Common Thread in Programs?

I’m currently doing CW’s ABBH after having finished up WM. When I’m done I plan on moving on to a few of his other programs because I like the results I’m getting. Eventually, I’ll move onto some of CT’s programs and others.

I’m just curious if anyone here has detected a common theme or element in the programs designed by CW, CT, Coach Staley, Poliquin, Westside, etc.

I just thought of this question this morning on my way home from the gym. I feel pretty damned fortunate to be able to access all of these guys’ knowledge. I just wish I would have “caught on” earlier…like 10 years ago.

I’m sure they are all great programs?

How long have you been lifting?

Why don’t you design your own programs, for your own specific needs. If you know what lifts are working for you and what reps to use. Design your own program. Get the results your looking for faster.

I agree with Ian King, most programs out there avail. to the public are generic. Not meaning they don’t work or wont get you the results. But they are made for the general public to use.

I know what you mean about “catching on” 10 years earlier.

Common themes:

-Work hard but smart.

[quote]gottatrain wrote:

I’m just curious if anyone here has detected a common theme or element in the programs designed by CW, CT, Coach Staley, Poliquin, Westside, etc.

[/quote]

There are plenty of common themes in their work. That is because it is generally known what needs to be done in order to get stronger/bigger/leaner. Some that I can think of right now:

• compound movements are the basis of every routine
  • muscles/movements get hit at least 2x a week, but with different parameters
  • heavy lifting in 3-5 range for multiple sets is always present
  • not work to failure
  • there’s always some form of tracking progression from workout to workout
  • workouts are periodized in some way (sequentially, pendulum, accumulation/intesification etc.)

Also, when you look at certain routines, be sure to realize what is the particular goal of that each (eg. strenght, mass, conditioning, fat loss etc.)

The common thread is progression.