Common Misconceptions Wiki

Don’t open the link unless you have an hour to kill.

Bookmarked!

I love this kind of stuff.

Not that I exactly like having my world torn down, but it’s neat when you find out things like why the astronauts float when they’re up in the space shuttle (and it’s not because the gravity is diminished)

Sugar does not cause hyperactivity in children.[268][269] Double-blind trials have shown no difference in behavior between children given sugar-full or sugar-free diets, even in studies specifically looking at children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder or those considered sensitive to sugar.

This is one I’ve known for a while and it dies hard.

I’m a kindergarten teacher and kids get crazy when other kids get crazy.

I was slightly offended by this one. Seriously? Do people outside my motherland think May 5th is our Independence day?

[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:

I was slightly offended by this one. Seriously? Do people outside my motherland think May 5th is our Independence day?[/quote]

Yes and I have lived in South Texas for over 25 years, even Mexican-Americans think that.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:

I was slightly offended by this one. Seriously? Do people outside my motherland think May 5th is our Independence day?[/quote]

Yes and I have lived in South Texas for over 25 years, even Mexican-Americans think that.[/quote]

Bullshit! Everyone knows that Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of the date Tila Tequila invented Tequila.

“According to the California Academy of Sciences, only 59% of U.S. adults know humans and (non-avian) dinosaurs did not coexist.[209] The last of the non-avian dinosaurs died 65.5 million years ago, after the Cretaceous?Paleogene extinction event, whereas the earliest Homo genus (humans) evolved between 2.3 and 2.4 million years ago. This places a 63 million year expanse of time between the last non-bird dinosaurs and the earliest humans.”

This is hilarious and depressing at the same time.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
“According to the California Academy of Sciences, only 59% of U.S. adults know humans and (non-avian) dinosaurs did not coexist.[209] The last of the non-avian dinosaurs died 65.5 million years ago, after the Cretaceous?Paleogene extinction event, whereas the earliest Homo genus (humans) evolved between 2.3 and 2.4 million years ago. This places a 63 million year expanse of time between the last non-bird dinosaurs and the earliest humans.”

This is hilarious and depressing at the same time.[/quote]

I blame Hollywood, we have generations of people that cannot separate fiction from fact.

Adding cooking oil to pasta that is being boiled is widely believed to prevent the pasta from sticking. However, oil is an insoluble hydrophobic substance, such that it will float on the surface of the water. Therefore, the pasta (which sits on the bottom of the saucepan) has virtually no exposure to the oil during the cooking process. The oil may eventually come into contact with the pasta only after draining, although this is generally undesired, since it makes it much more difficult for any sauce to adhere to the pasta.[96] The primary reason to add oil is to avoid foaming and/or boiling over.[97]

Im goimng to save me some olive oil now.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I blame Hollywood, we have generations of people that cannot separate fiction from fact. [/quote]

I thought it was very funny but honestly it probably isnt just your country that think this.

My uncle who is religious says that we did coexist as it was part of the bible or something. It’s been a few years, but we were arguing one night about religion and somehow that came up, when he said we coexisted, I lost my mothafuckin mind LOL

This thread has the potential to blow up…so much to talk about…

It could be worse…they could think dinosaurs were animals that missed the ark and that people were created only 6000 years ago.

Also not accurate

They missed the biggest common misconception. That Wikipedia is not something great.

“Xmas” is not a secular plan to “take the Christ out of Christmas.” “The usual suggestion is that ‘Xmas’ is … an attempt by the ungodly to x-out Jesus and banish religion from the holiday.”[142] However, X stands for the Greek letter Chi, the starting letter of Χριστός, or “Christ” in Greek.[143] The use of the word “Xmas” can be traced to the year 1021 when “monks in Great Britain…used the X while transcribing classical manuscripts into Old English” in place of “Christ”.[142] The Oxford English Dictionary’s “first recorded use of ‘Xmas’ for ‘Christmas’ dates back to 1551.”[144] Paul Brians adds, “so few people know this that it is probably better not to use this popular abbreviation in religious contexts.”[145]

back in highschool there was a big stink about using ‘xmas’. Wish I’d seen this.

[quote]on edge wrote:
They missed the biggest common misconception. That Wikipedia is not something great.[/quote]

I agree.

I like how many people parrot the idea that wikipedia is unreliable. I would like to say to most of them, “Y’know what? It is for what you’re doing”…like if they’re researching X-Men or My Little Pony shit.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
They missed the biggest common misconception. That Wikipedia is not something great.[/quote]

I agree.

I like how many people parrot the idea that wikipedia is unreliable. I would like to say to most of them, “Y’know what? It is for what you’re doing”…like if they’re researching X-Men or My Little Pony shit.[/quote]
hahah!