Commerical Interests

I am long time adherent to the training principles of Arthur Jones and Ellington Darden. Arthur cautioned against taking advice when commercial interests were involved. It is my personal opinion that Darden has become a shill for Biotest supplements. Years of his research which always resulted in similar training protocol conclusions were suddenly rendered invalid and replaced with new protocols, this all happening concurrently with the promotion of Plazma, Surge, etc. I happen to believe that Surge is a good product but here we have a new training protocol which flies in the face of years of his research and which will be maximized by usage of Surge is more than suspect. His board here has seen little activity the last several months

I will surprised if this gets posted

:popcorn:

1 Like

This looks like contempt prior to investigation.

Have you tried the new protocol/supplementation recommendation?

1 Like

I have tried the new training protocol and I use Surge. I like both, just puzzled by 50 yrs of research going down the toilet and being replaced with a protocol tied to promoting a product. Just sayin

1 Like

But have you tried the new training protocol and supplementation recommendation?

Like, together, as recommended?

2 Likes

Was it Dr Darden who said all his past work was irrelevant, and that you should disregard it?

Or is that an idea you came up with on your own?

1 Like

I mean, you did a “great” job of logging it

How much of this did you actually complete?

Holy moley. Tim & Ellington write him a custom program for free and he turns around a couple of months later calling Elington a shill, and Patterson a scammer by default.

Thats harsh.

4 Likes

While it is different from his past protocols it tends to follow the same style of “do the most efficient thing to drive hypertrophy then rest and repeat”. It’s one of the shortest time frame programs I have ever followed with the least number of sets prescribed. It worked tremendously and I think, and Dr. Darden can correct me if I am wrong here, is a great marriage of new science (Surge) and “old” ideas.

Frankly, I was skeptical of this protocol at first but it just works when you train, eat, and supplement as prescribed. It’s almost like it’s a fully thought out idea
odd thing to find these days.

The fact they are giving it away for free to Everyone is bonkers, considering what is being sold as “programs” by “influencers” these days.

2 Likes

Almost free. The only cost incurred was that the training had to be logged.

OP, however, appears to have only gotten to workout 7 before no longer upholding his end of the deal.

Forget logging it on line, I did so in my workout binder at home, I did 36 training days with the requisite body part blocks, and you?

Not to mention the $200+ of supplements and equipment given out, also free of charge.

1 Like

I mean the plan worked. When I go back to a building phase I will be buying more Surge and running this program again. I loved it.

1 Like

Are you aware how ‘deals’ work

Despite our 40 years difference in age, it appears I’m the one who understands the value of a handshake (albeit a digital one).

2 Likes

And they pay to host the site used to track the logs and allows us to rant about random crap.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem too rational to expect phenomenal results at the age of 70. I am riding that horse now.

I have done all I knew to do and only got weaker and weighing less year after year since I tuned 60.

I tried the Surge plus the protocol and responded fairly well for a while, until I got an infection in my lower leg and a subsequent blood clot. This last November my body weight has risen from about 198 to 205lbs (got slightly stronger) using the full Surge recommendation and my modification to the protocol. I picked one block each workout to pyramid to a 6 to 8 rep max and immediately (60 seconds later) go into the pump-stimulate-flutter. I wanted to add a strength aspect to the protocol.

Training philosophies are continually evolving, so I don’t mind when someone adds, subtracts, or completely alters their recommended best training method.

I am not a huge fan of Plazma, but I do very much like Surge.

I would have preferred the OP would have addressed his concerns a little less accusatory.

2 Likes

Well, good for you, here is a digital applause. Your point has absolutely nothing to do with my original post

The one where you accepted over $200 of free supplements and equipment, alongside a custom program and coaching by one of the biggest names in fitness history, then accused him of being a shill after accepting all of the above and not fulfilling your end of an agreement?

Yeah, you got me. I guess my comment was unrelated.

The audacity it takes to hold such a position is fucking astounding.

6 Likes

My opinion is that your opinion is dog shit.
insert angry boomer meme here

There back to your point.

Are you able to elaborate more on this point. How are you able to tell that the things he learnt through his research were not applied to the new protocols. All training modalities evolve over the time and many of the coaches on here comment on how their new work is different from the other work. It doesn’t mean the earlier stuff is no longer applicable and it also doesn’t mean the new stuff is not valid. I am struggling to see how you can determine that the old learning where rendered invalid or not used to help create what seemed like for many a very effective training program.

1 Like