T Nation

Comments Please


57kgs/ 125 pounds and 5’8 feet
can anyone frankly tell me if I am in shape its been really hard to put some weight on. I transformed from 49kgs to 57 in about 8 months or so.

things can get really hard if your a vegan so I got to really EAT and EAT and EAT and WORKOUT and SLEEP. tho I just wanted to know if I made progress.

can anyone tell me whats good and whats not good about it and what I need to work on?
thanks alot guys
apreciate any comments given

As far as your physique goes…from that picture it’s hard to say whether you made “any” progress, because

  1. we don’t have a before and after photo
  2. the picture is really blurry

I will say that if you went from 49kg to 57kg then you did make some progress. However, you still haven’t even scratched the tip of the iceberg yet. You are still very skinny and need to add lots more muscle to be considered to have made significant progress.

I’m also going to be honest with you and say that as long as you choose to be a vegan, it’s going to be extremely difficult to put on considerable mass. Sorry if that isn’t what you wanted to hear, but it’s the truth.

It’s hard enough for people who don’t restrict their diets from animal products to put on muscle. Without some sort of quality protein source coming from your food (such as eggs, meat, fish, even dairy) you’re going to have to spend a fortune on supplements (and I’m not sure that vegans can even consume whey!).

Yeah, honestly I’d say that you’re realistically going to have to choose between being a vegan and building muscle, it’s going to be extremely difficult (if even possible) to do both.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy

You may not be big but you must be very quick - blurring across the pic like that takes a lot of speed.

You are too skinny, your pants are falling down.

No I can’t tell the difference in your weight gain cause you only posted ONE picture.

Gaining weight is tough no matter how you eat. You just have to keep eating. Stop using the vegan excuse or start eating meat and find out you still have trouble gaining weight. Eat and rest and work out. If you gained 8kg in 8 months that is a start. Continue.

You don’t look like much now, but keep at it. Rome wasn’t built in a day, neither was Ronnie Coleman. Be patient, be consistent, and be patient. Four or five years from now you’ll wonder how you were only 125lb.

You do realize with no before picture, no one can honestly say you’ve made progress.

Also that picture is blurry as hell.

  • Take a proper front shot, side shot, and back shot, you may need some leg shots for those more critical.

You’ve got a loooooong road ahead of you, and it’s going to be bumpy. So long as you know it and are OK with it, you’ll progress, albeit with greater effort than the meat eaters.

Mike Mahler is a vegan and has a great physique. Check out his website:

http://www.mikemahler.com/

At 5’8" 125 pounds we really don’t need to see your pics yet.

Keep training and post after you have gained more muscle.

There are a number of threads here for vegetarian bodybuilders. It makes it harder to grow but it is possible.

Good luck.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
At 5’8" 125 pounds we really don’t need to see your pics yet.

Keep training and post after you have gained more muscle.

There are a number of threads here for vegetarian bodybuilders. It makes it harder to grow but it is possible.

Good luck.[/quote]

He said vegan not vegetarian. Being vegan is far more restrictive than simply not eating meat. Afterall, Bill Pearl was vegetarian and it hardly hurt him!

Isn’t Toby Maguire (Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3) veganian? He may not be the biggest, but he did indeed add some size through perfect diet and coaching in the six months up to the first Spider-Man.

So, i’m 125 too, that’s awesome, except for the fact i’m only about 5’3, but don’t worry, my moustache adds some weight.

But, if you really wanna put on some muscle, then like it’s already been said, you’re going to need meat in your diet. Trust me, it’s worth it, the taste, the calories, and how barbaric it is just to bite into a juicy piece of steak, nothin like it, except if you’re doing it at 250 lbs with 7% bf, then it only makes it all the more sweeter.

Anyway, good luck, especially if you still wish to take the vegan route

Not to be rude, but why is it exactly you choose not to eat meat? We’re just animals like all the other animals (lions, leopards, T-rex etc).

well guys atleast thanks for thew true comment cuz wenever i ask friends, jzt to encourage me they keep bluffin. atleast i kno where i stand now. thanks anyways.

and actually about being a vegan is because i am orignally from india, gujrat n its like in my culture and religion about not eating meat so no one in my whole family or relatives eat any meat at all.

i ve never had or even touched a piece of meat in my whole entire life.cuz i was jzt born n brot up dat way. but since i started working out i feel sad about it sumtimes but im not planin to giv in atleast as long as i am living wid my parents.

but as an alternative i eat as much as i can (as in vegeterian food) n besides dat i usaully consume atleast 2 buckets of ‘nlarge II’ a month, and i take a normal multivitamin and etc etc.
working my way out anyways guys gud luk hav fun training

I don’t know what nLarge is, but how is your stand on milk and whey-supplement? That would indeed be a very effective source of proteins, and if bought organic (ecological) the cows doesn’t suffer at all. :slight_smile:

well i can have all kinds of milk and dairy products except for eggs. and nlargeII is a whey protein supplement. I was just brought up as a vegan its not like i chose to become one so thats why i dont have any egg or meat, its not because of the animals suffering tho i do feel sorry for them but that doesnt effect what i eat.

With a good source of protein then it will indeed all become easier. :slight_smile:

Just keep training hard with alot of rows, deadlifts, squats, dips, presses, chins etc., hitting every muscle 2-3 times a week (including the legs, as many guys forget) and then you will indeed have grown alot next year, if you just keep eating alot! Alot! :slight_smile:

Squats and milk, then, definitely. You should be able to gain more than just a kilo a month. Best of luck!

I hope this post is a joke.

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
With a good source of protein then it will indeed all become easier. :slight_smile:

Just keep training hard with alot of rows, deadlifts, squats, dips, presses, chins etc., hitting every muscle 2-3 times a week (including the legs, as many guys forget) and then you will indeed have grown alot next year, if you just keep eating alot! Alot! :)[/quote]

You do understand “alot” is not a word.

[quote]dhav wrote:
well i can have all kinds of milk and dairy products except for eggs. and nlargeII is a whey protein supplement. I was just brought up as a vegan its not like i chose to become one so thats why i dont have any egg or meat, its not because of the animals suffering tho i do feel sorry for them but that doesnt effect what i eat.[/quote]

Well, thats good news. Also, judging from that I’d have to say that your definition of being a vegan is different from the vegans I’ve known.

The definition of vegan that I’m familiar with doesn’t allow you to consume any substance coming from, or involving the use of any part of, any animal. That means no dairy, no table sugar, obviously no meat, etc…

If you can consume milk and whey protein then you should be okay. It’ll still be more harder than if you could eat meat (as there are lot of calories and essential vitamins in meat), but it’s definitely better than not being able to consume any animal products.

Just make sure that you are eating every 2-3 hours and are taking in a surplus of calories.

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]naughtybox wrote:
Misterhamper wrote:
With a good source of protein then it will indeed all become easier. :slight_smile:

Just keep training hard with alot of rows, deadlifts, squats, dips, presses, chins etc., hitting every muscle 2-3 times a week (including the legs, as many guys forget) and then you will indeed have grown alot next year, if you just keep eating alot! Alot! :slight_smile:

You do understand “alot” is not a word.[/quote]

English isn’t my native language, so no, I don’t understand that :stuck_out_tongue:

A good place for you:

http://www.veganfitness.net/