Coming Back From the Dead

Don’t you see them? Between the posts - and jumping out from the side - I can hardly see the page.

you must have a virus or something. there are no ads.

No ads. Hey where are the workouts. What exactly is going on in here.

Is this like the movie Gaslight where they drive Ingrid Bergman mad? “The lights aren’t going out, it’s your imagination!” OK, I think I’ve closed the ads down. My God, what’s wrong with Firefox, it’s gone totally beserk since I upgraded it some weeks back.

Dude, sorry about no postings. Briefly: did 5 reps of 180 in squat, no problemo. Five reps of 135 bench, a little little easier. Figured out why cable stuff so easy, it was double pulley stuff which halved the weight. Found a stack with one pulley and it kicked my butt.

Anyway. Mid week workout according to 5x5:
Squat
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 5
125 x 5 ho hum

OH press
45 x 5
55 x 5
75 x 5
95 x 3 OK, got it up the first try, pretty tough but not QUITE as hard as last time
65 x 10 got PO’d, blasted away, got some pump out of it

Deadlift
105 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5 aha. If I put 2 plates on each end and rotate them right, at least one will always have a rounded part on the floor.

Cybex ab
110 x 8
110 x 8 wow, going up on this

Been ages since I did the leg curl. Really need to work hams. How will it go?

Cybex Leg Curl
70 x 10
70 x 10

scaree. it’s flying up and hitting my butt.

Home to eat, sleep, and grade stuff.

Nice work.

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
have you tried external rotations for your rotator cuff? helped mine. [/quote]

Definitely try rotations - cable works great, can go both ways - Overhead press you are doing to balance it and push-ups are great - going all the way through so you are raised on your rhomboids, there’s a couple of inches left after you think you are at full extension, just working this last bit with arms extended really seems to open up my shoulder blades

Also, Dr Fred Hatfield wrote about “scap pads” and used to sell a bench that had one built in, I don’t think it’s available anymore (Google fred hatfield and scap pad bench - I don’t think I can insert the link here because it’s a commercial site) but here are the claims:

"â?¢ Say goodbye to injured rotator cuffs
â?¢ Bench press 10% more than ever before

Consider: Lying on your back with 300-400 or more pounds in your hands pressing your scapulae into the flat bench beneath. You lower the bar to your chest. But the scapulae are pinned to the bench and cannot slide inwards as you lower the bar. And neither can they slide outward as you raise the bar off your chest. This is not good! It causes undue stress on the tendons of the long heads of your biceps. The results?

â?¢ Nagging long-lasting pain from biceps tendinitis
â?¢ You canâ??t lift as much
â?¢ Far less strength is developed"

basically it raised the lifter up off the bench so the scaps weren’t pinned down I’ve been experimenting with a pool noodle I cut in half and lay along my spine on the bench, this takes some pressure off, although I need a thicker piece . . .

Dude, thanks.

Abx, if you really think someday I’ll bench 300, thanks, but it’s been a monster uphill battle for years and still not at 200. Anyway, I’ve done mobility stuff for rotator cuff and still doing it. As for Hatfield, I’m always skeptical when someone tries to sell me something. I really doubt I have a “scap pad” deficiency.

Today’s question: shall I go up in weight? I think I shall!

Squat
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 5
185 x 3 this was tough, and form not totally perfect, but did it. will work on it. a bit easier than the last time I did 185
125 x 8 grr. die, legs, die

Bench
55 x 5
75 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
140 x 3 huffed & puffed, kept everything tight, did it. will spend the next couple of weeks on this
95 x 8

OK, got tired of weight stacks being different at the gyms, so bit the bullet and do the real deal
Barbell rows
45 x 5
65 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 5

testing my strength, seeing what I can do, will settle on weight in a week or so.

Dip
-50 x 8
-50 x 8

dang, getting better

Because of the BB rows, will eschew chins. Worn out, do something easy
Barbell curls
30 x 10
40 x 10
50 x 5

Go home, eat the kitchen, watch Columbo.

Cav- Die Legs Die, LOL, reminds me of farmer. Nice 140x3 on BP, next week 142.5x3.

Thanks, Dude. Not so sure about 145 next week, will be patient. Smallest weight they have is 2.5, can only go up 5 lbs at a time.

BLECHHHHH!!! OK, I think I finally got over my browser issues. After several hours of ripping out malware and testing and crap (and doing stuff for school online) here’s the verdict: my Firefox is hopelessly infected with some adware crap. Chrome is aslo infected. However, IE is doing fine. (??) Downloaded Opera. It’s doing great. Now using Opera. Downside: gotta transfer all my bookmarks and passwords and junk. Slow going. Looks like I’m finally back on TNation.

