T Nation

Coming Back to Training After 6 Months. Treat Body Like a Beginner?

I can’t train even remotely hard for 6 months.do think i could approach a come back like a beginner sorta speak. even though i’m not.I just want to do everything right this time around. I’ve set up some training I always wanted to try, for example a private gym to learn the Olympic lifts and first swimming lessons for my first month back.I’m 46 and would love to try some powerlifting before I’m 50.It’s a lot but I’ve got time,never lost the competitive edge

Are you saying:

1. You haven’t trained in 6 months (per your title)?

or

1. You can’t train hard for 6 months (per your first sentence) ?

can’t train for the next 6 months,bicep tendon surgery`

Ok…so you’re asking when you come back in 6 months after having your surgery if you should train as if you’ve just had surgery and haven’t worked out in 6 months?

I think yes is the right answer here.

Also…kind of confused where you say “I’ve set up some training I always wanted to try, for example a private gym to learn the Olympic lifts and first swimming lessons for my first month back”…does this mean you’ve already arranged/paid for the private gym and/or swimming lessons, or are you asking us if we think you should do this?

No training at all? Or nothing involving your bicep?

I’m lucky enough to lift in a world-class powerlifting gym with awesome equipment. I can think of several things I’d be doing if I could while my bicep heals.

SSB squats
Leg press
Belt squats
Reverse Hyper
Calf raise

Is something like that a possibility for you?

Good luck. You might want to treat your body as a beginner to save the joints while you’re recovering.

I’LL be doing all lower body stuff plus all train my good side with DB etc, to keep things up

my single arm work would be single DB press,delt press, db upright row, db row, all delt raises and grip work. I’ll also walk and walk w/ 20lb vest.after my post-op 7/13 i’ll see about walk jog since I have only 1 lung do to lung cancer.

2 week of recovery,pain is minimal more range of motion that i thought,start exercise my good side; db floor press,shoulder press, db row 2sets of 20 w/ 20lbs, delt raises tri-set vew/ 10 lbs some abs and grip it’s all the weights I have at home.after my post-op appt, going to the gym.
I had a nerve block for the surgery, couldn’t’feal arm for over 20hrs that meant less oxy’s , everything is going fine,except to much time on my hands, probably shouldn’t post this in my log but OH Well.1 thing I got is great doctors in Boston. MGH is great

Is English your first language?

no, Italian. I’m also having trouble with my key pad and trouble typing

molto bene !

thank you