Common Injuries and Trouble Spots

Thread title pretty much says it all. I’m wondering what kind of muscle injuries combat athletes deal with, and what some trouble spots (for you) are.

I’m going to be working with a Karate Team in a couple weeks doing sports massage for them and want to prepare myself for working with them. I’ll also be working with them on joint mobility and stretching/soft tissue work, so if you have any areas that bother you, let me know.

Thanks!

Ankles. Keep your ankles very, very healthy.

Well, I think alot of people who are involved in any striking art, especially boxing, tend to have problems with shoulders, elbows, and wrists. Just the constant wear and tear on them beats you up, and throwing so many punches definitely causes your arms to turn in, no matter how much back work you do.

Shoulders, Elbow, Neck, Top of foot, hip bone.

Top of foot, Elbow, and Hip Bone are prone to taking a lot of kicks and hits leaving them bruised repeatedly. Shoulder, neck, and elbow will suffer joint mobility.

Definitely my elbows and muscle surrounding the joint from boxing, get some strain the shoulders sometimes too.

Also hard to describe, but I get strain on the connective tissue between the thumb and the wrist.

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.

It’s definitely given me a good starting off point to my research.

hey how do we keep elbows and neck more mobile? I know for the shoulders keeping them mobile is a matter of stretching and some dynamic exercises…same thing with ankles, hips, etc. but for the neck all I can think of is half roations and trap/neck stretches? and elbow amybe some bicep and forearm stretching?|

Thanks.

hey how do we keep elbows and neck more mobile? I know for the shoulders keeping them mobile is a matter of stretching and some dynamic exercises…same thing with ankles, hips, etc. but for the neck all I can think of is half roations and trap/neck stretches? and elbow amybe some bicep and forearm stretching?|

Thanks.

Combat sports are combat. Injuries are all over the place. Personally, speaking in terms of muscular: shoulders, upper back, abs, hips, calfs strains.

Skeletal: ribs, elbow, shoulder, ankles, fingers and toes…jams, breaks, and dislocations…basically everything from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet are in danger.

My coaches once told me, “being a fighter isnt all about technique and conditioning, you have to be able to manage your injuries and learn how to prevent them”

A good way to prevent your nose from getting smashed every fight is the have the cartilage from your septum removed

Ras: you should take glucosamine and condriton. Its helped a lot in my joints. I’m curious why Biotest dosent make one. It comes from shellfish and is important to all athletes IMHO.

My main problem areas are my elbows and my glutes. Elbows from elbow torque during throws and getting armbarred. Glutes from bridging and forcefully extending my hips.