sprints, I would do the first half at 7 and the second half of my sprints at 9.

3 Likes

Had a go at this after my workout yesterday, missed it by 9 seconds. Aiming to have done it by the end of next month.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that, it gives me something to aim towards.

1 Like