T Nation

Comments on My Modified V-Diet?

A little Background: I’m 6’1, 171 pounds. I’ve got a big gut, flabby chest, and little muscle. This is a result of me losing 40 pounds several months ago. I’m looking to shed the rest of my fat off quickly so I can go on a proper bulk.

Problem: So I’ve started the V-diet, oh, about 5 hours ago and I’ve already hit a road bump being the milled flax seed. I’ve guzzled down 2 protein shakes and I can’t stand the taste. The flax seed has me gagging down the shakes. So I made some modifications and would like a second opinion on it. My V-diet is also modified to include 1 solid meal per day and a special type of Vanilla yogurt:

NON-TRAINING DAYS:

3 Metabolic Drive Shakes (2 scoops Each)- 660 calories, 120g Protein, 16g Carbs, 3g fiber.

4 Servings of Fiber Choice Tablets- 56 Calories, 0g Protein, 28g carbs, 16g fiber.

7 oz. of Skirt Steak- 400~ calories, 55g~ protein, 0g Carbs, 0g Fiber.

2 Vanilla Yogurts- 220 Calories, 30g protein, 24g Carbs, 0g Fiber.

1 Serving of Flameout- 52 calories, 1.2g protein, 0g Carbs, 0g Fiber.

Total: 1388 calories Calories, 206.2g protein, 19g fiber, 68g Carbs.

TRAINING DAYS:

3 Metabolic Drive Shakes (2 scoops Each)- 660 calories, 120g Protein, 16g Carbs, 3g fiber.

4 Servings of Fiber Choice Tablets- 56 Calories, 0g Protein, 28g carbs, 16g fiber.

7 oz. of Skirt Steak- 400~ calories, 55g~ protein, 0g Carbs, 0g Fiber.

1 Serving of Surge- 340 calories, 31g protein, 53g Carbs, 0g carbs.

1 Serving of Flameout- 52 calories, 1.2g protein, 0g Carbs, 0g Fiber.

Total: 1508 Calories, 207.2g protein, 19g Fiber, 97g Carbs.

Bump

Just by looking at the Fiber Choice tabs and the yogurt, they both have tons of sugar in them. The fiber choice tabs I have are 100% fiber so the ones you have contain sugar. Also that yogurt has 24 grams of sugar in it. Not exactly how the diet is supposed to be. It is supposed to only have carbs coming from fiber (essentially). I don’t think you will reap the full benefits.

Man up and do the diet how it is supposed to be done.

I don’t like the taste of flax either. I didn’t gag so I got thru the 28days.

I would get some chia seeds. They have a very similar fatty acid profile as flax and I think they are tasteless. They don’t need to be milled either.

I got my here: http://chiaseedsandoil.com/

You can gut thru til they come in or start over when they do. I would follow the diet without the one meal a day option. This is what I did and a month later I haven’t cheated. I have had a few beers during the super bowl but food wise I haven’t.

I ordered some and I use them on a regular basis in my shakes instead of flax.

hope this helps.
bill

serving size 4tsp
134cal
8.2g fat
5.8 polyunsat
.5 mono
.7 sat
11g carbs
6.9 fiber
4.3 pro

very similar to flax and like I said pretty much tasteless.

6’1 and 170 sounds pretty skinny for any cutting, especially cutting as hardcore as the V-diet.

The v-diet is made and works well on its own.

Don’t screw with it, it often doesn’t work as well when you screw with it.

Without pictures I would think a nice clean bulk might do you more good, but I’m kinda in the dark, still.

tykraus, you’re right about the yogurt. Each yogurt has 11g of sugar in it. But the fiber choice tablets are sugar free. I guess I can replace the 2 yogurts with a 2 scoop shape, but from what I understand as long as my carbs are below 100g there shouldn’t be a problem.

And thanks for the advice Bill, I’m gonna looking into the Chia seeds.

Ghost, the best I can do is describe my body to you since I don’t have a camera. The problem is I’ve got a fat gut and flabby chest while I’m skinny everywhere else. I’ve gone on a strict bulk before, but the fat came on way too fast on my stomach. I want to cut down the remaining fat I have left so this won’t be such a big problem.

i agree, you don’t need the V-Diet, in fact you’ll probably come out looking worse.

you primary focus should be muscle gain, and the body comp will take care of itself, assuming you’re eating “clean”.

