Commercial Fisherman

Whats up T-Nation,
I want to start bulking up. I am a hard gainer, I’m really out of shape right now.
Here are my stats
17 years old
140 lbs
5’11

I havent taken any measurements, I have been working out off and on for the past 6 months. I smoke at least 5 cigarettes a day, and I’ve been eating Mc’donalds pretty regularly :(. I’ve read all of the beginner’s threads so please dont direct me to those, dont get me wrong those helped out alot. I want to start getting in shape for summer.

I goto alaska every summer and i’m a commercial fisherman for salmon. It is really hard work, and you have to be in really good shape. It involves alot of pulling for extended periods of time without sleep. (the nets full of fish). I guess I’ve kind of let myself go. I stay up all night without being tired, some nights i stay up until 5am. and when i finally lay down I cant sleep for sh**. I’ve been dealing with depression lately, and its pretty extreme if you know what i mean.

I was just in need of some advice. And i was wondering if anyone could hook me up with a workout plan and diet, supplements etc. When I wake up early, I feel like crap all day, When i do eat breakfast I feel like vomiting the whole day. Also when i wake up early in the morning and go out without eating, i get really bad gas. And my stomach burns sometimes. I went to the gym yesterday, and im really sore today.

any advice is appreciated

Sounds like you’re royally fucked up.

It doesn’t matter WHAT you do, anything is better than what you’re doing right now, buddy.

Start eating small meals throughout the day.

Start lifting, you’ll see improvements.

Stop smoking.

And you’re gonna be sore when you workout, it’s called DOMS, beginners get it bad. (Delayed onset Muscle Soreness).

I barely ever feel it anymore.

And the whole hard-gainer thing is bullshit. Some people have a harder time putting on mass when they’re not 100% dialed in. I know I get the same way sometime.

But when I pay my dues, when I eat right, I gain quickly enough.

Get to the gym, start eating.

Stop being a pussy and you’ll thank yourself for the rest of your life.

I don’t mean to sound like a dick, but this is stuff you’ve gotta hear man.

is this all the advice i can get out of this well known forum

brandon,

I think it was Chris Shugart who said that, when someone approaches him for advice in the gym, he first tells them to keep a complete and accurate food log for two weeks and ONLY THEN, when they bring it to him and prove they are serious, will he talk to them.

They never come back.

This well-known forum is attached to a world-class collection of articles on training and nutrition. We really do expect everyone–even self-proclaimed newbies with problems–to do some research, read up on what’s available, and try out a program or two–if for no other reason than to prove that they are serious.

Search for ABBH under Chad Waterbury as a training program. Search under articles for anything authored by John Berardi re: nutrition, and determine what you should be doing for physical well-being.

Follow the advice you find for 3-4 weeks and see if it helps. DON’T make changes based on what you would RATHER do; follow the programs/plans as outlined! THEN come back, tell us what you did, how it affected you, and refine the process by asking for advice on things that went wrong or what we think you should do next based on your results.

Give us something more to work with; show us that you are serious and can stick to a plan before we invest time in giving advice.

If you think that is somehow harsh, then we’ve all learned something.