Comment on Calorie Counted Cut Diet - Will Metabolism Slow Down?

I am at the 4th day of the diet

I calculate every bit of calorie and protein (by getting weight of each food I consume)

I consume cheese, chicken tigh, chicken hearth, chicken liver, tomato, tea sugar, coffee, zero coke, whey protein, milk

I continue to do full body workout 3 days a week and almost every day slow pace treadmill walking up to 100 minutes

I am 35 years old male, 178 cm and 94 kg, fat ratio is 17% according to omron which I think close to accurate based on slightly visible abs

I am also on TRT (125 mg sustanon every 5 days)

Protein are in grams and calories are kilo calories

93.8 KG - Day 0 : 181 protein, 1614 calories
Day 1 : 185 protein, 1840 calories
Day 2 : 180 protein, 1725 calories
Day 3 : 180 protein, 1715 calories
91.4 KG - Day 4 : 200+ protein, 2330+ calories (I went to my mother’s home for dinner therefore not exact numbers)
Day 5 : 217 protein, 1824 calories
90.7 KG - Day 6 : 182 protein 1950 calories
Day 7 : 180 protein - 1729 calories
90.2 KG - Day 8 ongoing

I think you’re starting pretty aggressively for day 1 of your diet, especially if you’re lean enough you can see your abs (although that does seem to mean different things to different people).

To your question, though, the metabolic death thing is greatly over-exaggerated. What is more likely is people are saddened by a handful of things (it’s happened to us all):

• We have less muscle than we wanted to believe
  • We actually have to go pretty low calorie/ get pretty hungry to lose weight
  • The stuff we like to eat is high calorie and low nutrition
  • We don’t understand the basic physics that, at a lower weight, we will need fewer calories - to keep dropping pounds we have to drop calories; that doesn’t mean our metabolism quit, it means we’ve been successful

Anyway, to that last point, I do think you probably started a little hard. I have to get to the calories you’re at as a diet progresses, but you’re early. I wouldn’t have started week one any lower than 2050 for you, and probably more like 2200. It’s not too late to reverse course if you’d like.

I also think your cardio burden is really high, unless you just like being on the treadmill that long. That’s going to be very difficult to sustain, let alone increase.

If you want any advice, let us know. I’m pretty comfortable with the calorie-counting world, but @jskrabac is in a league of his own. @T3hPwnisher is very good at explaining quality habits and avoiding calorie-tracking… although I contend he still achieves the same objective through consistent meals.

Let us know and good luck!

1 Like

Ty so much for reply. So you think there is no thing as permanent metabolism slowing?

Yes I am doing aggressively until my wife returns from hers mother’s home :slight_smile:

Probably I can continue maximum like 10 days more

Really hard to do any diet when you are married

1 Like

I don’t know that I’d say no such thing, but I think very few of us have the fortitude to do it to ourselves.
I definitely don’t think you can do a ton of damage in 14 days; eat 1000 calories a day if you want for that time period. There’s something called a “Protein Sparing Modified Fast” that may fit your bill. The Velocity Diet on this site has good reviews and, I think, follows that concept. It’s probably too late for you to try it this time around, but maybe a useful run next time you give a go at this.
Dieting definitely gets harder the more “life” we layer into it. I haven’t tried the hard crash while I’m on my own, but there’s logic in what you’re doing!

1 Like

Exactly. I don’t need to weigh or count: I have an easy to work with framework that can adapt simply enough. Just add food to meals/add meals when gaining, take food away/have fewer meals when losing. Keep the foundation the same.

3 Likes

There was this starvation experiment done after WW2 to understand more about hunger in times of war. It basically came to a conclusion that metabolism can slow down by 15-20% when human is starving but when returning to normal eating, it returns to normal. Also keep in mind that these slow downs of metabolism occur when people dont eat for months not when average americans are a bit less gluttonous pigs than usual. The last one is not about you, its about how i find it funny when people who are basically fat, start a diet and then compare themselves to actual starvation that occured in Auchwitz or is now in Africa.

2 Likes

As you eat less calories your body will try to move less so you burn fewer calories.

As you loose weight, your body mass goes down. If you have less mass, you burn fewer calories.

Your body isn’t a math equation, where 1999 calories makes you loose weight, 2001 calories makes you gain weight and 2000 makes you maintain. There is more like a range of maintenance, where you might not gain or loose much despite 2-300 calorie swings. When you reduce calories to loose weight, you’re kind of self adjusting to the bottom of this range.