I’d suggest following Berardi’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutrition for a few months.

just a suggestion, but what do I know :wink:

i’m not suggesting a bulk diet either, just slow and steady muscle gain and you’ll improve overall body comp.

you gain a lot in the stomach probably because you were consuming too many calories, and probably some not so good foods, right?

I was on a clean bulk with 500 calories above maintenance and a full-body workout 3 days a week. The muscle came, but slower than the fat did.

I want to do a V-Diet cycle in order to shed as much fat as quickly as I can before I try another bulk. I know trainers on T-Nation don’t recommend bulking if you’re not close to or lower than 10% BF, and I’m at around double that.

Cut the youghurt. One thing i did was remplace 1 shake with cottage cheese and walnuts. But you need to weight the cottage so you know exactly the calories and macros.

Maybe the flax you bought have something added to them, cause when i were on the V-Diet the damn shakes tasted so good!.

Don’t waste your money with a quasi V-Diet.

I’m keeping within my calorie ranges for both training and non-training days, getting sufficient protein, sufficient fiber, and keeping my carbs at a minimum. I know it seems like I’m getting defensive, but I’m just trying to figure WHY I should take out these modifications and what the actual problems with my diet are. I’m all for constructive criticism, but things like “Don’t screw with the V-Diet” without any explanation as to why what I’m doing is wrong isn’t convincing.

odd, I find that my shakes taste better with the milled flax seeds then without.

You could perhaps try a different brand.

[quote]BeetleBlue wrote:
I’m keeping within my calorie ranges for both training and non-training days, getting sufficient protein, sufficient fiber, and keeping my carbs at a minimum. I know it seems like I’m getting defensive, but I’m just trying to figure WHY I should take out these modifications and what the actual problems with my diet are. I’m all for constructive criticism, but things like “Don’t screw with the V-Diet” without any explanation as to why what I’m doing is wrong isn’t convincing. [/quote]

the vanailla yogurt is loaded with sugar which will mess with insulin levels, and essentially cause your body to store fat rather than burn it.

Right, thanks for that. Gonna cut out the yogurt and replace it with a 4th shake.

6’1 170 lbs and doing the V-Diet???

Why not just take up anorexia, it’s cheaper!

Why call it the V-Diet? Either do the V-Diet (and you shouldn’t you skinny bastard) or just post your nutrition plan and call it your nutrition plan.

Don’t call it the V-Diet.

If you think you have some fat to lose, eat good food, take your supps, lift some heavy weight.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Either do the V-Diet (and you shouldn’t you skinny bastard)

[/quote]

lmao, nice… sometimes the truth hurts

that’s how many that have said the v-diet isn’t for you?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Why call it the V-Diet? Either do the V-Diet (and you shouldn’t you skinny bastard) or just post your nutrition plan and call it your nutrition plan.

If you think you have some fat to lose, eat good food, take your supps, lift some heavy weight.

[/quote]

Smart girls are sexy.

[quote]Rykker wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Smart girls are sexy.[/quote]

you should see me in glasses

As far as it being the V-Diet, Chris Shugart suggested that a person could add the 1 meal a day option as long as it fits within the calorie/carbs/protein ranges. Had he not I wouldn’t have tried this diet to begin with. Yogurts are getting cut out and fiber is being made up for, so with that in mind what makes it so non V-diety?

As for you all saying I shouldn’t be on the V-diet, I’ll take your opinions into account. I’ll continue to follow this diet, but I’ll do a serious evaluation at the end of the first week and take it from there. As long as I’m not losing muscle while losing the little (and I use this word lightly) fat I have left, what’s the problem? Not to mention this is only for a month (6 weeks counting the transition phase).

A past unsuccessful bulk diet coupled with being a former fatty for most of my life, I’m reluctant to go on a bulk. I have no interest in gaining anymore fat than I already have. All my fat is concentrated on my stomach and chest and I’m desperate to get rid of it.