I’m looking for some advice/personal experience on coming off of anti-depressants after beginning TRT.
One of my long standing theories is that my depression/anxiety was a misdiagnosis and actually it was just my hormones that were the issue and now I’ve been on the TRT for nearly 6 months. I’m interested in potentially coming off of Sertraline.
What I’m interested in is “has anyone been through what I’ve been through, and found life better after coming off the anti depressants” or were you still depressed and anxious after and had to go back on again? I’m beginning to wonder if I’m now creating a new issue by resolving the hormone problem, but remaining on a high dose of Sertraline…
Long story (so I’ll shorten it!)
- Started on anti-depressants at the age of 18 after being diagnosed with depression and anxiety. (20mg of Seroxat/Peroxetine)
- Switched to Clompipramine (a Tri-cyclic) in 2008 for 2 years and gained 6 stone in 9 months
- Managed to come off of Clompipramine as I hated the side effects
- Got diagnosed with low testosterone in 2009 (5 nm/dl range is 10 to 25)
- Got onto Prozac (20mg) and 2 sachets of Testogel per day
- Testosterone rose to around 15 nm/dl - felt good for initial 2 weeks, did nothing after that. This carried on for a few years.
- Came off all meds entirely in 2012 as I wanted to have a family (No anti depressants, no testosterone) - but taking a sh*t load of supplements - mainly because I think this is how I was managing my anxiety.
- First child born in 2014 (woo hoo!) - had a complete anxiety melt down so started Sertraline and have been on 150mg ever since.
- Learnt a lot about TRT over the years and I think my body seems to err on the high estrogen side which causes a lot of my issues. I took tamoxifen for a few months in 2016 and we got pregnant again with our second child (my son).
So as you can see, I’ve been on antidepressants for 20 odd years now (since 1999) and I’ve known about a testosterone issue for about 12 years. I finally found a great consultant in the UK and started on proper TRT in October. My current reginmine is:
- 100mg Test Cypionate intra muscular injection every 4 days
- 50mcg of Thyroxine daily (T4 seemed a bit low)
- 0.5mg Anastrazole every 7 days
I’m feeling pretty good, although, the anastrazole is new (only started a few weeks ago) and I think my E2 is still too high for me. There’s a clear sweetspot when my test is up and my E2 is somewhere between 100 and 130 pmol/L (range is 41 - 159 for men).
So, at my last blood test (pre Anastrazole) I was at:
Testosterone: 36.3 nmol/L
Free Testosterone: 1.103 nmol/L
Oestradiol: 221 pmol/L
Free T4: 12.3 pmol/L
Free T3: 4.93 pmol/L
TSH: 0.81 mlU/L
Cortisol: 145 nmol/L
SHBG: 20 nmol/L
Any thoughts welcome!