Comments on Mass Building Workout

Hey, I’m new to T-Nation, and fairly new to weight-lifting. Anyway, I need to put on mass, and I’ve used what I’ve read here to design a program. What do you guys think?

Day 1:

A - Squat 10x3

B1 - Pullups 4x6
B2 - Dips 4x6

C1 - DB Incline Bench Press 4x6
C2 - DB Hammer Curls 4x6

Day 4:

A - Bench Press 10x3

B1 - Leg Press 4x6
B2 - Calf Raise 4x6

C1 - BB Bent Over Rows 4x6
C2 - DB Tate Presses 4x6

Day 6:

A - Deadlift 10x3

B1 - BB Standing Military Press 4x6
B2 - BB Reverse Curls 4x6

C1 - Chinups 4x6
C2 - Skull-Crushers 4x6

So basically it’s along the lines of Waterbury Method, using primarily the big exercises.

The progression here would be to add a rep to each set each week for 3 weeks.

worth a try.

[quote]Bloodandiron wrote:
Hey, I’m new to T-Nation, and fairly new to weight-lifting. Anyway, I need to put on mass, and I’ve used what I’ve read here to design a program. What do you guys think?

Day 1:

A - Squat 10x3

B1 - Pullups 4x6
B2 - Dips 4x6

C2 - DB Hammer Curls 4x6

Day 4:

A - Bench Press 10x3

B1 - Leg Press 4x6
B2 - Calf Raise 4x6

C2 - DB Tate Presses 4x6

Day 6:

A - Deadlift 10x3

C1 - Chinups 4x6
C2 - Skull-Crushers 4x6

So basically it’s along the lines of Waterbury Method, using primarily the big exercises.

The progression here would be to add a rep to each set each week for 3 weeks.[/quote]

For a newbie, not bad.
IMO, the only thing I would do different is Lunges instead of leg press on day #4.That way you get some single leg work in so do dont develope any slight leg imbalances. Also, all BB upper body movements I would exchange for DB movements. That way all your arm work is single and you cant develope any slight arm imbalances( pulling/pushing & flexing harder with one more than the other ).

Day 1:

A - Squat 10x3

B1 - Pullups 4x6
B2 - Dips 4x6

C2 - DB Hammer Curls 4x6

Day 4:

A - Bench Press 10x3

B1 - Leg Press 4x6
B2 - Calf Raise 4x6

C2 - DB Tate Presses 4x6

Day 6:

A - Deadlift 10x3

C1 - Chinups 4x6
C2 - Skull-Crushers 4x6

I think it’s a little unbalanced, look at it again and make sure all muscles are worked as they should be with the correct frequency (you have your quads and hams working on all three sessions). However, if a muscle recovers really slow that’s different story.

-Just make sure you take note of rest intervals I’m pretty sure in most of Waterbury’s routines they’re very specific.

-And the leg press sucks, look up some articles concerning the leg press on this site. You’re better of doing front squats, barbell lunges, split squats, deadlifts, etc.

Dont forget to EAT. You can put on mass without it.

Looks kinda like CW’s WM.

But different. Looks good

I like it.Just the sort of programme I would design for myself,except can’t do the non-competing supers due to small gym and lots of people.

You do need to eat a lot too.This is as important if not more so than the training.How much are you eating?I try to eat clean and actually find it difficult to eat more than about 2500 kcals per day.

One other poster said it might be good to replace Leg Press with Lunges.You could try Single Leg Press,more weight =more muscle maybe?

Make sure you’re using reasonable form in your big exercises,especially toward the end of the 10x3,injuries are a bitch.

Day 1:

A - Squat 10x3

B1 - Pullups 4x6
B2 - Dips 4x6

C2 - DB Hammer Curls 4x6

Day 4:

A - Bench Press 10x3

B1 - Leg Press 4x6
B2 - Calf Raise 4x6

C2 - DB Tate Presses 4x6

Day 6:

A - Deadlift 10x3

C1 - Chinups 4x6
C2 - Skull-Crushers 4x6

The progression here would be to add a rep to each set each week for 3 weeks.[/quote]

Hey I like the programme. My suggestion is to do incline DB hammer Curls. I think there’s a better return in relation to arm growth than Standing Hammer curls. And I would throw out the Leg press and do barbell or Dumbbell Bulgarian Split squats or even barbell Good Mornings…Happy Growing…

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah, it does look a lot like Waterbury Method. Since everyone likes Waterbury so much around here, I thought I’d use his favorite protocols. The exercise selection is mostly taken from Ian King’s mass makers article.

Except for the hated leg press of course.

Anyway, this is an awesome site, but it has SO much information that I keep switching my program every two days to try out all the cool things I’m learning.

Since people seem to think this is a pretty good program for a newb looking to gain mass, I think I’ll take a few weeks off reading about working out, and stick it out.

To paraphrase Bismarck, the great questions of my physique will not be settled by means of posts and majority decisions, but by blood and iron.

And eating, of course. Lots of eating.

Looks quite good to me, especially for a beginner, at least you sought out info. to construct it.

As a beginner you will pretty much grow doing anything, as long as you do the big lifts and push for more weight and eat lots.

Off top of my head I would say each week you could probably add 2 reps to the exercises, instead of just one. But then, see how you go, go for adding 2 if you can.

Also for the category A exercises (squat, deadlift, was the other one bench?) instead of adding reps add weight, if you are starting out your capacity to add weight is just crazy bananas in the beginning. And it is great you are doing these big lifts, they are the most important.

I am not sure if that contradicts Waterbury … but I don’t think anyone would disagree with pushing for more weight (rather than more reps) for those exercises.

Also I note you have some hammer curls and reverse curls in there, any specific reason to pick those in particular?

Note your hammer curls come after incline press, are you planning to do the hammer curls on the incline bench? That can be a good way to do them, really hits them.

Otherwise good luck, I am jealous you lucky fellow, who amongst us wouldn’t give it all to be back at the start, but this time, with some decent knowledge + supplements + money for food.

Once again, thanks for the feedback guys. I’m going to start this wednesday.

As per your recommendations, I’ve decided to change the leg presses to front squats, and do the regular squats with a wider stance so they’re sufficiently different. I’ll also do the hammer curls on the incline, and ramp up the weight on the big lifts as often as I can in the early going.

I’m planning to use 90 second rest intervals for the 10x3, and 60 seconds between super sets. That should let me finish in under 45 minutes.

Oh yeah, and I’ll be sure to eat like a pig. A clean pig, of course. A proteinated porker.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Otherwise good luck, I am jealous you lucky fellow, who amongst us wouldn’t give it all to be back at the start, but this time, with some decent knowledge + supplements + money for food.

[/quote]

Thanks for the good advice Magarhe. Try not to get too jealous of my 135 pound bench/squat/deadlift.

Magarhe wrote:

Thanks for the good advice Magarhe. Try not to get too jealous of my 135 pound bench/squat/deadlift.[/quote]

I don’t care about totals, I care about GAINS, the increases being made, and you should be able to make some hefty increases so good luck!