Got hit by super storm. School cancelled. Today"s workout:

Brush snow off car’s windshield

Scrape ice off rear windshield

Knock ice off front grill and lights

Brush snow off car root

Scrape ice off windows

You don’t actually think I made it to the gym today, did you?

So you had a good ‘functional’ workout day.

Yeah functional, you could have done rounds for time and done the whole parking lot. LOL

Yeah, it was a decent workout. The whole parking lot??? They’d have to pay me!!

Actually, missing a regular workout might have done me some good, have a chance to recover.

Squat
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 5
125 x 5

OH Press
45 x 5
55 x 5
75 x 5 not too bad, dare I try more reps on 95?
95 x 5 PR

Deadlift
105 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
230 x 5

whew, that felt hard. Wait, all deads feel hard.

Cybex Ab
110 x 10
110 x 10

Leg curl
75 x 8
75 x 8

Super Congrats on the MP PR!! If you run out of snow just let me know, you can do my driveway anytime you want!!

Sure, Goat. That’ll be $45 per hour, please. (I’m a college instructor - gotta get money any way I can.)

Good god - not MORE snow. Gotta dig the car out. Sure wish we could send this gunk to California, they need it.

Since I missed last week’s workout, will repeat the one from last Sunday:

Squat
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 5
185 x 3 oomph, this was hard. Got really low.
125 x 8

Bench
55 x 5
75 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
140 x 3 OK, had decent control
95 x 8

Barbell Row
45 x 5
65 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 3 kinda tough, got it
95 x 8

I think of the guys at Ludus Magnus and how occasionaly they’d accuse me of having a mental block. “You’re stronger than you think!” Well, no, I’m not. It takes all of my willpower just to get through these mediocre weights. This really is my strength level. Are those guys so genetically gifted they don’t even understand anything about normal people? Random thoughts.

Dip
-50 x 11
-50 x 11
very good. quite possibly next time I can use the standard bars without assistance.

Barbell curl
40 x 12
50 x 10

Wiped out. Gonna eat.

If you are feeling stronger after laying off then maybe you should try dropping some volume, and going for some singles for a week or two. Just a thought Cav.

[quote]Dude623 wrote:
If you are feeling stronger after laying off then maybe you should try dropping some volume, and going for some singles for a week or two. Just a thought Cav. [/quote]

Mmmm . . . don’t think so. The program’s working pretty well as is. Might be time for a deload. Frankly, my life is so mixed up right now don’t want to try to think about something I can just leave on autopilot.

Got really cold again. Had to gas up car, but gas cap iced up and stuck. I grabbed, heaved, and tore it apart. Half stuck in hole. Had to go to garage, they pried it out, then I gassed up. Late to work. Today bought a new one. Incredible all the crap I’ve gone through in the past few weeks.

Did the workout today which I didn’t get a chance to do last week:

Squat
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 5
185 x 5 was tough, but did it. lower back a little sore, seems OK now.

Bench
55 x 5
75 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
140 x 5
last couple reps tough, but no grinders and I had decent control. Promising.

Bar row
45 x 5
65 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5 whew, tough. might want to stay there for a week

Sit ups w DB
45 x 10
45 x 10

hard to breath, but really want to progress on it

Cybex back ext
150 x 10
150 x 10

back felt effects from squatting - it’s a lot of weight for me - so hung on chin up bar. Decompresses spine, felt good.

bar rows are quite tough for me too.

Been a long while since I’ve done bar rows, so getting back into it. I do seem to recall that 95 lbs or so was about my limit then, so possibly I’ve progressed since then.

Thanks to Prez Day, the school shut down, so I couldn’t do tutoring. Grr. Take it out on the weights:

Squat
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 5
125 x 5

OH press
45 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 5
100 x 2 I think this is a PR, may have done 100 before but only 1 rep. Was making some pretty ugly faces doing it
70 x 8 die, shoulders, die

Deadlift
105 x 5
135 x 5
195 x 5
235 x 5

I used to do mixed grip Right underhand Left overhand, it seemed to twist against my scoliosis. Trainer at Ludus Magnus, though, had me reverse - right over left under - since you want the weaker arm to go underhand which is easier. So started the 235 like that, huffed & puffed. In middle of set, I switched back to old. Whadya know - just yanked the bar up.

Cybex Ab
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
hard to believe I had just done 110 last week, 115 felt hard. just grind through it and stay there for a couple weeks.

Cybex Leg Curl
75 x 11
75 x 11
good job.

Looks like smart training to me… stay with a weight til you own it…and then move up small…I need to do more of that…And congrats on the PR!

Sorry about the snow and car issues Cav. Spring is just around the corner!