Comment/Critique My Plan

Hey

I’ve been dabbling in weights for the past year or so. I have now decided that this is something I want to pursue seriously. I have done a load of research online and come up with a routine/diet plan which I think is tailored to my goals but I would like some input to be sure that I am heading off in the right direction.

I worked a physically demanding job for the past three months, didn’t really take care of myself and thus lost a substantial amount of weight although I am naturally skinny anyway. I now stand at 6’2" and 165lbs which is the lightest I have ever been.

However, I am now living back home, studying and working part-time and therefore have a lot of time and resources to devote to this pursuit. My goal in terms of size is to hit 180lbs in 6 months time.

This is what I am currently pushing:
SQUAT = 110lbs 5x5
DEAD = 90lbs 5x5
BENCH = 110lbs 5x5

Here are my long-term goals in terms of strength:
SQUAT = 240lbs 5x5
DEAD = 330lbs 5x5
BENCH = 165lbs 5x5

I guess my first question would be are these realistic size/strength goals to be shooting for? I’m a little uneducated in this regard.

After some research online I found most suggestions in terms of a routine to be focused on the big compound movements which I agree with wholeheartedly and enjoy doing. My workout plan has a day for each of the ‘big three’.

MONDAY ‘SQUAT DAY’
SQUAT 5X5
BENT ROW 5X5
LUNGE 3X6
PULL UP 3X6

TUESDAY ‘BENCH DAY’
FLAT BENCH 5X5
MILITARY PRESS 5X5
INCLINE BENCH 3X6
DIP 3X6

WEDNESDAY ‘DEAD DAY’
SUMO DEADLIFT 5X5
GOOD MORNING 5X5
SHRUG 3X6
PREACHER CURL 3X6

THURSDAY OFF

FRIDAY REPEAT MON/WED (ALTERNATE WEEKLY)

SATURDAY REPEAT TUES

SUNDAY OFF

Next question is does my routine look solid enough for my goals? I have been following it for the past couple weeks since I joined the gym back home and have been struggling to walk home/drag my sore ass out of bed in the morning - good sign?

I suppose my diet is the final and most important piece of the puzzle. I worked out my daily calorie intake for lean mass gain to be 3225 from a formula I found online:

MAINTENANCE CALORIES
WEIGHT 165 X 11 = 1815
1815 + (1815 X METABOLIC RATE 0.5) = 2725

LEAN MASS GAIN CALORIES
MAINTENANCE 2725 + 500 = 3225

With these numbers in mind I devised the following diet plan:

MEAL 1 (ON WAKING)
2 SCOOPS PRO-MASS
1 PINT WHOLE MILK
1 PINT WATER
= 400 CALS

MEAL 2 (30 MINS LATER)
1 CUP OATMEAL
3 BOILED EGGS
2 PINTS WATER
= 500 CALS

MEAL 3 (PRE-WORKOUT)
2 SCOOPS PRO-MASS
1 SCOOP PRO-CREATINE
1 PINT WHOLE MILK
1 PINT WATER
= 400 CALS

(DURING MY WORKOUT I DRINK A FUCKLOAD OF WATER!)

MEAL 4 (IMMEDIATELY POST-WORKOUT)
2 SCOOPS PRO-RECOVER
1 PINT WATER
= 300 CALS

MEAL 5 (POST-WORKOUT)
1 CUP OATMEAL
3 BOILED EGGS
2 PINTS WATER
= 500 CALS

MEAL 6
DINNER (THIS IS THE FAMILY MEAL I DO NOT MAKE MYSELF - ALWAYS GOOD STUFF THOUGH! TONIGHT FOR EXAMPLE HAD A BOWL OF HOMEMADE SCOTCH BROTH SOUP TO START THEN 2 HELPINGS OF ROAST CHICKEM, MASHED CARROT AND TURNIP, SPINACH AND POTATOES THEN A FRUIT SALAD OF BANANA, APPLE, KIWI, PEAR, GRAPES AND YOGHURT)
2 PINTS WATER

MEAL 7 (BEFORE BED)
2 SCOOPS PRO-MASS
1 PINT WHOLE MILK
1 PINT WATER
= 400 CALS

MEAL 8 (DURING THE NIGHT - ALMOST ALWAYS WAKE UP TO PISS DUE TO WATER INTAKE DURING THE DAY SO SLAM A SHAKE BEFORE GOING BACK TO BED)
2 SCOOPS PRO-MASS
1 PINT WHOLE MILK
1 PINT WATER
= 400 CALS

TOTAL CALS (WITHOUT DINNER) = 2900

I’ll say with some conviction that dinner is always more than three hundred calories so with that in mind I’m hitting my target for mass gain and then some. By my calculation I’m also easily drinking over a gallon of water every day as I have read this is a must. Any comments on the diet plan?

I have just proof-read this and can see that it is a bit of an essay! Would greatly appreciate some comments and feedback from some guys with far more experience under the iron than I.

Cheers.

A

Given what you are currently lifting, essentially anything will work. Really. The program you put together is OK but a bit random and really too complex given your strength level. You seem like the perfect candidate for starting strength. Search it on the site. This is a strength program so it may not give you your size goals in the 3-month horizon, but until you are able to move some real weight, meaning at very least squat 275x5 and bench 185x5, you are just fooling yourself about doing anything with your body other than thinking too hard about it.

I did starting strength and it got my squat from 185x5 to 315x5 in 4 months. It only got my bench up from 215x5 to 235x5 but clearly the program does what it sells. Really, you are thinking about this WAY too hard. If the basic starting strength isn’t enough, in 3 or 4 weeks add dips and pullups at the end of each workout. But that said, if you’re thinking this, it probably means you’re not doing the basic lifts hard enough. Setting 3 Personal Records every single workout is seriously taxing.

I mean this with kindness, but quit jerking around reading TNation and just follow a simple routine for 6 months. Once you max out on SS, go to madcow or Texas method if you want to keep focusing on strength or a basic split routine if you want to start getting some size.

I’d say pick a routine, follow it, make gains, and eat like crazy. When the gains start stalling, start researching more about what you’re doing nutrition wise and such.

And just throwing it out there, theres quite an amount of shakes you outlined in that diet. Nothing really wrong with that, but I’d recommend more solid food just for the fact that it tends to be better in my opinion.

I got this. Im the same as you man. Went to college and surprisingly lost a shit ton of weight. i was 6’3 178 when i left and came home for summer at a low 160.

I bought this book^^ which has an incredible plan that can be found on this website some where, but basically consits of

Squat
Bench
Dead lift

Squat
Military press
Power Clean

Three days a week, MWF. Its set up so first week you go 1,2,1 next week 2,1,2. two sets with the bar, and then ramp up to your 5 rep max and do two or three sets with that weight, every week increase the weight. very similar to this program http://madcow.wackyhq.com/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

about your calories eat more. Go to the store and get frozen hamburgers and chicken breasts and instant mashed potatoes. eat that with a tall glass of milk instead of all your protien shakes.

with that said, i went from that low 160, to 200 pounds in about 3 months. The key is, if you are working out consistently but not feeling stronger and happy, you are not eating enough. you are paying attention to the details and that is where you make the biggest difference.

Your plan is ok, but i think you will be see better results from what i suggested. your diet looks pretty good as well, but i think you would do better eating solid food as opposed to protien shakes. protien works, but food is more natural for the body to use.

What are your goals? I mean more specifically than weight gain?

Aesthetics? Raw strength? Are you more interested in bodybuilding or powerlifting?