Common Wisdom

I’ve got a question; wondering if anyone’s interested in answering it:

What common wisdom do you reject? What generally-held beliefs (either from this board or society-at-large) do you call bullshit on?

Here’s mine:

I hate the fucking Beatles. Just despise them, think that 99% of their music is pussy-ass muzac nonsense-adelia horseshit.

I enjoy working calves. Like everything about it, and it’s not like I’m genetically blessed with monster calves.

I couldn’t care less about powerlifting. I don’t know my max on any of the three lifts and don’t much care to find out. I’ve never done an Olympic lift and don’t want to. I like bodybuilding, period.

I think Family Guy is mean-spirited, derivative, and repetitive. Even worse, it doesn’t make me laugh.

I think respecting peoples’ beliefs is bullshit. Just because someone believes something doesn’t make it sacred.

Anybody have one?

What is the point of this? To piss and moan about things you don’t like?

Here is a common wisdom I think is BS.

Moss always grows on the north side of trees. Bullshit, it grows all around on the trees in my yard.

“What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger”

I say that’s bullshit.

“What doesn’t kill me, usually just pisses me off”

[quote]harris447 wrote:

What common wisdom do you reject? What generally-held beliefs (either from this board or society-at-large) do you call bullshit on?

Here’s mine:

I hate the fucking Beatles. Just despise them, think that 99% of their music is pussy-ass muzac nonsense-adelia horseshit.

I enjoy working calves. Like everything about it, and it’s not like I’m genetically blessed with monster calves.

I couldn’t care less about powerlifting. I don’t know my max on any of the three lifts and don’t much care to find out. I’ve never done an Olympic lift and don’t want to. I like bodybuilding, period.

I think Family Guy is mean-spirited, derivative, and repetitive. Even worse, it doesn’t make me laugh.

I think respecting peoples’ beliefs is bullshit. Just because someone believes something doesn’t make it sacred.

Anybody have one?[/quote]

I also hate the Beatles and like working calves, however, I think bodybuilding is worthless and latently homoerotic.

Family Guy rules.

Respecting peoples beliefs is fine, kow-towing to them is pretty weak. Stand by what you believe in.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
I couldn’t care less about powerlifting. I don’t know my max on any of the three lifts and don’t much care to find out. I’ve never done an Olympic lift and don’t want to. I like bodybuilding, period.[/quote]

That’s funny, because to my knowledge, the “big 3” and the oly lifts are some of the best ways to build your body. You’ve found a better way?

Once it becomes common it is no longer wisdom. It becomes relegated to the common sense trash heap. I don’t care about common sense, I want uncommon sense. But you need common sense before you get to the uncommon sense, because if you don’t and just happen to stumble upon a source of uncommon sense, you won’t recognise it. The more people think they have it all figured out, the less likely they are to actualy understand something new. I just try to remain teachable.

[quote]harris447 wrote:

Here’s mine:

You rebel, you!

[quote]harris447 wrote:

I call bullshit on this. You don’t get much more body building than increasing muscle mass, connective tissue and bone density.(see Cressys Dexa scan results for details)
If power lifting isn’t bodybuilding in the trueist sense of the word, then what in the hell is?

This post is kind of like that Alannis Morissette song entitled “Ironic”, but is really her just listing a number of things that are sort of annoying but has little to do with irony.

Oh ya, this isn’t the right thread for it, but this amused me too. I was checking a PM, and I noticed this at the bottom of the page.

Buddy List Edit Buddy List

You have no Buddies

Thanks for rubbing it in T-Nation.

|/ 3Toes

[quote]OneEye wrote:
harris447 wrote:

That’s funny, because to my knowledge, the “big 3” and the oly lifts are some of the best ways to build your body. You’ve found a better way?[/quote]

I dont’ believe I said I don’t do the power lifts. (Except for benching. I don’t particularly get much out of the flat barbell bench; db’s or incline/decline barbell seems much more efficient to me.) I look forward to leg day more than any other day in the gym because I sincerely loooooooove squatting. What I said is I don’t care how much weight I can lift, which is the point of powerlifting, right?

