T Nation

commercials

Where do they find people to do commercials? It’s not like they are all models or actors. They are from all all walks of life - young, old, good-looking, not good looking, black, white, asian, etc.

Casting agents and casting agencies. They handle all types, not just the stereotypical “model type”.

I’m questioning why more and more obese children are being used in commercials. I see some of these kids and can think nothing but "man! they are fat!"

Can you imagine accepting a role based on your ugliness? Like Mimi in the Drew Carey show. “We need a grossly fat girl who we will continue to mock throughout the series.” Yeah, you’ve gotta be pretty confident to accept that role.

One of my favorites was a pedophile in Law And Order. The guy had no lines and was only a temporary suspect. But it was very clear that he was a pedophile. What happened there? “We need a guy who just LOOKS like a pedophile.” Yeah, that would be a great role to get. ‘I stood there and looked like a pedophile.’ Put that on your resume.

They have to appeal to the every day joe, so they get every day joe’s. Just look at Beer commercials, you have every day joe’s with hot women. How many every day joe’s do you see with supermodels?

Neverthless, I find that commercials here continue to display, on average, more ‘beautiful’ people here than in, say, Europe.

Having spent some time over there, I noticed they tend to use -really- average looking people, and as Seinfeld pointed out, 90% of the population is undatable! :wink:

Not only beer commercials, but just about every other commercial has an average guy dating or married to a hot girl - the Volvo commercial with the pizza, the Jetta one with the window functions, the Hienz Ketchup one with the squeeze bottle, etc, etc.

The idea of commercials is to sell stuff. Even though there is a joke that women have all the pussy and half the money apparently Madison Ave. has a better idea of who’s writing the checks. They’re damn good at getting to their target audience and hot chicks do it for straight guys every time.

I got offered an audition for commercials when I was a kid. My family lived in Simi Valley at the time and we had gotten family and individual portraits done. Sometimes, at least then and there, people would look at proofs and send out requests to the people they would like to see. I turned it down because I’m basically shy. I guess if you were trying to get into the business I’d check with agents and such to see if there is a cattle call (group audition) going on in the area.

Is the casting/filming/agency over the country or just in Hollywood and NY?

New York, Dallas, and the LA areas are the biggest ones. Other places like Seattle and Denver also do some work.

Chicago also has a casting “community”. I would think big cities in general, with LA, NYC and possibly Chicago giving you the potential chance to be in something with wider exposure.

Chicago also has a casting “community”. I would think big cities in general, with LA, NYC and possibly Chicago giving you the potential chance to be in something with wider exposure.