T Nation

Communication in English at the Gym

I’ve always found it difficult to say certain things in English at the gym properly, here are a few of them:

1. Can I do a set/ Can we share the bench/ Can we alternate/ Can we take turns? - when someone’s using an equipment that you want to use.

2. Yes I’m using it but we could share/alternate/take turns if you want- when you want to let someone know that he can use the equipment you’re using.

3. No you finish your set, I need to add more plates- when you someone’s offering you to share an equipment with them but you want to let them know that you’ll workout with much heavier weights and that’s why you want them to finish first.

1 Like

1: “Mind if I work in?”

In the case of 3, I just change the weights between sets. I am at the gym to lift weights. Doing it between sets isn’t going to bother me.

1 Like

So ‘Work in’ means share?

1 Like

It means the concept you were wanting to express in point 1.

1 Like

Those are all acceptable. Just remember dickheads are everywhere and typically don’t care if you’re respectful or not; usually because they’re not intelligent enough to understand what you’re saying.

2 Likes

If talking doesn’t work, just start grunting and point at what you want. Its meathead language and most Neanderthals will get your drift:)

2 Likes

Lol. I’ll try that.

Maybe the people you’re speaking to don’t understand English.

Not always. An Indian guy told me ‘can we alternate’ and ‘can we take turns’, and that’s why I got a bit confused and had to post it here. Indian English isn’t always correct, so I wanted some clarification.

I think your English is more than fine and I understood what you meant.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll usually ask people “can I work in” or “Mind if I jump in when you’re done?”, but “Can we alternate” and “Can we take turns/Share” makes total sense

1 Like