Coming of Age - Rite of Passage

This might be an odd topic to bring up, but my oldest son will soon be turning 13. Kind of a big deal to both him and I. So I’ve looking to make it a bit more special than just the normal birthday deal. He’s a lot more mature than other kids his age so I believe he’d really appreciate the significance of something like a rite of passage ordeal.

Has anyone else ever done anything similar? Any ideas that you might want to share. Unfortunately, we don’t have any other family in the area so as far as “male elders” it’s pretty much just me.

Plus, what would be a great gift idea to celebrate this event? Something that lets him know he is now becoming a man.

Again, I know this is probably an odd idea to some, but I really appreciate any ideas anyone might have. Thanks.

Tattoo?

Bench and 300lb weights set.

Season Ticket to his fav football/baseball etc team

Take him on a hunting trip

Teach him how to fend for himself in the wild

Find a deserted place and let him drive your car

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
Bench and 300lb weights set.

Season Ticket to his fav football/baseball etc team

Take him on a hunting trip

Teach him how to fend for himself in the wild

Find a deserted place and let him drive your car

[/quote]

I’d like to add:

Bring him to the gym with you, put him through your workout (exactly the same, except for the weights used of course). And if you use a supp (Surge) let him use it too.

hooker

Have him kill a man

just kidding of course

At thirteen I was placed in charge of all camp fires that year. Unfortunately that also ment firewood, uuh!

My sixteenth was a three day solo in the Sooke hills. Minimum food and supplies. That was an experience I still vividly remember today. I came away with such a feeling of self accomplishment, I knew how to survive.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Tattoo? [/quote]

Lol! That’ll be after he turns 18. Probably a family crest once I get it certified.

Thanks guys.

He’s got the bench, weights, rack, etc. so I do like the idea of having him work the same routine as me (different weights). I was thinking I might really kick his ass with a long run and grueling workout the first time…something to really test him.

Thosebananas…actually, I’ve considered the wilderness idea, and that would work out great since we’ll be heading up to PA to visit family around that time. Some of the stuff I’ve found has the youth taken to the woods and left there (or so he believes) while his father watches unseen from afar just to make sure he’s safe. I’ve been teaching him archery, shooting, and working on some trapping…things I think everyone should know a little about just in case. Hmm…the car idea sounds good as well. I bet he’d get a kick out of that as well.

I’m thinking of stretching this out over the course of several days…maybe incorporating various discussions and things like the Nine Noble Virtues, Samurai Code, and stuff like that. Something to get him thinking.

[quote]Zack Nelson wrote:
Have him kill a man

just kidding of course[/quote]

wow, way better than my hooker idea!

take him to a concert and take him into the pit.

and im talking a proper pit, like slayer or hatebreed etc. even better if a wall of death starts or a circle pit. thats the sort of stuff id have loved to do with my dad.

Scott

Thosebananas, I’d definitely take him to one of those shows if they ever came around here. Our scene is dead, and I’m a huge metalhead…and I mean extreme metal. I did get to take him and my middle son to see The Casualities once before and they loved it…they got to hang out with the band who gave them all sorts of free merch cause they were the only kids there. Wow, that was like four years ago.

Go to a back road and let him drive.

even make a bit of a road trip of it to see a big band in a big venue somewhere.

i got excited at going to watch my dad play rugby when i was 13. think how excited he will be if your going on a big roadtrip to see a metal band. very “grown up”

Scott

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
Zack Nelson wrote:
Have him kill a man

just kidding of course

wow, way better than my hooker idea![/quote]

you could meet halfway and have him kill a hooker.

The best presents are decorative and/or utilitarian. If he shoots, a real, well crafted wood bow might be right up his alley.

I was hoping I could find a local blacksmith that could help him forge his own personal knife. I got a one from my grandfather a long time ago and thought it was a big deal. One that he makes himself would probably be pretty awesome. Just can’t find any around here that don’t do railings only.

Rite of Passage. Get him a goal and help him train or work to achieve it.

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
Go to a back road and let him drive. [/quote]

We did that in my Dad’s truck. Not on my birthday, but it was awesome.

A weight set is a great idea. I remember begging for one when I was 13 and they wouldn’t get it.

If you smoke weed, you could smoke weed with him. Or you could give him something your father gave you and make a big deal about it.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
Zack Nelson wrote:
Have him kill a man

just kidding of course

wow, way better than my hooker idea![/quote]

Kill a hooker.

I like the idea of taking him out in the woods and learning to live off the land. Have him kill, cook then eat his own meals.

After a few days, do some volunteer work like habitat for humanity or something along those lines where he can see something being built with his own hands while helping those that are less fortunate.

I wish my dad would have done something cool like this for me.