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:
“What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger”

I say that’s bullshit.

“What doesn’t kill me, usually just pisses me off”[/quote]

I agree, I think Nietzsche was just being an idiot when he said that. Anyway, shortly afterwards he went insane.

I agree about the Beatles, probably the most overrated band of all time.

I’m just going to say that the most overrated band of all time is The Rolling Stones.

The Beatles are absolutely amazing. They’re the only rock band that even comes close to the songwriting genius of the classical composers. If you don’t like their music, that’s something else.

I think in regards to not powerlifting he means that he’s not always testing his 1RM on the big 3. I could be wrong though. I don’t “powerlift” either but I still do the big 3.

I actually think it should be the big 6; chins, rows, bench, deadlift, squat, dips.

Being a musician, I often get slack for not worshipping The Beatles, I guess I just don’t get it, I still respect the hell out of them for being one of the most influential bands ever, but I’m just not a fan.

I like the idea of the “Big 6”. All my workouts consist of are variations of those movements, and since I have started to do this, I have gotten bigger and stronger.

I’m kind of with whoever said something about respecting others beliefs. I’m an atheist for the most part, or a hardcore agnostic, show me some proof and I guess I would drink the kool-ade. And while I’m fine with others believing what they want, for some reason they all feel the need to force their ideals upon me. I can’t count all the times when someone has told me that I’m going to hell because I don’t believe in god. Excuse me while I punch you in the throat. This might piss someone off, and this mindset may stem from religion being forced on me all my life, but I have begun to view religion as a way of life where individuality is frowned upon.

You have to read the same book, follow the same set of rules as everyone else, believe the same as everyone else, and if you don’t they burn you at the stake(pun intended). Sorry, but I don’t want any part of that, I’ll gladly take a life on my terms and spend eternity in hell than conform to the same beliefs as everyone else because…well, because you’re supposed to damn it.(pun again intended)

Sorry to go completely off topic, two things:

1 - It’s impossible to talk logically about a topic based on unbridled faith. Likewise, no one will ever prove the existence or non-existence of God. The whole idea is based on faith. Not logic and proof. Proof is something found in science. Religion isn’t science.

2 - I don’t care about people trying to convert me to their religion. It’s part of their beliefs. The Bible encourages Christians to show people the light. It doesn’t mean they should be pestering bitches about it, though, and that’s when it’s OK to get angry. Otherwise, if you have a problem with people trying to “convert” you, you have a problem with the religion as a whole, not with that person.

I couldn’t resist, sorry! (I’m not religious, btw)

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
Sorry to go completely off topic, two things:

1 - It’s impossible to talk logically about a topic based on unbridled faith. Likewise, no one will ever prove the existence or non-existence of God. The whole idea is based on faith. Not logic and proof. Proof is something found in science. Religion isn’t science.

2 - I don’t care about people trying to convert me to their religion. It’s part of their beliefs. The Bible encourages Christians to show people the light. It doesn’t mean they should be pestering bitches about it, though, and that’s when it’s OK to get angry. Otherwise, if you have a problem with people trying to “convert” you, you have a problem with the religion as a whole, not with that person.

I couldn’t resist, sorry! (I’m not religious, btw)[/quote]

You’re gonna go to hell if you don’t start respecting the Stones. Repent sinner!

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
I’m just going to say that the most overrated band of all time is The Rolling Stones.

…[/quote]

I agree. I like the Stones. They are a good band but the worship is just insane.

I just saw them in concert last week. Good show but it dragged in the middle.

The review in the newspaper claimed it was the best concert EVER. Give me a break.

Here’s another music-related one:

Dave Grohl is a better songwriter than Kurt Cobain.

Discuss.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Here’s another music-related one:

Dave Grohl is a better songwriter than Kurt Cobain.

Discuss.[/quote]

I’m gonna have to go ahead and disagree there, although I’m not sure if Grohl wrote any of Nirvana’s songs that I like. In Utero is a KILLER album.

It’s a matter of opinion I guess, but I’d say they’re equally good at best.