T Nation

Comments on Diet

I’m really going to try and start getting my diet in order because i’m stuck in terms of size and strength right now. So here goes.

Monday
Meal 1
1 steak
2 eggs
1 cup milk
apple

Meal 2
turkey sandwich
protein shake
1 banana
fish oils

Meal 3
2 pieces fish
potatoes
apple
banana

Meal 4
pasta

Meal 5
cheat meal

Meal 6
1 piece chicken
1 cup milk
bread
cookies

Tuesday
Meal 1
2 pieces fish
1 cup milk
peanuts
1 banana

Meal 2
roast beef sandwich
protein shake
apple
flax oil

Meal 3
pre-workout shake
300 cal
26 g protein
45 g carbs

Meal 4
post workout shake
300 cal
26 g protein
45 g carbs

Meal 5
pasta

Meal 6
cheat meal

Meal 7
1 steak
milk
peanuts
cookies

Wednesday
Meal 1
steak
eggs
milk
apple

Meal 2
fish
protein shake
banana
olive oil

Meal 3
pre-workout shake

Meal 4
post workout shake

Meal 5
pasta

Meal 6
cheat meal

meal 7
fish
milk
bread
cookies

Thursday
meal 1
steak
milk
apple
banana

Meal 2
fish
protein shake
apple
flax oil

Meal 3
chicken
potatoes
apple
banana

Meal 4
pasta

Meal 5
cheat meal

Meal 6
turkey
milk
peanuts
cookies

Friday
meal 1
fish
eggs
milk
apple

Meal 2
steak
protein shake
banana
olive oil

Meal 3
roast beef sandwich
bread
apple
banana

Meal 4
pasta

meal 5
cheat meal

Meal 6
chicken
milk
bread
cookies

My sunday meal plan will look similar to tuesday and wednesay because i also workout on sunday. And i also have one cheat meal everyday to help keep up my motivation and i have VERY VERY VERY high metabolism so its definately not going to hurt me as long as i get enough calories, and the reason i eat pasta everyday is i still have a meal plan at my university and i eat in the dining hall at that time everyday. So i figure i’ll get some good carbs from pasta without having to make it. I’m not sure what i’ll do with saturday yet because i normally work, but i’m hoping this will provide around 3500 and 4000 calories. I only weigh 148 lbs so i’m hoping that is enough, but anybody with comments please bring them on.

The first thing I see is that you may want to add more carbs at breakfast, oatmeal would be a simple solution. Most people around here seem to agree that whether you are trying to gain or lose you need some carbs first thing in the morning. I am sure some people with more knowledge will chime in with some extra tips. Good luck.

You don’t give any specific amounts of what you will be eating so it’s hard to comment but here goes:

I think it’s a great idea to use the massive eating food combining ideas when bulking (avoid large amount of fats and carbs in the same meal). A couple of your meals don’t do this.

I wouldn’t recommend drinking as much milk as you do, especially with meals that contain lots of fats. Milk has been shown to produce a high insulin response so I would only ever use it PWO.

Make sure that these meals are fairly evenly spaced. Also make sure that on training days you take in lots of your calories in the timeframe starting from immediately after training to about 3 hours afterward, i.e. PWO. On non-training days I find that it helps to try to frontload your calories so that your biggest meals come earliest in the day.

Try to include more variety in your meals, especially in terms of fruit and veg - eat lots more veg too. They have lots of great antioxidant benefits and contain the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function and to grow. They also help to lower your PRAL score.

Look at the nutrient timing articles by John Berardi - like the previous post said, when bulking carbs are essential at breakfast and the majority of your carbs should be eaten at breakfast and PWO. You don’t want to be consuming lots of carbs before bed unless it is still in the post workout window.

What are the COOKIES that you are eating in your last meal? I’d be surprised if these were a good food choice - make sure that you consume a slow digesting protein before bed such as cottage cheese.

You don’t mention what fish it is that you will be eating but I recommend that you opt for salmon more often than not - it contains larger amounts of EPA and DHA polyunsaturated omega 3 fats than other kinds of fish.

Try to include a lean source of protein in every meal that you eat - eating just pasta on its own isnt great - add some chicken or egg whites etc…

Make sure that you read and try to follow all of John Berardi’s 7 Habits of the Successful Nutrition Plan - the article contains all of the basics that you should be doing with regards to your diet,

Hope some of this is useful to you
Good luck