So after you’ve dieted for awhile, you’re definitely burning fewer calories. It’s not exactly “slowed metabolism,” like a hibernating bear or something. You’re just in a state where you’re burning fewer calories because there is less of you.

And if you jump back to your old “maintenance” calories, from when you were bigger, it’s now a “surplus.” So you get fat gain, instead of maintaining like you used to. This can make it seem like you metabolism is “damaged” or “slowed down.”

All of that us whatever.

The important part is that when you’re done cutting, you’re going to burning fewer calories than before. And when you switch to “maintenance” for your new body weight it will represent an increase in calories. But fewer calories than you were eating before the cut.

So you’re in a magical phase where you can gain muscle, without getting fat. Maybe still even getting leaner.

Remember, cutting is not just cutting fat now! It’s also setting yourself up for some future muscular lean-gains too.

2 Likes

IMO, the most important metric is to monitor your strength. This is bodybuilding and not “fat losing.” You want to minimize any strength loss, especially on compound exercises.

3 Likes

Ye I will keep an eye on that

I track every workout literally with how much KG and how many reps

Thanks everyone for answers

Day 3 completed as well

Day 0 : 181 protein, 1614 calories - 93.8 KG
Day 1 : 185 protein, 1840 calories
Day 2 : 180 protein, 1725 calories
Day 3 : 180 protein, 1715 calories
Day 4 : ongoing - 91.4 KG

in 2 days weight decrease total 1.6 kg and in 4 days total 2.8 kg (93.8 KG to 91.4 KG)

Of course I cant lose this fast, in the early days we probably lose water and what we have in the intestine

I hope I can keep up at least total 14 days

At your height and weight, if you are really 17% fat or around this value, your FFMI is over 24, which shows that according to statistics and science you have approached your genetic potential in natural training. And you should look more than good, not to mention great, since the abdominal muscles are already visible.

1 Like

Here my picture today morning gold - barely visible under good lightning

I think i still have way to improve - not reached potential considering i am on TRT

But I have to say that I don’t have good genetics for bodybuilding

2 Likes

And here 1 from side. By the way these are all cold morning images

I am also not professional at pictureing or posing :slight_smile:

I dont do max reps but i do 12+ reps for

bench press 90 kg
squat 90 kg
deadlift 90 kg
leg press 160 kg
Standing Barbell Military Press : 50 kg

1 Like

Well done, you look good.
I meant that according to the calculator of this height and this weight and this percentage of subcutaneous fat, your FFMI is over 24. About 25 is generally the maximum that can be achieved naturally. At least that’s what scientists say. I’m not saying you’re natural right now. I tried to imagine for most people what the ratio would be. Of course, there are people who naturally have a very low percentage of subcutaneous fat, but their personal weight at this height is much lower.
Keep going, I wish you success :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TY so much for comments. I have almost never been skinny or low weight at my life. I even reached 107 kg once. I am at best shape of my life Alhamdulillah currently

I am a software engineer therefore have very sedentary life :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am exactly as tall as you / when I was 180 cm young, I don’t know how I became shorter over the years /, but I am 49 years old, I weigh 105 kg. and I’m about 32-33% fat. At least that’s what the machine that used to measure my fat showed. I was also 117 kg. Interestingly, according to the machine, I have more muscle mass than the average level, which is good. The accumulation of fat is around my chest and abdomen, my legs and arms do not visually correspond to this% body fat. If you see me naked in the back, you will never think that my fat percentage is so high. Even I think that the machine is wrong :slight_smile: So when I think about how much I need to lose weight to get a grater look, I just feel sick. But I have nowhere to go and I have to get really serious about it. At least I’m reassured that I look good with clothes :slight_smile:
Like you, I’ve been sitting at a desk … for 22 years.

1 Like

Yes these Machines are not very dependable certainly. But it is decent to track your overall progress

I had much higher body fat with almost same weight in the past

The short answer is (a) there is metabolic slowdown, and; (b) it happens quicker than most folks think. I will need to try and dig out the study I read recently where some overweight and obese women experienced adaptation in a short period. In fact, at one stage some subjects where burning almost 700 kcals less a day.

How quickly it happens you think? I am at the 8th day right now

Literally a week for changes. I know @Christian_Thibaudeau suggests you shouldn’t deficit diet for longer than 12 weeks without a break. Personally speaking I’ve done couple of big cuts and always find it’s useful to introduce a diet break when weight loss stalls before dropping further calories

2 Likes